British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

This argument basically boils down to the below:

You have two choices:

Option A: You have 1% chance of winning (being generous)

Option B: You have 20% chance of winning.

We chose Option A.

It is that simple. 

2 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Well OK.

But the one you just posted about a 5-1 wasn't really giving a contrary 'opinion '

instead it just tended to point out how little we had to lose by having a go.

We didn't have 'little to lose'.. we had 'nothing' to lose :)

• Thanks 1

At least we are debating about fighting for Gold rather than fourth or fifth place.

I can see the point many are making, but Tai was in second place early on and Lambert in last place, Tai went for the win maybe hoping Lambert could pass Emil, to me if Tai had slowed he could have been passed by Emil....maybe the SS could ask his thoughts on the last heat.

Awaits barrage of counter arguments.:)

2 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

to me if Tai had slowed he could have been passed by Emil.

Same result, Silver... at least he tried though :)

Edited by iainb

On 6/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, one of clubs said:

There is no doubt the two Brits deserved to win the title, but the fact remains that they did not. I will give Tai credit for a great performance in the SON  and in his two World titles but to say he is on course to become the greatest ever is way off the mark. That accolade belongs to Peter Collins for his individual, team and pairs world championship honours.

He won 1 world title and didn't win either of the other 2 on his own.

9 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

At least we are debating about fighting for Gold rather than fourth or fifth place.

I can see the point many are making, but Tai was in second place early on and Lambert in last place, Tai went for the win maybe hoping Lambert could pass Emil, to me if Tai had slowed he could have been passed by Emil....maybe the SS could ask his thoughts on the last heat.

You are still making the argument here for it being a tactical mistake not to try though, don't you see?

He could (did) go for the win ... we lost the final.
He could have stayed where he was in second ... no matter we would have lost the Final
He might have been passed by Emil in the attempt to assist Robert ... no matter we would have lost the Final.

He might not have been passed by Emil but helped baulk Emil so that Robert could get past on the last bend ... BIG MATTER We would be World Champions.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

You are still making the argument here for it being a tactical mistake not to try though, don't you see?

He coud (did) go for the win ... we lost the final.
He could have stayed where he was in second ... no matter we would have lost the Final
He might have been passed by Emil in the attempt to assist Robert ... no matter we would have lost the Final.

He might not have been passed by Emil but helped baulk Emil so that Robert could get past on the last bend ... BIG MATTER We would be World Champions.

So what you're saying is there was only 1 option to win? :rofl:

Edited by iainb

1 minute ago, iainb said:

So what you're saying is there was only 1 option to win? :rofl:

After that first lap, yes it was pretty clear that Robert, whilst may have passed Emil (tall order), the only real option was for Tao to help him out by trying to slow Emil, i.e. team riding just like Tai had done for the previous 18 races. But reasons only known to Tai (or the manager), Tai chose not to employ the team riding tactic in that final race.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

You're still not grasping it are you. There isn't a counter argument to what you have said because you haven't got an argument in the first place!

Going for the win was irrelevant. It made no difference to the end result whether Lambert did or didn't pass Emil. Let's just suppose Lambert had sneaked past Emil on lap 2.. Tai has cleared off chasing the win.. Then on the last bend Emil goes round the outside and takes back third.  Had Tai not been in the lead he could have blocked that outside run.

The scenario for the final was simple. Come last, you lose. The win was not important.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The real question is who messed up (we could sugar coat it),  Tai for getting tactics wrong (just needs to learn from it), or Rosco for not making the rules crystal clear.  Lets hope the question is asked.

• Like 1

I blame Rosco,he should have put Cook in Final heat,he would have made one of his trademark GP gates led round 1st bend,Tai would have joined him and Team Road to a5/1:approve:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

The real question is who messed up (we could sugar coat it),  Tai for getting tactics wrong (just needs to learn from it), or Rosco for not making the rules crystal clear.  Lets hope the question is asked.

That's the important question.

If it was Tai, he'd done more than enough to warrant a pass. If it was Rossiter not spelling out what was required he should fall on his sword or be pushed.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

I blame Rosco,he should have put Cook in Final heat,he would have made one of his trademark GP gates led round 1st bend,Tai would have joined him and Team Road to a5/1:approve:

You what, are you being deadly serious. If you are i feel very sorry for you..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Oh god,just when things were getting sensible along comes another one!!

The competition was specifically thought out for 'team riding in those circumstances' otherwise the rule for the final would be different

Another deluded person. I say black idiots say white. The only sensible preson here is me... Thankfully. Get real, Tai did the right thing. End of.

Edited by Starman2006

2 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

You what, are you being deadly serious. If you are i feel very sorry for you..

He was clearly being deadly serious. How can you argue against it? 

• Haha 1