British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Why is is a disaster for TV?

Yet again.. only in speedway. It's a TEAM event so the first TEAM to finish wins. Not a difficult concept.

I understand the arguments regarding the final however not those bleating 'only speedway' does it... as that is far from the case as has been discussed multiple times over.

I agree, no need for the semi and final in this event. 

I note you mentioning no complaints in the World Cup.. well, there were plenty.. the Joker, which was designed to keep the event as close as possible to maintain interest. 

I commented on the lack of complaints about never having final race in the SWC.

I was quite specific.

I made no comment on the joker which we all know raised plentiful complaints.

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

I commented on the lack of complaints about never having final race in the SWC.

I was quite specific.

I made no comment on the joker which we all know raised plentiful complaints.

I was also quite specific. The topic is ensuring a meeting goes to the wire, or as close to for TV purposes. The joker was the system used in the World Cup to try and achieve that. There were massive complaints regarding it. 

Besides, you wouldn't get 'complaints' regarding run away meetings, just simply people turning off.

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Might that not give you a final where one team has already won the meeting?

Yes it could but surely that is better than possibly one rider going up against an unbeatable to riders or one team going all through the event winning races only to suffer a engine failure in the final.

Plus if one team is so far in front, will they be trying in the final heats and gifting a 5-1 to a weaker pairing (1 main rider plus one) could see their main opponents knocked out. 

Whichever way you look at it there are good and bad points to most ways but overall the Champions should be the highest scorers not those fortunate in the final four laps of a week long competition. 

• Like 1

Just a thought having re-watched the Denmark Slovenia race. Zagar outgated MJJ from gate 2 and sped off into the distance leaving Skorja to fend for himself but he was unable to make any inroads into the Danish pair. Maybe I'm being a bit unreasonable here but why couldn't Zagar, having outgated MJJ, have slowed MJJ on the first bend and allowed both Bjerre and Skorja to go outside him? This would have given Skorja a chance to choose his line with Zagar defending against MJJ. Even if MJJ passed either Zagar or Skorja the result would have been no different to how it finished but at least MJJ would have had to fight to get through.

(Edited for punctuation)

Edited by Come on the Skipper
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Come on the Skipper said:

Just a thought having re-watched the Denmark Slovenia race. Zagar outgated MJJ from gate 2 and sped off into the distance leaving Skorja to fend for himself but he was unable to make any inroads into the Danish pair. Maybe I'm being a bit unreasonable here but why couldn't Zagar, having outgated MJJ, have slowed MJJ on the first bend and allowed both Bjerre and Skorja to go outside him? This would have given Skorja a chance to choose his line with Zagar defending against MJJ. Even if MJJ passed either Zagar or Skorja the result would have been no different to how it finished but at least MJJ would have had to fight to get through.

(Edited for punctuation)

I expect Zagar fancied a week off to prepare properly for  Czestochowa on Sunday- rather than riding Friday/Saturday and then Sunday knowing Slovenia hadn’t a chance in Wroclaw lol

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Come on the Skipper said:

(Edited for punctuation)

Precisely.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:19 AM, Ghostwalker said:

I don't think there is a lack of tracks but lack of clubs being able to pay the fees that BSIä demands.

I like it, I like it...

3 hours ago, krompa said:

What's the latest regarding Cookie?

Will he ride? Or it is Tai + Lambo?

Cook is riding, he has said he is ready to race.

It was ridiculous of Rossiter to drop him. Even if you accept that Rossiter mistakenly thought Cook had a medical certificate for 7 days, rather than the automatic 7 day suspension he did have, it would have expired before the race day so mean we couldn't have brought in a replacement for him for illness or injury. There were only disadvantages to dropping Cook because if he doesn't do well he can be replaced by Lambert in any race but if he was dropped and Woffinden or Lambert weren't scoring or, were injured, we would have no reserve to put in. Fortunately, those now in charge of GB saw the stupidity of what had been done and quickly reversed the decision.

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

It was ridiculous of Rossiter to drop him. Even if you accept that Rossiter mistakenly thought Cook had a medical certificate for 7 days, rather than the automatic 7 day suspension he did have, it would have expired before the race day so mean we couldn't have brought in a replacement for him for illness or injury. There were only disadvantages to dropping Cook because if he doesn't do well he can be replaced by Lambert in any race but if he was dropped and Woffinden or Lambert weren't scoring or, were injured, we would have no reserve to put in. Fortunately, those now in charge of GB saw the stupidity of what had been done and quickly reversed the decision.

OK fair enough.

From tactical point of view it would make sense to give Cookie and Lambo 2 rides each and then decide who is better for crucial races with Australia (heat 17) and Sweden (heat 20). 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 2:18 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

(...) You therefore have to ask whether the price being asked, or the financial conditions being imposed are too great for those tracks. 

...and the answer, in my opinion, is yes, the BSI/FIM are cutting their own throat by being too greedy

23 hours ago, iris123 said:

(...) Honestly,is it not time to give up or say,we basically have no choice,this is as good as it is going to get.

Nobody else wants to host the meetings.........

Not for the money they are being asked to pay for hosting these meetings

Actually, it isn't the case that the individual World Championship is decided with a final. Each round may be, but there is no one-off race at the end and it is possible, and indeed has been the case, that the winner is decided before the last round even starts. So it is not an "essential" ingredient of speedway, a "must" to appeal to tv audiences. In fact, neither the WTC or the Grand Prix winners are decided this way. It will be just the pairs. Why?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PolskiZuzel said:

Not for the money they are being asked to pay for hosting these meetings

Which is why I always laugh when people post here that the GP should be held in Pardubice instead of Prague,as if Pardubice have been waiting for years to be able to host one:blink:

33 minutes ago, norbold said:

Actually, it isn't the case that the individual World Championship is decided with a final. Each round may be, but there is no one-off race at the end and it is possible, and indeed has been the case, that the winner is decided before the last round even starts. So it is not an "essential" ingredient of speedway, a "must" to appeal to tv audiences. In fact, neither the WTC or the Grand Prix winners are decided this way. It will be just the pairs. Why?

Very possibly because Armando C. hypnotised all the other FIM panel members into believing it was the best thing possible for bringing on the "lesser" nations.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Thank goodness then that we do have these saner minds in charge of  Team GB Speedway.