British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Not actually seen it mentioned, but fair play to Russia. Although they pipped us at the final post, there was only a point between us and they are worthy winners. 

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

We had at least a silver with a chance of gold.Now going off on your own does very little to help the chance of gold....that was mentioned a number of times before today’s meeting even started.I just wonder why on earth he chose that path rather than helping our chances,even if only slightly.Surely that was the best choice?

Yes.

Today and Yesterday this exact scenario was being discussed at length here.

Millik got it wrong on Tuesday. and Tai got it wrong tonight.

It doesnt make him a villain and it doesn't detract from everything else he did.

He is a Hero. That was established well before the last race.

But surely we can still say. He got that one wrong ?

• Like 5

Congrats to team GB on getting silver. Woffinden was sheer genius this weekend and Robert Lambert put himself on the road to world ranking status for the future.

Really pleased for Russia who now have their first world title in Speedway on shale.

Overall a good tournament but I still rate the World Cup higher.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IF it was race winner takes all in the final we wouldn't be having this discussion and Tai would be a hero. Have never agreed with second and third trumping first.

But it wasn't 

• Like 2

Just finished watching the second part of the final & I must say, the tournament has been brilliant. Always loved the old World pairs & having watched these meetings have reminded me why. Still like the "old" WTC though!

Congratulations to Russia, they timed their run well & Emil came good on the second day. You can argue about the format all you like, but the rules were known at the start & were the same for everyone. You can't really argue that the winner of the final should trump second & third as it supposed to be a team riding event. It's disappointing we lost out in the end, but that's the way it is & the whole unit should hold their heads high. I suspect more & better is to come.

I felt a little for Cook & Lambert can be very proud - he's not a million miles away & clearly has a big future. Hat's off to Rossiter too, tough to deal with Cook, but good on him, no room for sentiment.

Finally, on the subject of Tai Woffinden. Anyone who says "He's an Aussie" are looking like to idiots they are now, seldom have I seen, in thee modern speedway era, someone give so much to the cause of their country as he has this week. 12 wins from 13 races & another 5 from 6 at Belle Vue demonstrate that he is the best rider around at the moment, the way he took the mightily impressive Laguta from the back twice  was the sign of a man on the very top of his game. Team riding as well, rarely seen these days, was a joy to see & it is clear that he wants Team GB to be a success, let's hope it happens.

And to those of you STILL criticising him, just have a word with yourselves. He should have done this, he should have done that. FFS he scored 38 points from 39 over the two days & if you honestly think he could have done better or more than he did, you really are deluded. I know the Tai haters will come back with all the usual comments, but saying a rider should have done this & should have done that is very easy when you are typing on a keyboard, rather than out there on the track, so save your breath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave the Mic said:

Just finished watching the second part of the final & I must say, the tournament has been brilliant. Always loved the old World pairs & having watched these meetings have reminded me why. Still like the "old" WTC though!

Congratulations to Russia, they timed their run well & Emil came good on the second day. You can argue about the format all you like, but the rules were known at the start & were the same for everyone. You can't really argue that the winner of the final should trump second & third as it supposed to be a team riding event. It's disappointing we lost out in the end, but that's the way it is & the whole unit should hold their heads high. I suspect more & better is to come.

I felt a little for Cook & Lambert can be very proud - he's not a million miles away & clearly has a big future. Hat's off to Rossiter too, tough to deal with Cook, but good on him, no room for sentiment.

Finally, on the subject of Tai Woffinden. Anyone who says "He's an Aussie" are looking like to idiots they are now, seldom have I seen, in thee modern speedway era, someone give so much to the cause of their country as he has this week. 12 wins from 13 races & another 5 from 6 at Belle Vue demonstrate that he is the best rider around at the moment, the way he took the mightily impressive Laguta from the back twice  was the sign of a man on the very top of his game. Team riding as well, rarely seen these days, was a joy to see & it is clear that he wants Team GB to be a success, let's hope it happens.

And to those of you STILL criticising him, just have a word with yourselves. He should have done this, he should have done that. FFS he scored 38 points from 39 over the two days & if you honestly think he could have done better or more than he did, you really are deluded. I know the Tai haters will come back with all the usual comments, but saying a rider should have done this & should have done that is very easy when you are typing on a keyboard, rather than out there on the track, so save your breath.

HE may have scored 38 from the 2 matches but if he sacrificed an extra point in the final we may be cheering a gold medal now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil The Ace said:

HE may have scored 38 from the 2 matches but if he sacrificed an extra point in the final we may be cheering a gold medal now

So he did badly then? Words fail me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

So you can explain it, you just dislike it.  A rather different criticism.

Sorry but I don't like it and don t agree with it  to me it makes the racers before a little bit meaningless 

6 minutes ago, Dave the Mic said:

It's not about being Tai haters.

A team in the World Cup can with every single match, but if they get the tactics wrong in the final and lose then all those wins count for nothing.     Perhaps you should have a word with yourself. Most people have praised Tai for his efforts, myself included, all we are saying he got the tactics wrong in the final.  That's not 'hating' that's merely observation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave the Mic said:

HE did badly in that 1 race and it cost us a gold medal. 

Yes he was class. I'm here In Poland and watched it for myself. Everyone around us was shocked at woffys antics. Couldn't understand. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave the Mic said:

No he done brilliant,he won the race,but that was rendered meaningless if you consider the rules,which maybe he should have.But brilliant from Tai

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave the Mic said:

Why ? thou he's  done great for himself this week I have seldom a rider do so little for his country before hand ..one day your understand it's all about himself .

The like race sum him up in a nutshell 

Edited by orion

On another note,I hope Tai now goes on to win the world title this year and Lambert the I21 title and tomorrow we have all 3 riders qualified for the European 250cc final.The future.as o said before looks promising

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Why ? thou he's  done great for himself this week I have seldom a rider do so little for his country before hand ..one day your understand it's all about himself .

The like race sum him up in a nutshell 

Really... yes he messed uo the last race but before then he did everything he could in every race... i know your not a fan but a little bif of credit wouldnt go amiss 

• Like 3