British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

1 hour ago, T.N.T. said:

They all knew it went to the final race and no one can complain about the format just because GB didn't win.

Plenty of people were raising concerns over the format before the competition even started, ie when nobody thought GB had much of a chance.

I was always aware when Woffy is in our team we are in with a shout, but never did I imagine that Cook nor Lambert would get enough points  to compete with the likes of Russia, Poland,  and the rest of the elite in Europe, so you can imagine how chuffed I feel with the result of the SON.

Woffy was immense, as a rider he towered above everybody else on show.   Such was his ability  he  oozed  class in every department.    Over the years I have moaned at Roberts laid-back approach more than most,  but this year we have at last seen the real potential.   He has stepped up to the big time and on the biggest stage of them all he really came of age.   His gating was phenomenal,  He competed with the best and come away with so much credit.  

No we may not have won the SON but we came away with our heads held high, and the whole world will be aware now, we are not just there to make the numbers up. 

WELL DONE TO TEAM GB.....  so proud of their effort...    we were that close......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's the first Speedway I've watched in a long long time, very entertaining, and liked the format, and how it promotes team riding. I must admit, I was surprised that Tai went after the win, as after all, we quite rightly lauded the previous rides where he team rode in an absolutely superb fashion. Having said that, I'm also surprised that Lambert tried the inside pass. However, it's only opinion, and not really a criticism of either rider, had we got the 2nd and 3rd none of this would have been discussed. Of course it's disappointing we didn't win Gold, and nobody looked more distraught than Lambert, but we've gone to Poland, not looked like novices, and on the whole put up a very good showing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T.N.T. said:

BEST TEAM WON in my.opinion and that takes nothing away from the gallant efforts of Team GB who gave it everything but as a team Russia were stronger. 

That was very much the case. IF they do tweak the scoring system in the future,  so be it . But Russia were worthy champions under the existing system - and a stronger pair,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave the Mic said:

Never mind what has been done behind the scenes, he has also contributed massively on track. Team GB wouldn’t have got through the race off without Woffenden, much less topped the scores and managed a silver medal. What he has done for the national team is immense this week, an inspiration. And he was as gutted as anyone with silver and not gold. 

Woffy could not have given more to his country and his sport. I salute him and his efforts at team riding with his "right up there" partner Robert Lambert, the best young rider on show by a long way. Craig Cook proved what a True Brit and a Team Man he is with his comments on the podium,

• Like 4

At least the Poles didnt win. I dont mean that because it was the Poles but only due to the position they were in

A pair a full 10 points behind in the qualifiers still having a chance to win with two 3-3 drawn heats is just plain wrong!

• Like 3

Overall it was a decent competition with some great racing in the final stages . But the format needs to be changed. You can't have a final that encourages riders not to win a " final " , after two days of racing and 40 + heats the team with the most points should win  IMHO , maybe it's all about building excitement and ensuring that the meeting does fizzle out like a damp squib . Well done to Great Britain an excellent performance and one in the eye for the doom and gloom merchants, many there is some light at the end of the tunnel . I'd like to think that the competition won't be an annual thing maybe alternative years with the WTC also it needs to be moved around the nations and not based in Poland all the time ,  personally I'd like to see a return to some proper 7 man test matches on a home and away basis but I don't see it happening any time soon . 

Edited by DSC67
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Whichever team tonight wins the final race will be the official Speedway of Nations champions.

Whichever team ends up tonight with the highest number of points (over the 2 meetings ie 42 races) will be world champions IN MY MIND.

Totally against the final 2 races, just a nonsense, especially if a team finishes 2nd and 3rd in the final race being declared winners. That's complete nonsense.

I stick by what I said in the above post.  In my mind, and sadly that's all its is, Tai and Rob were the Best Pair. They were the ones that consistently tried their best to team ride, and to a great extent it worked. Well done.

