British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Thought the SON went ok-ish, but the formula is well complicted, doubt viewers at home could follow it, the graphics didn't help just the minimal design unlike the excellent GP coverage.  Track was good shape but needed more dirt on the outside, but can't beleive some countries can't even raise a team of 3 riders, there must be some junior who would at least make the numbers.  I'd be surprised to see this competition continuing next year, it was supposed to make it easier for smaller speedway countries to compete as they couldn't get a team 4 or 5 good riders together, seems some can't even get 3.

Also I'm following the IOM TT on ITV4 a well mental sport; 200mph through streets and villages.  Don't understand the different classes, but it's still good to watch and peeps say speedway is complicated (ok, we know it can be).  But as mentioned before I watched SON at my biker mates' house and they happily recorded the TT in order to watch the SON live, I may have neglected to mention GB weren't competing last nite (!), but we still enjoyed it.

Still, Tuesday nite to look forward to, when GB will be rdiing, see how that pans out, I'd also go if I could...

48 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Thought the SON went ok-ish, but the formula is well complicted, doubt viewers at home could follow it, the graphics didn't help just the minimal design unlike the excellent GP coverage.  Track was good shape but needed more dirt on the outside, but can't beleive some countries can't even raise a team of 3 riders, there must be some junior who would at least make the numbers.  I'd be surprised to see this competition continuing next year, it was supposed to make it easier for smaller speedway countries to compete as they couldn't get a team 4 or 5 good riders together, seems some can't even get 3.

Also I'm following the IOM TT on ITV4 a well mental sport; 200mph through streets and villages.  Don't understand the different classes, but it's still good to watch and peeps say speedway is complicated (ok, we know it can be).  But as mentioned before I watched SON at my biker mates' house and they happily recorded the TT in order to watch the SON live, I may have neglected to mention GB weren't competing last nite (!), but we still enjoyed it.

Still, Tuesday nite to look forward to, when GB will be rdiing, see how that pans out, I'd also go if I could...

SAME graphics guys as SGP

The constant Pearson / Tatum criticism on here is so boring.    Get a life and think of another subject to moan about ladies and gents.  

Edited by Mark
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I really like Dave Goddard's style and he does it solo. Just about right.

Agreed, I like how he involves the viewers by reading out tweets

49 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SAME graphics guys as SGP

Yes it shows.
SGP graphics are poor this year too.

Tbh it looks as if someone has taken their eye off the ball in many respects recently.
Whether that due to personnel in Chiswick, Denmark, Geneva or Italy and the decision makers involved, I dont know.

FIM/CCP and/or BSI seem to have lost whatever focus they had on strategy particularly but also organisational and presentation.
We may only be a few meetings into 2018.
But already  2017-2018 is going to go down as a quite of a low point for all the off-track folk.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, iainb said:

BUT he is in a studio. KT and NP have to speak non-stop for the duration because there are no breaks in the world feed coverage. Teterow is particularly testing because the commentary position is poor. In fact they cannot see riders coming off the fourth bend. And being outside it is very noisy plus having talk-back in one ear and the director in the other. 

13 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT he is in a studio. KT and NP have to speak non-stop for the duration because there are no breaks in the world feed coverage. Teterow is particularly testing because the commentary position is poor. In fact they cannot see riders coming off the fourth bend. And being outside it is very noisy plus having talk-back in one ear and the director in the other. 

You can't always make excuses Phil.....The last time I was there was just after a GP and it looked like they had brought a few garden sheds from B+Q to use as official offices for some of the officials!!People knew what the place was like as it must have been inspected and anyway has by the time of this meeting been used often enough now.And given the likely poor crowd in attendance the tv feed is going to be very important as more are going to watch on tv,so at the very least you have to get that right!!!! But no,along with all the other problems it is known that tv are also going to have a hard time doing the job right

Honestly,is it not time to give up or say,we basically have no choice,this is as good as it is going to get.Nobody else wants to host the meetings.........

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

That showed last week on the Swedish coverage when the picture stopped so he just decided to stop commentating, ha ha! I don't blame him

One thing the SON has got going for it on Tuesday night is the weather forecast 

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You can't always make excuses Phil.....The last time I was there was just after a GP and it looked like they had brought a few garden sheds from B+Q to use as official offices for some of the officials!!People knew what the place was like as it must have been inspected and anyway has by the time of this meeting been used often enough now.And given the likely poor crowd in attendance the tv feed is going to be very important as more are going to watch on tv,so at the very least you have to get that right!!!! But no,along with all the other problems it is known that tv are also going to have a hard time doing the job right

Honestly,is it not time to give up or say,we basically have no choice,this is as good as it is going to get.Nobody else wants to host the meetings.........

YOU may be right. I wasn't making excuses for Teterow, just pointing out that providing the TV from there is fraught with problems.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

One thing the SON has got going for it on Tuesday night is the weather forecast 

LINDGREN v Woffinden might just add to that ... might also attract a few Wolves fans who are missing seeing their former top two in live action.

15 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

LINDGREN v Woffinden might just add to that ... might also attract a few Wolves fans who are missing seeing their former top two in live action.

Maybe but talking to a few the other night they said no they wouldn’t be going, I hope it’s a big crowd as it hurts to see small crowds at speedway . Have you any information of how ticket sales are going ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

1 hour ago, iainb said:

He does that cos he's on his own and can't have a chat with a co-commentator.     I've heard him get confused plenty of times with riders and the Swedish rules.   Read through the threads on this forum as he is always asking questions.  

No commentator is perfect, happens in all sports..    I wish people would realise they are human. 

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tyler42 said:

Do you honestly think it is genuine? I would say more like being told to shout by their employers to make it more exciting. Still if you think screaming at the top of your voice is ok, thats fine we are all entitled to our opinions, but you should respect other peoples opinions as well.

It's common knowledge they are instructed to be vocal.  They said it at a talk in quite a while ago. Have a listen to the Polish commentary and tell me they do anything different. It's sport,  it's meant to be enthusiastic commentating. We aren't filming bowls here. :rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Dave often covers Sweden live from a studio. He often repeats several details over again. There is only so much information you can stretch without having to repeat information. 

• Like 1