British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

13 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Speedway of Nations? Can’t see it lasting long and not as good as World Team Cup. Total borefest packed with lesser riders!

But it introduces young new speedway nations, who otherwise would not get on the world stage, they said. But who are they that are worth watching? Where are they? Next year have teams of one rider and nearly every country has a second string who could proudly take their place.

2 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Not sure this is that bad, just needs tweaking. I love the idea of team riding, a lost art of the sport. But, when we get to the final, we should see more riders of similar ability which should make it much more interesting.

Team Riding is almost non existent nowadays.

Though there is a British rider who is very good at it when required. 

The much maligned 

Ben Barker

• Like 2

The meeting exactly as I thought it would be - boring.   With Best Pairs you expect team riding - alas, todays riders do not know how to team ride. Opportunities were there but riders didn't know what to do. Even the winners, Russia, team riding was lacking.  Racing was dull, and the track certainly didn't help to produce better racing.  I recorded the program, like I do the GP's, but as soon as it finished I deleted the recording, watching it again wont improve the situation.  Bring back the four man team, 4 individuals racing against each other.

• Like 1

Tonight wasn't ideal, but I do think it's got more potential than the SWC which requires teams to have 4 good riders. This allows smaller speedway nations with less top riders to still have a chance, and brings us the art of team riding back into world speedway.

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It's just been said that some countries don't have U21 riders of a sufficient capability level..

So why make that the rule?:blink:

I've never understood this rule going back to the World Cup... don't the Under 21s have a competition of their own? So why compulsory in the senior version?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

The meeting exactly as I thought it would be - boring.   With Best Pairs you expect team riding - alas, todays riders do not know how to team ride. Opportunities were there but riders didn't know what to do. Even the winners, Russia, team riding was lacking.  Racing was dull, and the track certainly didn't help to produce better racing.  I recorded the program, like I do the GP's, but as soon as it finished I deleted the recording, watching it again wont improve the situation.  Bring back the four man team, 4 individuals racing against each other.

Still better than me. I gave it 2 races before I binned it.

When I went Teterow a few years ago I saw a very entertaining meeting.

tonight the racing was poor quality with hardly any GOOD races

• Like 1

Well that was rubbish, even worse than the Eurosport pairs thing, and that's poor! Nowhere near as good as the swc was imo

And I can't understand what all the sniping at the commentators is about? I think they do a fine job trying to inject some entertainment and excitement where there is none.

All you moaners should try and keep talking positively for 3 hours...

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

All you moaners should try and keep talking positively for 3 hours...

Being positive is fine, but Is it moaning to simply want a better commentator for the product we pay a lot of money for that actually gets the score right?   I don't think it is.  Tatum is fine, at least he interjects some technical knowledge now and then. I am not sure what Pearson adds to the product? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So glad I watched it on delayed coverage and it only took about an hour of my life up. Absolutely awful meeting,  format might work with equal standard teams. Cringey watching Danes celebrate beating the mighty Slovenia to attain their final place.

Dire fare all round tonight. Tuesday should be better on a decent track. Final may be better still with more equal sides. 

Rico :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

You  have forgotten one thing- the team with the extra rider still have to finish the race although  poodling around at the back. Just consider the excitement if one has an ef on the 3rd lap, will he be lapped  and excluded or can he get to the finish line in time so he isn`t lapped. !!

I was so nearly right tonight- i just didn`t think of a steel shoe scenario :D

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Being positive is fine, but Is it moaning to simply want a better commentator for the product we pay a lot of money for that actually gets the score right?   I don't think it is.  Tatum is fine, at least he interjects some technical knowledge now and then. I am not sure what Pearson adds to the product? 

Who do you suggest? The only other possibility I can think of is Darren Fletcher

13 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Tonight wasn't ideal, but I do think it's got more potential than the SWC which requires teams to have 4 good riders. This allows smaller speedway nations with less top riders to still have a chance, and brings us the art of team riding back into world speedway.

The standard of Speedway in GB has been getting weaker year in year out. IMO the World Team Cup was the one competition especially the latter stages where four riders going hammer and tongues was absolutely brilliant. But changing it to this pairs format, on todays showing is a massive backward step. The difference in class between some of the riders was woful.

Maybe when it comes to the two day final, things might change, but why in general does mediocracy seem to be the way forward?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, skydog said:

I've never understood this rule going back to the World Cup... don't the Under 21s have a competition of their own? So why compulsory in the senior version?

Correct...

You don't have to include an 'over 21' in theirs, so why the need to bring an U21 rider into THE Premier World 'Team' Championship?

It should simply be the best three riders from each country regardless of age..

As can be seen, many cannot even muster two 'decent' riders so whatever system you have will be largely ineffective,  however it will at least bring three riders per 'pair' to each event...

Thinking out loud though, it has finally dawned on me where they got the the 'Three riders per Pair' idea from...

It must be based on the British Speedway system whereby 'a pair of fixed race nights' actually add up to three...:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

The standard of Speedway in GB has been getting weaker year in year out. IMO the World Team Cup was the one competition especially the latter stages where four riders going hammer and tongues was absolutely brilliant. But changing it to this pairs format, on todays showing is a massive backward step. The difference in class between some of the riders was woful.

Maybe when it comes to the two day final, things might change, but why in general does mediocracy seem to be the way forward?

I do take your point Tyler, but most seasons it would be Poland v one other nation who happen to have a good four riders capable of matching Poland.  At least with this format there should be three or four nations capable of putting decent pair of riders together.