British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

It's a bit wrong, isn't it, how this tin-pot competition - like the SWC before it - can impact on our top league in Britain and force a complete wipe-out for a week, in the height of summer, the best weather we're having day-after-day. Just seems a bit iffy.  

I'm sure that if Coventry were still running at Brandon under Charles Ochiltree, he would have put on a meeting in order to maintain his full, regular, calendar - no blank weeks for the CO (except the regular Stox Saturdays)

3 hours ago, Arson fire said:

Well we are into June and Big AL has just set the benchmark for the post with the biggest load of sh!te in it 2018...will it/can it be beaten i wonder?.

Presumably you are a former rider? Could you go through exactly how Tai Woffinden should have engineered the race so as to enable Lambert to pass Sayfutdinov, without undue risk to himself being passed by the Russian.

By the way I take no offence at your language.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

It's a bit wrong, isn't it, how this tin-pot competition - like the SWC before it - can impact on our top league in Britain and force a complete wipe-out for a week, in the height of summer, the best weather we're having day-after-day. Just seems a bit iffy.  

tbf it doesn't take a tin-pot competition like SoN/SWC to wipe Speedway out in the UK... wasn't there a thread somewhere commenting on there recently being no Speedway anywhere in the UK on a recent Saturday night

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I'm sure that if Coventry were still running at Brandon under Charles Ochiltree, he would have put on a meeting in order to maintain his full, regular, calendar - no blank weeks for the CO (except the regular Stox Saturdays)

Yes but it probably would have been a tin-pot Cov vs League Select

2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Presumably you are a former rider? Could you go through exactly how Tai Woffinden should have engineered the race so as to enable Lambert to pass Sayfutdinov, without undue risk to himself being passed by the Russian.

He'd been doing it all competition until the final!

So why did Woffinden chase Laguta down for the win when he should've tried to team ride Lambert through from last place?

Were they not aware of the rules for the final?  Did Rosco not make this abundantly clear to them?

I'm sure the Speedway Star will have the answers in the next issue...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, adonis said:

Your'e the laughing stock . what an absolute pillock . only a haflwit like you could claim there's anything xenophobic about calling someone arrogant . what a knobend 

It's based upon your other posts.

It's always a sign one has hit close to the grain when the response is so aggressive. 

I understand though, tough week for you. You were sat there dying for GB and Woffinden to fail. Only after the final did you suddenly pipe up.

Other posters, ones who don't particularly like Woffinden were adult enough and had the integrity to put that to one side and congratulate him and GB on their performance.

You fall into a very very small minority of folk who weren't able to do that.. it speaks volumes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

So why did Woffinden chase Laguta down for the win when he should've tried to team ride Lambert through from last place?

Were they not aware of the rules for the final?  Did Rosco not make this abundantly clear to them?

All good questions.... 

It's not about lambasting Woffy, but it would be interesting to find out what went wrong in that final. 

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

It’s all about opinions. Woffinden rode really well this week, no taking that away from him. But I rate riders on how they have performed domestically - and who was in opposing starting slots when in championship racing. So, therefore, during my 40-odd years (since 1975) I put the likes of Mauger, Nielsen, Rickardsson, Crump etc in the lead. Comparisons should be, I feel, on 10-15 year periods. I must say though since about 2010 the level of competition in world speedway has dramatically dropped. I am not going to name names of current day men, but Jason Crump racing now… he could win it on a moped. Regarding Tai being the best Brit… on domestic form over here? Give your head a wobble. Two world titles, ok, but, with respect, against a near 50 year-old  who in recent times turned into being the best, I would say, simply because the best had retired (he won his second title two decades after his first, which tells you) and another man who lifted the crown who perhaps would not have stood a chance in other years?  

Speedway now is more professional at the highest level that it has ever been. In fact it is more professional at every level.

Back in Collins day he's racing against amateurs turning up with a bike strapped to the back of their car in many of his races :)

Seriously, not attacking Collins, he was brilliant and rightfully in the conversation for best Brit ever.

Your comments regarding Crump are nonsense. He was still racing. He wasn't winning. He wasn't on a moped.

As for Tai, when did I mention domestic form in the UK?

Edited by BWitcher

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

tbf it doesn't take a tin-pot competition like SoN/SWC to wipe Speedway out in the UK... wasn't there a thread somewhere commenting on there recently being no Speedway anywhere in the UK on a recent Saturday night

Yes but it probably would have been a tin-pot Cov vs League Select

Not under the CO - he ran four team events, three team events, amongst others, to ensure the good speedway folk of Warwickshire did not go without their weekly meeting

He ran the sport as an entertainment for his customers, putting them at a level on par with the riders - he did things right

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:

Not under the CO - he ran four team events, three team events, amongst others, to ensure the good speedway folk of Warwickshire did not go without their weekly meeting

He ran the sport as an entertainment for his customers, putting them at a level on par with the riders - he did things right

He was a promoter in the true sense of the word. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Being passed by Emil was irrelevant - it would've meant 2nd place just the same as his heat win

Attempting the team ride even if it had a 1 in 100 chance of coming off was a 1 in 100 greater chance than taking the heat win provided of lifting the title

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

He'd been doing it all competition until the final!

7 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

NOT when the opposition were ahead

Just now, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Being passed by Emil was irrelevant - it would've meant 2nd place just the same as his heat win

Attempting the team ride even if it had a 1 in 100 chance of coming off was a 1 in 100 greater chance than taking the heat win provided of lifting the title

THE simple fact is that Lambert had to beat Sayfutdinov in the final heat of effectively a World Final. In a couple of years maybe but after four third places in six rides it was unlikely and unrealistic unless he got ahead with Tai, which he didn't. No criticism of Lambert.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT when the opposition were ahead

The thing is,it didn’t matter in previous heats,did it?If Tai got a 3-3 by winning the heat,it was the same as letting the leader go and helping Robert finish 3rd.Only harder work

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE simple fact is that Lambert had to beat Sayfutdinov in the final heat of effectively a World Final. In a couple of years maybe but after four third places in six rides it was unlikely and unrealistic unless he got ahead with Tai, which he didn't. No criticism of Lambert.

4 third places and another one would have given us the title.It was worth a try at least seeing as Robert had done it 4 times already!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Are you being stubborn to avoid admitting your statements of last night were wrong, it's ok to reflect and admit you may have got it wrong Philip.

Why can't you get this?  Yes Robert passing Emil was always going to be a tall order, but if Tai was in front of Emil placing his bike in awkward positions for Emil then it gave Robert a tiny additional chance to get through. He wasn't that far off as it was anyway, so throw Tai into the mix and who knows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1