All the other teams seemed as if they were individuals and rode as such. Some not even looking behind at any time (except in the run up to the checkured flag) at all, which was silly because there many the time they could have helped their team mate.  True Russia did a little bit of team riding, not a lot.

An amazing 2 day final. So many world class quality riders yet there were only 3 or 4 that really shone.  Lindback we know can beat anyone when hes firing on all cylinders, but sadly not in this competition. Freddie was a bit below what we used to this last 18 months.  Emil is a shadow of his former form, but Artum hit the heights. The rest all failed consistency. Germany rode very well, Smolinski on Friday was a shock, and Hukenberg on Sat did really well and kept the opposition on their toes.

In the end, the gold didn't go to GB. Sad, because they deserved it, but good to see Russia has now won a world speedway gold - first time ever.

Edited by OveFundinFan

Maybe in future SON meetings when there is a race off or a final should there be a 3-3 the team that finished with the most points during the qualifying races should go through, though had Team GB won in the way Russia did I doubt there would be many on here complaining though having read through some of the posts I`m not so sure as its beyond me how anyone can criticize Tai Woffinden with the way he rode in the final. He was the best rider, showed excellent team riding skills and lead the team superbly, Team GB did far better than anyone could have expected and like Tai said this year is the first year in a five year plan.

• Like 2

After this event I am left wondering how Manchester City were able to win the 38 game league season by so many points and not have to face either Manchester United or Tottenham Hotspur in a winner takes all final at Wembley? Oh hang, Football still has some credibility about it when it comes to winning a marathon event.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I stick by what I said in the above post.  In my mind, and sadly that's all its is, Tai and Rob were the Best Pair. They were the ones that consistently tried their best to team ride, and to a great extent it worked. Well done.

All the other teams seemed as if they were individuals and rode as such. Some not even looking behind at any time (except in the run up to the checkured flag) at all, which was silly because there many the time they could have helped their team mate.  True Russia did a little bit of team riding, not a lot.

An amazing 2 day final. So many world class quality riders yet there were only 3 or 4 that really shone.  Lindback we know can beat anyone when hes firing on all cylinders, but sadly not in this competition. Freddie was a bit below what we used to this last 18 months.  Emil is a shadow of his former form, but Artum hit the heights. The rest all failed consistency. Germany rode very well, Smolinski on Friday was a shock, and Hukenberg on Sat did really well and kept the opposition on their toes.

In the end, the gold didn't go to GB. Sad, because they deserved it, but good to see Russia has now won a world speedway gold - first time ever.

'Tai and Rob were the Best Pair. They were the ones that consistently tried their best to team ride'

Pity they didn't bother in the one race it really mattered.

• Like 1

Just now, DSC67 said:

. . .. .after two days of racing and 40 + heats the team with the most points should win .

If you can have a league where the team that tops the league table after 6 months isn't the league champions, then why expect the top points scoring pair not to have do something similar after completing the schedule ?
I'm not defending the format, just pointing out the analogues.  

9 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

As he's a Legend I'm the sport 

Why not spell his name correctly 

Dikc 

Not questioning his status in the sport as a rider just think he d have been better leaving bjerre in more chance of him making a start at this level and holding on for a point at least   Asking a bit too much of the young reserve at this level  sorry about the mistake with his name combination of a few beers and always struggling with spelling lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noodles said:

'Tai and Rob were the Best Pair. They were the ones that consistently tried their best to team ride'

Pity they didn't bother in the one race it really mattered.

Bit difficult to team ride when you are second and fourth then first and fourth, both Woffinden and Lambert rode out of their skin and deserve huge credit.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, marko said:

After this event I am left wondering how Manchester City were able to win the 38 game league season by so many points and not have to face either Manchester United or Tottenham Hotspur in a winner takes all final at Wembley? Oh hang, Football still has some credibility about it when it comes to winning a marathon event.

Football World Cup coming up, where a team can finish top of it's league and lose the final to a team that finished below it.