British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Unlikely, but possible?

Bearing in mind this is 2 days….

Team A score 12 x 3-3 (2nd & 3rd) = 36 points.

Team B score 10 x 5-1 + 2x 3-3 (1st & 4th against Team A) =56 points

Team A ‘win’ Heat 43 (2nd & 3rd) 39 total.

Team A ‘win’ Grand Final (2nd & 3rd) Total 42 points.

Team B (1st & 4th in the Final) Total 59 points!!

Team A lift trophy having never provided a heat winner!

But that Team won every race they were in.

It's meant to be a PAIRS, i.e a TEAM. Your team finishes when your last rider crosses the line. If one of your pair comes last, the other team has finished before you. Totally correct that should take precedence. It's not an alien concept and one used in other sports.

What is lacking these days is team riding sadly.

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

But that Team won every race they were in.

It's meant to be a PAIRS, i.e a TEAM. Your team finishes when your last rider crosses the line. If one of your pair comes last, the other team has finished before you. Totally correct that should take precedence. It's not an alien concept and one used in other sports.

What is lacking these days is team riding sadly.

I wasn't passing judgement. ;) Just showing the possibility. :)

Just now, Gambo said:

I wasn't passing judgement. ;) Just showing the possibility. :)

Fair enough, the usual suspects whinging and moaning seem to be doing so, proclaiming it would never be seen in any other sport.. 

Interesting information you've provided. Similar to Mark Loram being World Champion without winning a GP.

If Lindback shows up surely Sweden are contenders? 

Of course he could be utterly abysmal as well.

You could go around and around on this one about what should take precendence; heat wins as against second/thirds.

I am personally firmly in favour of heat wins ... Speedway is about winning above everything else. But I do undertsand the arguments of the other camp.

I think one of the problems KT and NP faced in commentary is that they had to explain the version that they dont really believe in.
But that is what they have been given to work with ... so they over-compensated with blather.

Like it or not, the idea that second and third wins over the heat winner is a disaster to have for TV and a 'final decider'

It is just daft that we have got to this point and noone (that matters) seems to have noticed.

Edited by Grand Central

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Really? That Russian team suddenly looks alot stronger im not even sure id make the poles favourites and theres no way id say that if was the old system.. that said i still dont like this competition 

It's sort of strange how nobody is talking about Laguta. Yes, the competition wasn't the GP but he was very dominant. And if Emil can get off the line a little better they will be hard to beat.

3 hours ago, paulboy said:

They sounded ever so clear about it last night until Zagar popped up in heat 22!

As previously discussed even professionals are allowed to make mistakes.

2 hours ago, krompa said:

Dimitri Berge seems to be carrying injury since May 21st Abensberg crash.

Anyone with knowledge if France can replace him (rules permitting)?

Or maybe he is fit and ready now?

They should have redeclared then. No point in saying wrong doing now.

once declared you can’t change, as evidenced by the GB/Cook situation last week.

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Supposing a surgeon messed up an operation he was undertaking on you or someone drove into you on a zebra crossingf. I think the 'we all make mistakes' rubbish would soon stop, eh?

The entire point I'm making is that this one should not have happened and of course should be prevented from happening again.

There I've made it as plain as possible. If you can't understand after all this then it's your problem. Yes we all make mistakes. Mine was talking to you, obviously.

"We all make mistakes" x 256

Why not be nice Rob or people will start thinking you are

adjective: pompous
  1. 1.
    affectedly grand or self-important.      :D

This SPEEDWAY OF NATIONS has some creditable things going for it but also has a number of downfalls that need changing in my opinion and judging by a few posts I have flicked through, others seem to think likewise. 

TEAMS are based on three riders with the reserve being an under 21 rider which in principal is fine BUT if these countries want to take part they MUST send a team and not just two riders without any cover for injuries. They should also travel with a standby under 21 rider that can be bought in the next meeting if required to cover for any injury. 

It it was pretty pointless sending Greg Hancock out in a knockout heat against Slovenia when all they had to do was stay upright and keep moving but had they have had the standby Under 21 rider like Broc Nicol in attendance as reserve for the injured Luke Bekker then they can continue their quest for a place in the finals. 

KO STAGE should have scores carried over so should Team A be going into the final on 29 points against Team B on 26 points then Team B must get a 5-1 to win the title while Team A only require a second place. This means if they have a rider break down or be excluded for a fall, they still have the chance to win if the remaining rider can split the opposing pair. 

6 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It is just daft that we have got to this point and noone (that matters) seems to have noticed.

And that is what has been happening to speedway at all levels ( perhaps excepting Poland, although their lower divisions are often very poorly supported )

The club tribalism has been the saviour of the ExtraL. plus the huge piles of money from strange sources inc. public money.

And in Britain the last 20 years have been mismanaged to the point where a revival is unlikely - merely further decline awaits. Very little is thought through. Speedway has disappeared from public view in the UK, forgotten almost entirely by the sports media ( except for BT - Thank You! ). "Everybody makes mistakes " yes, but Every Time? And I don't mean P&T.

• Like 1

Haven't been on the forum over the weekend, I was very disappointed with event 1.  The racing was pretty abysmal on a very dusty track and the knock out heats at the event were a total farce, with Manzares injured & no reserve to replace him, then the Danes celebrating a 3-3 via former GP riders keeping a virtual unknown in 4th was pretty poor from them.

Hopefully event 2 will be better, however it's pretty obvious which 3 teams will progress.  At least the format lends itself to making all heats interesting towards the end.

The final looks like a straight shoot out between the Poles & the Russians, with Denmark & Germany battling it out for 6th.

Edited by Col

8 hours ago, INCOGNITO said:

KO STAGE should have scores carried over so should Team A be going into the final on 29 points against Team B on 26 points then Team B must get a 5-1 to win the title while Team A only require a second place. This means if they have a rider break down or be excluded for a fall, they still have the chance to win if the remaining rider can split the opposing pair. 

Might that not give you a final where one team has already won the meeting?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Yes. And if they are so far ahead after forty odd races then they really should be the winners.

ACTUALLY , I don't know what the obsession with a final is all about here anyway

I know TV demands keep being touted but the SWC operated successfully as a Speedway event and a TV spectacle, packed with drama, and it never had a 'final'. And the TV folk didnt seem too bothered AFAIK.

Lets hope that the lunatics now running the asylum don't bring the SWC back next year with that added 'final 'nonsense tagged on the end in some daft way, and spoil something else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

It also means the during the finals riders will just hold positions to keep their points tally ticking over for Semi and Grand Final,just like GP gathering points for Semi's.The Team with most points should be the Champs IMO .Farcical.