British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

26 minutes ago, iainb said:

It was great for us Brits, we had Woffy, we were in front, we were doing all the team riding... it'd be interesting to know, as a world event, what the fans of the Poles, Swedes, Danes etc thought of it... they may have thought of the whole event as most of us thought about the opening qualifier

From the attendance I think its clear what the Poles thought of it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Good god.

Try having a read through this thread. You will see that 95% of people were slating this event, it's going to be awful etc. 

Come the end of the final, 95% of those people have now changed their tune and think it was fantastic (qualifiers aside). 

If and when the next one rolls around, fans won't be having to decide, is this going to be any good etc.. they will KNOW it's a fantastic event.

Don't understand quite why you say Good God!

I have followed the discussion from the very start for weeks and months. Perhaps the valid point that I didn't put across is that Poles would have made up the most sizeable portion of the attendance had the stadium been full. They knew the racing was going to be good no matter what the event but they did not feel attracted to the format. 

On here, I'd suggest the majority of posters are from the UK and yes they may have changed their minds but even if every one of the regular posters on here attends next season's final, that would only swell the audience by around 300-400. 

I will say again. I don't see how you are going to change the Poles' attitudes towards the format simply by saying it produced wonderful racing. They ALREADY KNOW that Wroclaw produces wonderful racing!

6 minutes ago, screm said:

From the attendance I think its clear what the Poles thought of it.

Are the Poles like the German's ? ( Germany did it in football) if they don't like something they just don't go vote with there feet  other nations just put up with it.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I'd strongly suggest Woffinden has already surpassed Collins, at the very least equalled.

If he adds a third world title there is no argument.

It’s all about opinions. Woffinden rode really well this week, no taking that away from him. But I rate riders on how they have performed domestically - and who was in opposing starting slots when in championship racing. So, therefore, during my 40-odd years (since 1975) I put the likes of Mauger, Nielsen, Rickardsson, Crump etc in the lead. Comparisons should be, I feel, on 10-15 year periods. I must say though since about 2010 the level of competition in world speedway has dramatically dropped. I am not going to name names of current day men, but Jason Crump racing now… he could win it on a moped. Regarding Tai being the best Brit… on domestic form over here? Give your head a wobble. Two world titles, ok, but, with respect, against a near 50 year-old  who in recent times turned into being the best, I would say, simply because the best had retired (he won his second title two decades after his first, which tells you) and another man who lifted the crown who perhaps would not have stood a chance in other years?  

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

For me the attendances were only poor because of people's long standing opinion of pairs. Plus the abysmal team pairs event run by SEC.

If anything, the SON is new with low expectations so was always going to be a tough sell. Give the competition a few tweaks (scrap warnings for semi & final and top 2 into a 2 heat race off, call it the World Cup) and this pairs tournament will take off.

If there's anything learnt, this meeting over 2 day delivered exceptional, out of this world racing.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAD Belle Vue been the Saturday event I think you would have seen a bigger attendance. A Tuesday night at Manchester doesn't work.

Definitely true, which begs the question as to why the organisers decided to stage the event on a Tuesday evening...

There would have been plenty of fans myself included, who could have attended, but couldn't attend for a whole host of reasons. For instance, it would have been relatively easy for me to get sponsors passes to enter the pits area prior to the meeting, but it is nigh on impossible to finish work at 4.30pm in rural Cumbria and get to central Manchester for a 7pm start let alone any earlier.

More worryingly, I think the appeal of the competition is such that even if the meeting had been staged on a Saturday evening, there would have been very little likelihood of there being a full house.

Most impressed with Michael Jepsen Jensen   ... some quality manoeuvres in his races

Tai was absolutely magnificent on the track with some quality team riding with Robert

Robert has shown his capabilities on the world stage and it augurs well for his and GB's future.

My mother who is 93 and watched speedway up until the late seventies simply said " it's not fair we scored more points and came second !!!"

Edited by KIRKYLANE
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

If there's anything learnt, this meeting over 2 day delivered exceptional, out of this world racing.

That's the track... they should try holding it at Leicester :rofl:

• Like 1

The two-day experiment didn't work either. How many Poles, thinking the chance had slipped, didn't bother for the second day? A one-day meeting doesn't offer the chance to choose. I think a race-off on the Friday would have been better, like the SWC had, which used to give good racing.

Edited by moxey63

4 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Most impressed with Michael Jepsen Jensen   ... some quality manoeuvres in his races

Tai was absolutely magnificent on the track with some quality team riding with Robert

Robert has shown his capabilities on the world stage and it augurs well for his and GB's future.

I dont think that was lost on to many people mate...;)

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's the track... they should try holding it at Leicester :rofl:

But that's never gonna happen is it :rolleyes:

Just now, Daniel Smith said:

But that's never gonna happen is it :rolleyes:

It was held in a field in Germany

2 hours ago, Arson fire said:

Well we are into June and Big AL has just set the benchmark for the post with the biggest load of sh!te in it 2018...will it/can it be beaten i wonder?.

So do you think that a rider who is in the final of a world championship competition, should need assistance to pass someone in front and get into 3rd place? He had done it a few heats previously. And the rider he passed wasn't exactly a slouch, was he?

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Woffinden was effectively giving a message, to Lambert and possibly Speedway GB also. He was saying

"you shouldn't need to be over reliant on me now - I've done more than my fair share of points scoring and nursemaiding, time for you to stand on your own feet and prove your worth."

Well if that assumption was correct, I would say what a stupid time to make the point.

No doubting his talent on a speedway bike,but Woffy only does what suits Woffy,everybody should know that by now.

• Like 3