British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

I guess we'll know whether or not it is over-priced by how many people turn up. At the end of the day, that will be the most telling factor.

54 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I guess we'll know whether or not it is over-priced by how many people turn up. At the end of the day, that will be the most telling factor.

It will certainly be a significant contributory factor but the event seems not to have captured the imagination of fans or the public and holding it on a Tuesday at 7pm doesn't help either. If it is price alone then the minimum £19 standing area will probably be proportionately fuller than other parts of the stadium.

I would expect a sparse stadium, especially on a Tuesday.

3 hours ago, spanner47 said:

Sorry Phil, you'll need a better one than that. The only two day events in the olympics (that I can think of) don't end with a sudden death race off. If the best athlete is way ahead then he/she only has to do "ok" in the final event. 

Most Olympic sports do have a sudden death final at the end of a couple of days of qualifying heats.

For example, the 100m has heats one daytime, semi the following day, concluding with the final by the end of the evening.  When Bolt had a poor final last year, that was it.  He didn't still win the event, because he'd been first in a qualifier.

The curling has a whole round-robin to determine the top four, but then becomes knockout.

One exception is the heptathlon or decathlon, but those are a combination of different sports and a different kettle of fish.

Otherwise there is nearly always some sort of final.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

But, crucially, without a sick note.  So no replacement allowed under SON rules. 

Must of had a sick note as they used R/R in the return at Leicester in the evening.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Most Olympic sports do have a sudden death final at the end of a couple of days of qualifying heats.

For example, the 100m has heats one daytime, semi the following day, concluding with the final by the end of the evening.  When Bolt had a poor final last year, that was it.  He didn't still win the event, because he'd been first in a qualifier.

The curling has a whole round-robin to determine the top four, but then becomes knockout.

One exception is the heptathlon or decathlon, but those are a combination of different sports and a different kettle of fish.

Big difference between a 100m final and SoN two day event with one final race deciding the winner.

A 100m final has qualifying rounds leading to a one race final.  SoN has qualifiers ie Teterow and Belle Vue, then off to Poland for the final - which is where the similarity ends. Presumably the 2 highest teams after two days get to race each other - THATS the big difference. SoN races 2 days to accumulate a points tally, and the highest scorers may not win.  Something not gelling with me with that.

Has Craig Cook been banned for seven days? if so when does that end?

Edited by waytogo28
spelling error

11 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Has Craig Cook been banned for seven days? if so when does that end?

Have you not just answered your own question 

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Must of had a sick note as they used R/R in the return at Leicester in the evening.

If he was banned, Belle Vue would have been granted a facility so no need for a sick note surely

18 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

If he was banned, Belle Vue would have been granted a facility so no need for a sick note surely

sorry should have read the press release- didn`t realise he is on a 7 day ban.

4 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

At over £100 for seats for me ,the Mrs and our son I think I will give it a miss, if anybody thinks that’s a bargain there is a place on the british speedway management comitee waiting for you 

£18 down backstraight

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Since speedway has gone down this route of semis and finals. I wonder how the World Championship roll of honour would have looked. Only just recently we had the u21 final where Dan Bewley dropped just the one point, but did not make the rostrum!

So come next weeks Pairs Final it will come down to one race. This is for T.V purposes i gather. Anything else then it is a joke. Why keep changing the rules of our sport, year in year out?. It's certainly not getting more people through the turnstiles.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Have you not just answered your own question 

Not quite but nearly, depending on which day a ban starts. A ban given on Monday is more likely to commence on the Tuesday and therefore end on which day the next week. IF a ban was given on the Weds then CC could not ride in the SofN. As no official notice about the ban seems to be found it is hard to understand  what is / has been / or will be going on.

My question was - Has Craig Cook been banned for seven days? if so when does that end?

Just to muddy the waters a bit more:rolleyes: surely any ban is a domestic one and does not affect FIM meetings.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

Anything else then it is a joke

One of the reasons that less and less people do come through the turnstiles. The sport is seen as joke more and more. Thankfully not many people in the outside world know about speedway or the sound of the laughter would be like thunder. 

• Like 1