British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

2 meetings with race offs etc to decide what was always obvious the 7 teams in final was going to be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Interesting you call winning a race pathetic. What would you use to describe the riders finishing last?

His team didn't win the race, they lost it, as his TEAM came last and he did nothing to help his TEAM.

47 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Mr fantastic woffy rode over the grass every race to the tapes is that not an offence in fim rules ? Didnt see him look over shoulder in first race with craig but he did with lambert .

Aww diddums.

Is that the best Woffy bashing you can come up with tonight?

2 hours ago, Tex said:

Who did the Ukraine replace in Event 1? Sorry having a senior moment...

Slovakia

• Like 1

As soon as the track was returned to how it normally is,not deep with dirt but slick on the inside and grippy outside the racing improved no end.Thought Morris would have learned that from the World Cup race off in 2016.The NSS isn't a track suited to deep dirt.

• Like 2

Track looked saturated early in the meeting which stopped riders passing as they couldn't see and it was very heavy.  It looked a hot day so no blame attached to track staff.

Really good from Woffy who again stuck two fingers up to his haters.  Lambert was excellent and happy to mix it when it got tight.  Feel sad for Cook as dropping him after one heat is an embarassment and it's hardly going to build confidence.  Rosco didn't want him but (I thought) he felt he had to put a GP rider in the team. 

Cook would have been better being not selected as Lambert is by far the better rider on current form.   If GB got a 5-1 in the first heat Rosco would have had to stick with Cook but dropping a point gave Rosco an open door.    Will he do the same at Wroclaw.   One heat, get a 5-1 or your out.     That is unfair.

Pleased the Aussies made the final as we'll see the world champion and Fricke should go well at his home track.   The final should be a lot better than the two semi's as the teams are better matched, no soft heats.  Could be a belter. 

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

Just caught up with  the meeting on delayed live and it wasn`t the commentators who made mistakes tonight it was the graphics - wrong scores, wrong riders in wrong helmet colours in race 22 and unlike Saturday no graphics at all in any races to show which riders were in which gates- a shocking performance from those responsible. :mad:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t bring in any changes. And if they could Kurtz would be picked well before Morris.

Morris is riding the better out of the two averaging more and  you must of convieniently forgotten Morris took the World Champion apart at the Abbey the other week.

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Just caught up with  the meeting on delayed live and it wasn`t the commentators who made mistakes tonight it was the graphics - wrong scores, wrong riders in wrong helmet colours in race 22 and unlike Saturday no graphics at all in any races to show which riders were in which gates- a shocking performance from those responsible. :mad:

Not as many mistakes but did enjoy hearing Swindon were likely to qualify for the finals. 

RESULT was pretty obvious before it started as the predicted three went through and while Franc did well, Milik couldn't save them alone and Australia could just let him go and relax.

RACING wasn't great especially early but don't think that was down to track but the riders in the races. Covati gave the first real good race while Lindgren just has so much speed gating wasn't required in some. 

This is is a great race track but always thought it is too good and that showed up with Berge almost beating Doyke and then Aaranio winning which shows if you ride the right line and have the power it's hard to catch anyone and well done to those two on keeping a good steady line under pressure. 

FINAL should be two great days with seven good teams and while Poland will start favourites, Sweden look like they may be a good bet as Lindgren keeps getting heat wins and Lindback can grab third against anyone. If they do that in the final they could win the title even if Poland and Russia out score them. 

Cook ok may get a ride in Wroclaw as Lambert will find it harder out there and think Tai will be fighting a lone battle there. 

12 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm afraid you'll have to ask RobMcCaffery it was a quote from one of his replies to my posts defending P&T... I just thought I'd repeat it because it made me laugh so much the first time around :rofl:

Careful, you'll be taking the title away from ytsjam for ridiculous comment. 

In any other team sport what do you think the response would be if the commentators  got the score wrong? There would rightly be an outcry. But, because we're dealing with speedway, among the more dimwitted people who follow it, it's okay. I am now convinced that you kept posting your witless 'we all make mistakes' rubbish because you were too stupid to actually follow the discussion. Now you make a cheap comment like this. 

We had another score error tonight, this time on BSI's graphics. Thankfully it was corrected. 

Getting the score wrong would not be accepted in any other sport, so why is it okay in speedway? Is it such a worthless sport that it doesn't matter? 

Regarding tonight overall, unsurprisingly the NSS and professional organisation made a silk purse out of this sow's ear and thankfully we had some good racing with the minor nations not being complete cannon fodder. The ridiculous failure of three nations top provide full teams thankfully didn't compromise the situation. 

i do hope we get a couple of good meetings at Wroclaw. I love the sport and don't want it to fail. but there are too many weaknesses in this 'second and third take all' format which could have an embarrassing finale in heat 43 on Saturday.

Yes I love the sport, but the sheer pig-headed stupidity of some of the supporters drives me to despair sometimes. 

Anyway, to shut iainb up I'll save him some work.

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

But not always on live TV when in front of thousands of people when you're paid well to be taking care not to make mistakes. 

I understand Nigel has apologised, and it's only right that he did. Apparently to some he doesn't need to get it right in future though..............

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

His team didn't win the race, they lost it, as his TEAM came last and he did nothing to help his TEAM.

So really his team mate let him down by coming last? Pathetic of him to win the race

I believe the logic behind the Aussies team selection is that Fricke rides for both of the tracks the meetings are at, and Doyle is the world champion. Pretty straightforward thinking in my book.

35 minutes ago, topsoil said:

So really his team mate let him down by coming last? Pathetic of him to win the race

The point is that Milik used bad tactics. Once he was well in the lead he should have looked round, seen his partner at the back, and slowed down to try and get him through to third - even if it meant sacrificing the lead himself. Not only would it have been better for the Czechs but it would have made for a fascinating race.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, paulboy said:

Oh it’s been said they do it for well below the market rate, but then again you know what they say about paying peanuts

It was definitely posted that P&T plus Quirk " commentate for well below the going rate for UK premier League matches". . That may be right or wrong but it was posted. It also that they did so because they wanted to boost UK speedway. It was never suggested that they did the GP's or the SON for peanuts - Loadsa money for those I suspect.

Was at the NSS last night and having to drive on A roads all the way to Stoke as the nearest M60 junction (southbound at least) to the NSS was shut didn't have time to post last night or watch the TV version of events, also only read the latest page of comments.

The best races of the night both all involved Australia, the heats against Sweden, Finland & France were the best action.

Was surprised Cook only got one heat, didn't understand why he didn't get a ride (probably with Lambert) against the lesser teams.  Injured?

Lindgren was super fast all night, looks like he might challenge for the world title this year, when I thought his time had passed.  Unlike Doyle who doesn't seem to be riding with the confidence he had the two previous years.

Milik showed he can mix it with the best.