British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

58 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This goes back to the old argument of type of fans who watch speedway, fans like me are interested in that kind of thing but the majority of fans haven’t a clue about the mechanical side of the sport and are not interested, my Mrs is your typical speedway fan and switches off when i explain about the technical side, it’s not a motorsport it’s a sport on motorbikes, I don’t get the moaning about pearson and Tatum, just turn the sound down, although I watch the polish even though we have BT 

agree,but it's better than going over the same thing every 5 mins.Agree regarding just turn sound down.

57 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The point about venue options is actually quite chilling. Have we really reached the situation where our supposedly premium events can only be staged on a handful of tracks? If so, why run them?

There are still plenty of tracks that could stage a pairs events, and there are better options in Poland than Wroclaw. Any track still able to pull 9,000 fans these days must be doing something right, but apparently isn't interested in staging a world championship event. 

You therefore have to ask whether the price being asked, or the financial conditions being imposed are too great for those tracks. 

On 5/19/2018 at 1:11 PM, racers and royals said:

Rules are here http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/  in search put in speedway of nations

more from the rules

Race Off 1 & 2
After the 21 qualification heats there will be 2 additional heats.
Heat 22 will consist of the team in 4th & 5th place.
Heat 23 will consist of the team in 3rd place and the winner of heat
The winner of heat 23 will join the 1st and 2nd placed teams in qualifying
for the finals.
Final 1 & 2
The Scores from Final 1 will be added to the scores from Final 2
(42 Heats) to determine 4th to 7th place for the 2018 SoN.
Final 2 will consist of 2 extra heats, a Semi Final heat and a Grand Final
heat to determine the top 3 of the 2018 SoN.
Heat 22 (Semi Final heat) will consist of the 2nd & 3rd placed teams from
the 42 qualifying heats.

The winning team of the Semi Final heat will join the top scoring team in
heat 23 the Grand Final heat.
The winning team of the Grand Final heat will become 2018 SoN
champions.
The losing team of the Grand Final Heat will become 2018 SoN Runner
up.
The losing team of the Semi Final Heat will become 2018 SoN Third
Place.

Time to ressurect this post i made several days ago 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

The attendance was poor yesterday. Possibly around 2,000? What does anyone else think? The two day Final must sell out if they are only selling two day tickets. But if you live some way away you might not bother to go to the 1st day I suppose. Watch it on TV, as I do and greatly enjoy it as I do for the GPs, as I can't get there and can't afford to if I could. Not that there was much to enjoy yesterday.

On the german forum an estimate of 1,000-1,500 was given and many others mentioning how poor the crowd was....no mention of attendance on the speedweek report from the meeting 

See, the racing was so crap we're talking about how crap Pearson was. 

It's such a same that Fletch is brilliant at his job and snapped up by BT to cover football. Now he ticks all boxes, brilliant and balanced commentator and he's a speedway fan (used to see him down at Long Eaton), think he did something to help Tai last season didn't he?

4 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

See, the racing was so crap we're talking about how crap Pearson was. 

It's such a same that Fletch is brilliant at his job and snapped up by BT to cover football. Now he ticks all boxes, brilliant and balanced commentator and he's a speedway fan (used to see him down at Long Eaton), think he did something to help Tai last season didn't he?

He's brilliant until he does something wrong, which he will and then all of the people , who are probably just envious that he has a better job than them, will be calling for his head!

But I do agree that he's good at what he does and it would be nice if BT Sport and IMG woud mix the commentary duties up a bit.

Edited by iainb
  • Thanks 1

Wonder what the FIM, Rzeszow and Hancock would have done if the USA had got through to Wroclaw yesterday- as he has a Bydgoszcz v Rzeszow fixture today

When a Team Manager or a Rider has signed on, he is deemed to have entered the meeting and is not permitted to take part in any other motorcycle meeting until the completion of the FIM SoN, unless eliminated from the competition.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

The shouting I can deal with when it is genuine excitement

Do you honestly think it is genuine? I would say more like being told to shout by their employers to make it more exciting. Still if you think screaming at the top of your voice is ok, thats fine we are all entitled to our opinions, but you should respect other peoples opinions as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tyler42 said:

Do you honestly think it is genuine? I would say more like being told to shout by their employers to make it more exciting. Still if you think screaming at the top of your voice is ok, thats fine we are all entitled to our opinions, but you should respect other peoples opinions as well.

I can respect others opinions regarding style, if you don't like their style that's fair enough, not everybody likes the same thing. What I don't respect is people calling for people to be sacked because of a simple mistake

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Wonder what the FIM, Rzeszow and Hancock would have done if the USA had got through to Wroclaw yesterday- as he has a Bydgoszcz v Rzeszow fixture today

When a Team Manager or a Rider has signed on, he is deemed to have entered the meeting and is not permitted to take part in any other motorcycle meeting until the completion of the FIM SoN, unless eliminated from the competition.

True ! But what a stupid rule anyway !

Martin Smolinski is prevented from riding in a German 2nd Division meeting at Landshut today ! The local fans expecting to see him here are not happy !

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I can respect others opinions regarding style, if you don't like their style that's fair enough, not everybody likes the same thing. What I don't respect is people calling for people to be sacked because of a simple mistake

Fair enough

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevebrum said:

The problem is new people have been tried several times ........ and they fail miserably because of lack of knowledge of the sport. It’s a total embarrassment.

only this season Eurosport started their Polish coverage with a ‘new’ commentator who lasted a couple of weeks because his commentary was beyond shocking and clueless. Thankfully Dave Goddard is now doing it who is a speedway fan.

speedway fans commentating is the only credible way. 

Im not ashamed to admit I’m a fan of Nigel and Kelvin and find their excitement and exuberance exciting and sums up our sport perfectly.

Also what I’ve found in speedway is that fans like to moan about everything and anything. If there is a better commentator(s) out there put their names forward to BT as that’s the only way of making changes happen.

our sport is too niche for any recognised commentator to do a credible job, facts that have been proven by those who have tried and failed.

long like our current commentary team, and that includes Dave Goddard on other channels.

They both make gaffs. But I like them both, in my opinion if we didn't have them it would not be as enjoyable. 

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

I haven't read the whole thread, somebody has seriously suggested he should  be sacked? :rolleyes:

Oh please! :rofl:

It certainly wasn't a good meeting. I'll stick with it though, hopefully Tuesday will be  better. Despite the moaners on here I reckon there will be a good crowd. If I was closer I'd go.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

From time to time this arguments rears its ugly head, face it people Pearson & Tatum are the best we have and I don`t see anyone around capable of taken their place any time soon. Personally I like their style and hope they continue for a while yet.

• Like 2