British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Some people seem to think it's black or white with Tai (or nay rider). It's perfectly possible to like someone and call them out for getting something wrong.  That's all the vast majority on here have done, it's nothing to do with being Tai haters.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

HE may have scored 38 from the 2 matches but if he sacrificed an extra point in the final we may be cheering a gold medal now

Not the sort of think you attempt to do in a final Phil.

• Confused 1

I've criticized  Tai in the past for turning his back on team GB. He has been awesome over the last 2 days. No one can say otherwise.... But... In the final the wrong tactics where used.. Not sure if Tai was under Rosco's orders or he didn't know the rules. For me Tai gets a 9/10. Would of been 10 if he had held back and tried to hold Emil up. Whether it worked or not.

4 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Not the sort of think you attempt to do in a final Phil.

But this is not a final you have to win. The final is about not finishing last.  Totally different scenario 

4 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Some people seem to think it's black or white with Tai (or nay rider). It's perfectly possible to like someone and call them out for getting something wrong.  That's all the vast majority on here have done, it's nothing to do with being Tai haters.

Just because you shout louder and get more likes on the BSF doesn't make your opinion any more credible. The BSF proves to be, time and time again, nothing more than a tiny fraction of the Speedway viewing public.. it has, in reality about 300 people at best that post regularly. The rest is Phil making it look bigger than it is, to get money from adverts. 

I thought Tai might have waited for Robert in the Final, but I'm not criticising him after a performance like that.

GB finished top scorers after two days' racing and should have been champions - as should Russia had they finished top. But this preoccupation with a winner-takes-all final race renders much of what went before meaningless; and particularly in a pairs tournament - and a World Final at that - when a shared heat somehow becomes something different. I find it very unsatisfactory and I promise you, I'd feel the same whether GB were involved or not.

Still, some great racing, brilliant stuff from Tai and Robert, and impressive words from Craig Cook, too.

• Like 1

I'm sure a conversation was had between Tai and Robert before the final about what to do if one of them was last during the race. They did enough team riding throughout the tournament to be given the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately some posters see things either in black and white with no grey at all, and others will dislike Tai whatever he does forevermore. He has been absolutely immense this week and deserves enormous credit, as do the whole team 

The best thing about tonight was seeing our lad's disappointment on the podium.....far better that than being pleased to be there and happy with second. The future is very, very bright.

The arguments about the format and the need for a false climax are for another day.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Fantastic performance by Great Britain - proud of them, but so disappointed at the same time.

So close but so far.  I think Woffy did the right thing in the final.  Lambert was racing the inside line, and any attempt to slow Emil would have simply shut off any chance for Lambert to make the pass.

He's done enough laps of Wroclaw to know when it's got so slick that team riding simply won't work.  At it was, he did more to team-ride than any other rider.

There were heroes.  Woffy with 38 points out of 39, and Lambert racing his hear out.  What a race to beat Magic!

Much more optimistic about the future than I've been for ages.

Will you stand by that opinion if it turns out that Rosco instructed Tai to go all out for the win, Rob?

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

OMG. Thank you Tai, you haven't just restored my faith in British Speedway, you've restored my faith in you.... Stunning, just stunning! 

Well said Jacques. Makes you proud to be a Brit with a performance like that.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Why?

It's pretty clear he has little influence now.

Tai has brought about the changes, things are being done how he suggested... and look at the difference.

Rosco admitted it on Tuesday he has nothing to do anymore! Without Tai and the new regime nothing would have changed.

2 hours ago, Orbiter said:

The facts remain no Tai no Team GB 

There will always be a Team GB, just a useless one without a Tai in.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Whatever happens now we can be proud of GB. Not often we have had the opportunity to say that.

Well said Steve.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

One more year for Lambert nd 2 for Bewley and we can go all the way.

Absolutely Steve, the future is very bright. Particularly with the likes of Kemp making big strides in his first season and also the Thompson Twins next season. Huge potential and cutting out the dead wood next season onwards. No offence to Cook.

2 hours ago, 40-38 said:

Tai had four laps to try and help Robert pass Emil. It would have been better to lose 5-1 trying to do that than lose 4-2 while he clears off.

I thought that was the point of pairs riding?

There was no better team rider over the 2 days and you want to criticise one race? Barmy.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT believe people are criticising Tai after that performance

Me neither. Any chance for the Woffy bashers to have a go. All praise one minute then the full blame the next. Total nonsense. Rider of the tournament. No question.

Edited by stevebrum
Added quotes
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure a conversation was had between Tai and Robert before the final about what to do if one of them was last during the race. They did enough team riding throughout the tournament to be given the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately some posters see things either in black and white with no grey at all, and others will dislike Tai whatever he does forevermore. He has been absolutely immense this week and deserves enormous credit, as do the whole team 

The best thing about tonight was seeing our lad's disappointment on the podium.....far better that than being pleased to be there and happy with second. The future is very, very bright.

The arguments about the format and the need for a false climax are for another day.

Exactly.

Good to have you back to your rightful name too .......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is obvious that he (Woffinden) doesn't like Rossiter and returned to the fold despite his continued prescence as team manager. In the end, Woffinden chose to do his own thing and you could say that after what he had done up until then, he was justified in taking that approach. He must have known that Lambert would not get past Emil, and consoled himself with some well deserved personal limelight, and also knowing that Rossiter would not be a World Championship winning manager.

• Like 1

Interesting to read all the comments but for those who think Tai Wiffindrn was making it all about him, I think you’re doing him a huge disservice.

He decided not race for the team as it was being run poorly, with no direction and seemingly no future. He made his feelings clear in what was needed to make the team successful and when it wasn’t forthcoming he stood by his beliefs and stepped down.

To his credit, however, he stayed with it and worked to get put in place what he felt was required and eventually this was achieved so he returned to the fold. Look at the difference, it’s plain to see. Investment in the future, training, conditioning, diet, togetherness and other things too. The first step was that silver medal tonight.

Never mind what has been done behind the scenes, he has also contributed massively on track. Team GB wouldn’t have got through the race off without Woffenden, much less topped the scores and managed a silver medal. What he has done for the national team is immense this week, an inspiration. And he was as gutted as anyone with silver and not gold. 

His attempts at team riding with Robert were laudable and heartening to see - the only real example of the art all week. In that final, they were up against a very, very strong pair who both scored well all night.

Team riding is very difficult to master, add in a wide fast track with different racing lines and the opponent being a big hearted, ballsy, brave, savvy racer like Emil and I’m not sure “slowing him down” would have been that easy. Easy to criticise on a keyboard, a little different on track.

Give the guy some credit, he performed miracles for his country tonight and all week, but some of you can’t bring yourselves to praise him without a dig. I don’t agree with the fact that he doesn’t race in the UK, nor was I impressed when he stood down from Team GB, however, what he has done on and off track suggests to me he wants the best for the team and if he felt there was a way to have won that final, my guess is he would have tried it.

Some of you know different, of course.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

It is obvious that he (Woffinden) doesn't like Rossiter and returned to the fold despite his continued prescence as team manager. In the end, Woffinden chose to do his own thing and you could say that after what he had done up until then, he was justified in taking that approach. He must have known that Lambert would not get past Emil, and consoled himself with some well deserved personal limelight, and also knowing that Rossiter would not be a World Championship winning manager.

So Woffy deliberately made sure GB lost the final to ensure Rosco didn't win the tournament? Is that your theory?

8 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Sorry, but that’s bullsh1t