British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Fantastic performance by Great Britain - proud of them, but so disappointed at the same time.

So close but so far.  I think Woffy did the right thing in the final.  Lambert was racing the inside line, and any attempt to slow Emil would have simply shut off any chance for Lambert to make the pass.

He's done enough laps of Wroclaw to know when it's got so slick that team riding simply won't work.  At it was, he did more to team-ride than any other rider.

There were heroes.  Woffy with 38 points out of 39, and Lambert racing his hear out.  What a race to beat Magic!

Much more optimistic about the future than I've been for ages.

• Like 2

Well overall two superb meetings, Woffinden was brilliant and Lambert came of age, I was hoping we would get Poland in the final as I thought Lambert had the beating of Dudek, having said that when Tai went chasing for the win in the final my first thought was why, surely it would have been better to hold up Saufutinov to give Robert a better chance of gaining that third spot? Emil didn't look overly quick in the final and Rob wasn't that far away. Im chuffed with silver but a bit gutted for Tai as his riding over the two days certainly deserved a gold medal. At the start I said if GB don't win it I hope Russia do and the two best teams contested the final. For the first season of the new GB setup it already looks far more professional and I can only see a bright future for us, as tai said its only the first year of a five year plan, and what a great start, well done lads.

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IF it was race winner takes all in the final we wouldn't be having this discussion and Tai would be a hero. Have never agreed with second and third trumping first.

correct,but it wasn't.

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULDN'T have an U-21 rider, just a third member of the squad. Riders for each race can be determined by team manager.

If the FIM increased the prize fund by 50% i would agree- currently it`s hardly enough to pay 2 senior riders a decent wage for a weeks work- let alone 3

• Like 1

Beat Russia twice in the heats, got more points over 42 heats, drew 3-3 in the final.  Nowt fair in losing that.  Woffy should get an OBE.  He was brilliant. 

• Like 1

If Woffinden had dropped back, what was stopping Laguta doing the same? 

In fact Laguta may have actually let Woffinden past to ensure he and Emil kept Lambert behind...?

I would have been amazed if a rider of Emils level had let himself get mugged by Woffinden trying to clamp him down on the line or force him wide. .

In fact,  you could argue Lambert rode the wrong tactics as his only angle of attack was to try and 'burrow under' Emil...

Emil was never going to move off the line or 'dissappear into thin air' therefore what was Lambert thinking?

And why didn't Rosco bring Cook in for the last race?

Obviously, I am being deliberately churlish to hopefully show you can disect every incident ever and find a 'better way'..

Ifs, buts, and maybes, wudder, cudder, shudder etc etc etc, hindsight is a wonderful thing..

Bottom line is it was a superb performance from the GB team, Cook included who kept up the support for Woffinden and Lambert. Collectively they did us proud...

Woffinden showed what a genuine true World Class talent he is and Lambert showed great composure for one so young..

Add Cook, add Steve Worrall, add Dan Bewley and maybe one or two others and the future just may be quite bright...

1 minute ago, WalterPlinge said:

I didn't call anyone with a different opinion "a bit daft".

I called anyone who can't understand the simple rule that the team with the rider in 4th place lose "a bit daft".

And I stand by that fact that anyone who can't understand a simple rule is, by definition, a bit daft.

Do you understand that the team with the fourth place rider are the losers?

Of course I do, I also agree with Phil's points (which is quite rare for me). I would bet Rosco told Tai to go for it, unless Robert was right there with him.

2 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

We finished first and had victory stolen by a crap format. Sometimes you have to look further than the end of your nose. 

So within just a couple of minutes we've got people being naive, people who are blinded by great racing and people who can't see further than the end of their nose.   And you wonder why you get so much stick off others, you're certainly adept at giving it out on a regular basis.

Take a chill pill or you'll end up flouncing off again.

I for one have been a critic of Woofinden. Not riding in Britain and turning his back on his country saw me see red. He lost my support in GPs and he still has.

But I am man enough to say that he put in a cracking performance for GB and was clearly the best rider on show over the week. Well done to him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

Of course I do, I also agree with Phil's points (which is quite rare for me). I would bet Rosco told Tai to go for it, unless Robert was right there with him.

Why?

What would be the point?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IF it was race winner takes all in the final we wouldn't be having this discussion and Tai would be a hero. Have never agreed with second and third trumping first.

As I said earlier the tie-breaker should be qualifying scores. That way the Russians would have had to actually defeat us in the final to win.

It just gives a slight reward for the team scoring the most points in the qualifiers. 

Anyway, I have an explanation for anyone to use. "Yes we scored the most points and one of our team won thew final, but we believe in the higher ideal of the pair finishing in consecutive positions to win."

Utter round objects. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, foamfence said:

If that were true, Rosco is utterly inept as team manager and doesn't understand the rules of the tournament.

• Like 3

Great day for British speedway well done Tai, Lambert was immense really showed his class he can now kick on in his quest to gate crash  the World scene a proud day.

Loving all the ex world champions and esteemed keyboard riders on here commenting that Tai should have slowed down to block Emil. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foamfence said:

And 'going for it'  would help us how exactly?

• Like 2