British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

even for the 2 qualifiers? I'm not so sure

I said the final :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

With regards to the attendances... there is little doubt with regards to the negativity regarding this event prior to the tournament.

However... after the final that has changed a hell of a lot. People now know they would see some fantastic racing.

I have 100% confidence if this event was held at Belle Vue next year, or in 2020 as is more likely, the final would sell out.

Given the crowd capacity of the NSS you MIGHT be right.

With regards to the attendances... there is little doubt with regards to the negativity regarding this event prior to the tournament.

However... after the final that has changed a hell of a lot. People now know they would see some fantastic racing.

I have 100% confidence if this event was held at Belle Vue next year, or in 2020 as is more likely, the final would sell out.

Point is though, had it been the WTC final being held at Wrocław, that would also have produced wonderful racing. To say it was down to the format being g used is simply being naive. Wroclaw is one of the top 2 tracks in the world, the other being Czestochowa.

39 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Agreed it was a good post but I think he's referring to the future when Tai becomes Britain's greatest ever,  given his previous successes and time on his side he probably will achieve the status, here's hoping because it will only benefit British speedway.

Meanwhile I think Peter Collins stands out as the greatest British rider.

I'd strongly suggest Woffinden has already surpassed Collins, at the very least equalled.

If he adds a third world title there is no argument.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

I said the final :)

ah yes, so you did... I wonder who we could persuade to hold the qualifiers?

• Like 1

Just now, stewmac said:

Point is though, had it been the WTC final being held at Wrocław, that would also have produced wonderful racing. To say it was down to the format being g used is simply being naive. Wroclaw is one of the top 2 tracks in the world, the other being Czestochowa.

This was better than the WTC.

The overall event was reminiscent of when the WTC was first introduced and the qualifying rounds were a dud, it only picked up at the race-off. They then tweaked things. That's all this event needs.. tweaking. Fans now know how good it can be.

5 minutes ago, stewmac said:

It was great for us Brits, we had Woffy, we were in front, we were doing all the team riding... it'd be interesting to know, as a world event, what the fans of the Poles, Swedes, Danes etc thought of it... they may have thought of the whole event as most of us thought about the opening qualifier

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

This was better than the WTC.

The overall event was reminiscent of when the WTC was first introduced and the qualifying rounds were a dud, it only picked up at the race-off. They then tweaked things. That's all this event needs.. tweaking. Fans now know how good it can be.

Poles have been watching the racing from Wroclaw all season on TV and in person. The stadium is full or almost full every league match. It's been quite outstanding this year. Why would it have been any different for this? The stadium was hardly half full either day, suggesting that even though they knew the racing would be great, they didn't want the format. I don't see how that will change....

• Like 2

I'd strongly suggest Woffinden has already surpassed Collins, at the very least equalled.

If he adds a third world title there is no argument.

A great debate for another day    but my take on it would be a PEAK Collins would beat a PEAK Woffinden in a best of 20 races.My theory on this is that PC could actually gate on a level par with Tai which over the years was a Collins weakness.But the deciding factor would be  that Collins had the ability to come from the back he is by far the best rider i have ever seen in that department.

It's not a patch on the WTC i'm afraid, and the poor crowds would seem to confirm that. As for the format, what a joke ... Please get rid of these stupid semi finals and race offs, they are only relevant in a GP format.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A great debate for another day    but my take on it would be a PEAK Collins would beat a PEAK Woffinden in a best of 20 races.My theory on this is that PC could actually gate on a level par with Tai which over the years was a Collins weakness.But the deciding factor would be  that Collins had the ability to come from the back he is by far the best rider i have ever seen in that department.

For another day as you say Sid, Woffinden is the man of the moment and his return to the fold has to be welcomed,  as has been said the experience Lambert gained this week will prove invaluable to him, as has also been said it's about the riders he beat rather than the ones he trailed.  It's been a good while since I've felt so animated watching a meeting, was completely absorbing, loved it.

16 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Poles have been watching the racing from Wroclaw all season on TV and in person. The stadium is full or almost full every league match. It's been quite outstanding this year. Why would it have been any different for this? The stadium was hardly half full either day, suggesting that even though they knew the racing would be great, they didn't want the format. I don't see how that will change....

Good god.

Try having a read through this thread. You will see that 95% of people were slating this event, it's going to be awful etc. 

Come the end of the final, 95% of those people have now changed their tune and think it was fantastic (qualifiers aside). 

If and when the next one rolls around, fans won't be having to decide, is this going to be any good etc.. they will KNOW it's a fantastic event.

9 minutes ago, blupanther said:

It's not a patch on the WTC i'm afraid, and the poor crowds would seem to confirm that. As for the format, what a joke ... Please get rid of these stupid semi finals and race offs, they are only relevant in a GP format.  :rolleyes:

No the poor crowds don't confirm anything.

The racing was as good as any WTC and the added bonus of having two riders from a team made it even better.

I don't like the way the winners are decided, BUT it did mean that almost every race was important in the final itself and the racing showed that.

If there is to be a 'grand final' then as has been said earlier, in the event of a 3-3, whomever had the most pts wins. So for last night for example, Russia would have needed a heat advantage to win.

• Like 1

I remember going to Gothenburg in 1977 just days after Collins shattered his leg hitting a grid cover at Hyde road, it was a very wet meeting and Collins shouldn't have been riding but gave it a go having to be lifted on and off his bike, he actually finished second in that world final and would have actually won it but I remember Egon Muller coming off when PC was in front but due to his injury he couldn't replicate it in the rerun, I strongly believe only for that leg injury he would have equalled Ivans three in a row, PC was that dominant at the time, throw in his maximums in the consecutive WTC finals, world pairs titles and the host of other titles allied to his outstanding ability on the bike of which ive not seen since and no Tai doesn't eclipse PC. Titles won don't tell the whole stories of a riders career, and if that had been PC in his prime last night his team riding skills would have seen Rob through or if not it would have been nip and tuck. I think the sands of time have eroded the memory of how good PC was, another example, at Hyde Road his handle bars broke in half, he won the race holding the forks with one hand and the throttle with the other, don't think we would see that today

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, nw42 said:

For another day as you say Sid, Woffinden is the man of the moment and his return to the fold has to be welcomed,  as has been said the experience Lambert gained this week will prove invaluable to him, as has also been said it's about the riders he beat rather than the ones he trailed.  It's been a good while since I've felt so animated watching a meeting, was completely absorbing, loved it.

Lambert really has impressed me this year i was worried last year that his career might just end up petering  out.Over the years i really thought Mel Taylor,Mark Courtney,( etc) could push on but none of them  ever managed it and in Lambert we can see what a real talent he  is.His next step is to keep his focus keep working hard and with the great help of his  Mum /Dad build up his aquipment he will be ready for a assault on the World stage in three years time  i believe.