British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

52 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What a performance by Woffinden! That must go down as possibly the greatest performance of all time by a British rider. Stunning.

Of course, Sod's law says that this is the meeting that goes ovrr 2 days and all comes down to a final, sonthere's a long way to go yet.

Lambert was brilliant too, and his gating was top draw, making things a lot easier.

I really enjoyed the meeting, but it's no World Cup. What a shame they can't at least call it a World Championship. The size of the crowd, even in Poland, must tell them something.

It is a world championship, whatever they want to call it. If the Poles don't want to turn out, that's up to them. But it was great to see Britain dominate a meeting like this, for the first time in ages. And also funny to see the reaction from the Poles to track conditions. Not getting things all their own way.

56 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What a performance by Woffinden! That must go down as possibly the greatest performance of all time by a British rider. Stunning.

Quite possibly.

If they can pull it off tonight AND with Tai looking like this could easily be another World Championship winning year ...
surely the idea that he be called the greatest British rider ever is actually just around the corner ? 

• Like 4

PETER Collins remaining unbeaten (admittedly four rides each time) in. three successive World Team Cup Finals remains a fantastic achievement.

• Like 3

FROM what we saw last night having two riders from the same country in a race (one can hardly steam ride on his own) makes for compulsive viewing when watching the likes of Woffinden, although fair play to Laguta and Smolinski who ultimately thwarted his efforts to shepherd Lambert home on two occasions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PETER Collins remaining unbeaten (admittedly four rides each time) in. three successive World Team Cup Finals remains a fantastic achievement.

And no one would say otherwise.

But WHEN Tai is THREE times world individual champion.

That would trump it. I reckon.

Brilliant by GB, why on earth Lambert wasnt named in the main team from the off is odd considering the form he has been in this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

The contract for the SWC at Gorzów seems to be well known and quite a few people here in Wrocław were talking about it yesterday. 

Gorzow were awarded the 2019 SWC years ago, when they extended their SGP contract, so that isn't anything new.

http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4495

• Like 1

Love him or loathe him but Tai was emperious last night - he was untouchable and team rode brilliantly.  So glad he is riding for Team GB again.  Felt sorry again for Cook - his only ride was off gate 4 and I would be surprised if he got a ride today because Tai and Robert look a good pairing.

I certainly didn't expect Team GB to be leading at the half way stage - more of the same tonight please.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FROM what we saw last night having two riders from the same country in a race (one can hardly steam ride on his own) makes for compulsive viewing when watching the likes of Woffinden, although fair play to Laguta and Smolinski who ultimately thwarted his efforts to shepherd Lambert home on two occasions.

And herein could lie the problem. Woffy and Rob remain top of the leaderboard after tonight, indeed even increase their lead. We then have a one-off final against Russia and, guess what, Woffy keeps his maximum but Laguta and Sayfutdinov manage to get past Rob. Russia win!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Its a good idea that the two events alternate. But to have every bloody final in Poland is just ridiculous.

Agreed, it should be at Poole.

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I can "steam ride" on my own !! i had a great time on the north Yorkshire moors  steam railway the other week. :D

• Haha 1

Clearly team riding in the true sense of the expression is a lost art. Astonishing that so many of the world's top riders are unable to practise it or as we saw last evening to defeat it. Looking over your shoulder as you approach the line on lap 4 does NOT mean you are team riding. Yet - GB apart - that was what we got from most of the 'teams'. Like several other contributors have already said, it had me on my feet yelling at the TV. A wonderful display of sublime skill by Tai and Robert!

Edited by ancient mariner

8 minutes ago, norbold said:

And herein could lie the problem. Woffy and Rob remain top of the leaderboard after tonight, indeed even increase their lead. We then have a one-off final against Russia and, guess what, Woffy keeps his maximum but Laguta and Sayfutdinov manage to get past Rob. Russia win!

IT'S a worry I admit. Have spoken to BSI and the FIM about this possibility on many occasions ... at the time no really thinking GB might be the victims!

• Like 1

Fantastic Tai