British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ZAGAR in Teterow for example, Tim?

Doesn`t immediately spring to mind- 1st bend ? I was thinking more about deliberately looking out for and  bulking an opposition rider.

Just now, racers and royals said:

Doesn`t immediately spring to mind- 1st bend ? I was thinking more about deliberately looking out for and  bulking an opposition rider.

WHICH is what I (and Greg Hancock) thought Zagar was looking to do against the Yanks.

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU made your mind up from day one. Fair enough, that is your prerogative. But what some people on here forget or do not realise is that others, and especially in countries like Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Germany, etc, have a totally different view. And it is a 'world' championship event not a solely British one and the views of others should and will be taken into account.

I made my mind up as the details were presented to me. 

As each snippet of information was made available the flaws were instantly obvious.

if the ideas had been good i would not have been able to 'make my mind up' in that way.

But time And again the FIM/BSi have made it for me.

And IS this a world championship? As far as I have seen only a couple of Speedway Star reporters this week have inferred that. No one else seems to have the courage of that conviction.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

I made my mind up as the details were presented to me. 

As each snippet of information was made available the flaws were instantly obvious.

if the ideas had been good i would not have been able to 'make my mind up' in that way.I

But time again the FIM/BSi have made it for me.

And IS this a world chmpionship? As far as I have seen only a couple of Speedway Star reporters this week have inferred that. No one else seems to have the courage of that conviction.

HAVE already stated that the FIM got the name wrong and think that is recognised within the ranks of BSI.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAVE already stated that the FIM got the name wrong and think that is recognised within the ranks of BSI.

I got that first time.

But is this an official 'World Championship' ?

5 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I got that first time.

But is this an official 'World Championship' ?

YES of course

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YES of course

Thanks for that.

I do love the 'of course' bit ... when (apart from this thread title)it has seemed to have been avoided by everyone in print and commentary in any terminology used.

Edit .. I do see the FIM regs state it Is.

Edited by Grand Central

In the event of a rider being injured on day 1 of the final, can they be replaced by another available (over 21) rider on day 2 or is it only the U21 reserve rider available as their replacement ? 

Rico :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

In the event of a rider being injured on day 1 of the final, can they be replaced by another available (over 21) rider on day 2 or is it only the U21 reserve rider available as their replacement ? 

Rico :rolleyes:

Regulation 3.4 states that if a medical certificate is available for injury or illness and the Jury approves them a replacement is allowed. There is no distinction made for the rounds or the two days of the final.

• Thanks 1

Tbh I think we have all got a bit obsessed with 'team riding'.

We never usually go on about this so much with league racing as we have been doing here.

I would want a British win above everything else. A 4-2 in every race, right though to the final,  with Tai winning by a mile and Lambert scrabbling a third place ... That would would do fine. 

If a bit of team work brought that about, fair enough, but it is the result that matters  not marvelling at 'synchronised speedway'.

Edited by Grand Central

23 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

why is Jason Doyle not leading the world championship ? Or to.be honest not at the top of his game ? His equipment is the best and his training is at the top so what’s changed ? It’s his mindset, he is NO1 and with it comes a change in mindset, not diet or fitness and that’s why it is so hard to to do back to back titles, notice woffinden has the well known fitness coach  Pete Adams back in his corner at GPs, speedway is a head game, personally I just think we will get the same results we would of anyway , in Wroclaw we should be able to get on rostrum as it’s woffinden track and lambert can cut it in poland, I don’t think Cook can but I just think he is too nervous and too wound up to be able to make an impact and you don’t change that with fitness , one place I do think they will make an impact is raising the profile on team GB cause the world is full of that type of people who believe all the add ons is the way everything should be 

I don't think anybody is saying that fitness is the magic bullet, but surely you can't deny that it is a factor and once you add all of the factors together that's what makes a world championship contender. Without wishing to single anybody out there was a rather good rider riding for a Manchester club a few years back who had all the natural ability in the world, made it to the GP series and was mediocre at best (at that level). I also remember seeing Nicki Pedersen in the Coventry pits a few years back, I think when he was riding for Eastbourne, he was unrecognisable from the person from the year before and I thought at that moment he's going to be World Champ this year... He won it. Of course at that time he was one of very few riders that were taking their fitness that seriously, most of them do these days and if you don't take that approach you're very unlikely to achieve a championship.

22 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Doyle is completely the wrong example to use as it was only when he did get serious that he suddenly elevated himself into the top echelon. 

Surely Doyle is completely the right example to use, he was nothing more than a second string until he got serious about things

22 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

woffinden’s gating goes from brilliant to shocking in one meeting and he is clever at cutting back on first corner 

he's not off the same gate throughout the meeting though is he? there are so many variables at play, but if you put Woffinden vs Fatty bum bum burger boy (whoever he is?) off the same gate in the same conditions, 9 times out of 10 Woffy is going to beat him... it's all about giving yourself the best chance. If somebody is riding a PJR lay down GM why would you challenge them on a out of the box upright Weslake?

So the winning trio will be hailed as World Pairs Champions 2018 or Speedway of Nations 2018 Champions? If the former, does the "reserve" get a medal saying World Pairs Team Reserve 2018?

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Surely Doyle is completely the right example to use, he was nothing more than a second string until he got serious about things

Of course he is, to prove the point that fitness is an important component.

However, The Dean Machine was citing Doyle as an example to prove his argument that it doesn't work and that was who I was replying too :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

So the winning trio will be hailed as World Pairs Champions 2018 or Speedway of Nations 2018 Champions? If the former, does the "reserve" get a medal saying World Pairs Team Reserve 2018?

Dunno, but I think in football a player has to have played a minimum number of games doesn't he? Still, as Pearson always tesll us, every point is vital, so maybe if the reserve scores just one point in any round he's eligible for a medal.

14 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Tbh I think we have all got a bit obsessed with 'team riding'.

We never usually go on about this so much with league racing as we have been doing here.

I would want a British win above everything else. A 4-2 in every race, right though to the final,  with Tai winning by a mile and Lambert scrabbling a third place ... That would would do fine. 

If a bit of team work brought that about, fair enough, but it is the result that matters  not marvelling at 'synchronised speedway'.

Team riding makes points.... the Poles may be getting 5-1 through the card, so we need Tai to try his best to team ride his partner through from third to second where possible.  So team riding is more than synchronised speedway, it could and should = points. 

• Like 1