British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

TOP BRIT Tai Woffinden says it was ‘good to be back’ riding for his country last week.
The Scunthorpe born double World Champion scored a stunning 38 points out of a possible 39 in the Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations Final.
But it wasn’t quite enough to hand GB the gold as Russia pipped them to the post in the final – despite Woffinden winning the race.
Now he’s looking forward to a bright new future for the national side under the franchise ownership of Rob Painter and Vicky Blackwell through their VRX Motorsport team.
“This is the first stage of a five-year plan for GB and whilst Rob Painter (team supremo) is making all the right noises I’ll be alongside him, he said.
“I want to say I’m proud of young Robert Lambert, he did a great job throughout the tournament and also a special mention to Craig Cook who travelled with us and was a big member for us as part of the team.
“It was good to be back racing for my country on a team basis.”
Woffinden has explained the circumstances behind the final in Poland – he won the decider but with Russian duo Artem Laguta and Emil Sayfutdinov claiming second and third they effectively won the race 3+1-3.
He said: “The plan was to win the final 5-1 or 4-2 and we knew we could do that so that was the goal.
“In a final like that you cannot slow down the race like I did in previous heats. The competition is just too good, maybe 10 years ago you could but at world level now anyone can beat anyone and you have to do the best job you can.
“Unfortunately the event rules state if you’re second and third you’re better then the winner! “There’s not many things in life where you get rewarded for losing!
“I would like to congratulate Emil and Artem for their world title and look forward to doing it all again next year.”
Woffinden has also congratulated newly crowned British Champion Lambert, who romped to the title with a six-ride maximum in Manchester on Monday.
“He’s the future,” said Woffinden. “Congratulations to him, he deserves it. I know what it means to win your first national title and it’s pretty special.”

Fair comment from Tai about the final.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

The plan was to win the final 5-1 or 4-2 and we knew we could do that so that was the goal.

So we will go into the final NOT having the easier winning position of 3-3 as a plan at all. 

I am not calling anyone thick ...... But ?

Edited by Grand Central

5 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

“In a final like that you cannot slow down the race like I did in previous heats. The competition is just too good, maybe 10 years ago you could but at world level now anyone can beat anyone and you have to do the best job you can.

Well good to have an explanation.

But in that final meeting every nation had capable riders, so I am not sure the final was any different to other races.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

Fair comment from Tai about the final.

How is it fair?

It's nonsensical, or did I miss a new set of riders being shipped in for the final that were of a much higher standard than the others?

Actually, in consideration his comments do make perfect sense.. it's the conclusion that is nonsensical.

Basically it's being said the final is of a higher standard, riders going for it to a greater degree so therefore it's much more difficult to beat the opposition.... conclusion, we'll leave Lambert on his own, sure he needed a bit of help when the standard was lower, but now it's higher he'll be fine as he is!

Sorry.. but the argument Tai puts forward once again leads to one conclusion.. the wrong tactics were used.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Does seem strange that he felt going for and holding on to a 5-1 was a strategy,but trying to get a 3-3 and hold it wasn’t on the cards

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Sorry.. but the argument Tai puts forward once again leads to one conclusion.. the wrong tactics were used.

I am still keen to find out who came up with the genius tactics. Tai himself, which as you said yesterday if that is the case he's done enough over three days to be forgiven for the error in tactic judgement. If some member of the Team GB management came up with that, well questions should be asked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

How is it fair?

It's nonsensical, or did I miss a new set of riders being shipped in for the final that were of a much higher standard than the others?

Actually, in consideration his comments do make perfect sense.. it's the conclusion that is nonsensical.

Basically it's being said the final is of a higher standard, riders going for it to a greater degree so therefore it's much more difficult to beat the opposition.... conclusion, we'll leave Lambert on his own, sure he needed a bit of help when the standard was lower, but now it's higher he'll be fine as he is!

Absolutely right.

Now who did this 'thinking' on Saturday night and which numptie thought it wise to put out this ridiculous press release saying something so daft ?

Edited by Grand Central

At least the issue has now been acknowledged and answered. If that's what Tai says I'll have to accept it, I don't agree with it, but he's the one riding the bike

Oh dear Lucifer Sam, quoting Tai saying that you set the ball going again.

Tai told us the plan ie 5-1 or 4-2, in other words Robert to beat at least one of them, probably Emil as (somehow) he was the weakest link. And it nearly happened.....until Emil shot past up the inside on the 1st/2nd bend lap 1. 

Best laid plans can go wrong, and it did.

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

At least the issue has now been acknowledged and answered. If that's what Tai says I'll have to accept it, I don't agree with it, but he's the one riding the bike

Actually the issue has NOT been answered at all.

In fact what has just been revealed is that we now KNOW they got the tactics wrong on Saturday AND now, in addition, we know that they still haven't worked that fact out.

Amazing.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

Although the question needs to be asked who originated the plan. 

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Tai has spoken ! That's the end off the matter now:rolleyes:

Yes. That's how it goes in sport, isn't it ?

We all shut up talking about games/matches/cups of the past once the rider/player has spoken.

I think not.

This is one of those that will still be spoken about when Tai has overtaken Ivan's records.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Must take the prize of most nonsensical post of the year, perhaps since the forum began.

EVERYTHING Philip Rising is quoting makes perfect sense to me, & lets be honest he's been around Speedway a long long time, a person I always look up to & always will!!!

1 minute ago, sommelier said:

EVERYTHING Philip Rising is quoting makes perfect sense to me, & lets be honest he's been around Speedway a long long time, a person I always look up to & always will!!!

Still waiting for an explanation of why it makes perfect sense to NOT try to win a gold medal. 

You advocate it. Phillip Rising advocates it. Seems Team GB advocated it.

Champions League Final.. Liverpool trail Milan 3-0.. co managers Phil Rising and Sommelier.. "Shut up shop lads, let's not concede anymore. Silver is great! We can't take risks and chase the game at this level, not in a final, the standard is far too high"

Superbowl 51.. New England trail Atlanta by 25pts.. head coach Phil Rising...  you get the idea.

Now apply it to Speedway of Nations Pairs Final.. Sayfutidnov gets into 3rd on bend 2.. less then 15% into the race and you're advocating throwing in the white towel.

• Like 3