British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

42 minutes ago, foamfence said:

The hindsight being from you.

??????

4 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Not sure it is perfectly put. I agree with Grachan that we rightly started the race with a winning mentality, but it's ridiculous to stick to that original plan when it was blown away on the first lap.  

There needed to be another plan, and anyone sticking to the belief that all Tai could was win the race is naïve (at best). 

To me it is perfectly put. We know that the plan was to go for a heat advantage. That plan changed when the Russians hit a 5-1 at the end of lap one. Of course it’s naive to suggest there wasn’t a back up plan to hold a 3 all if they were 2nd and 3rd. But we were never close to that position, until the last lap.

with it being the final what better way to finish with a hard race instead of a slow up race. Those who think Emil could have been fooled into being suckered by Tai over a couple of laps is also naive in the extreme.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, norbold said:

??????

The only facts are that Tai got us to the final and Robert lost us it. All this talk about what they should have done is just talk. I don't blame either of them, I hope they both have a great future, you may have the last word as I really can't be bothered any further with the topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

The only facts are that Tai got us to the final and Robert lost us it. All this talk about what they should have done is just talk. I don't blame either of them, I hope they both have a great future, you may have the last word as I really can't be bothered any further with the topic.

Disagree entirely.  In the final it was last place that mattered - it was completely irrelevant who won the race.  Tai and Artem must have known that yet both did nothing to ensure their team mate didn't finish last.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Disagree entirely.  In the final it was last place that mattered - it was completely irrelevant who won the race.  Tai and Artem must have known that yet both did nothing to ensure their team mate didn't finish last.

Well they couldn't ride the bikes for them, if you hang back and try to shepherd your partner home there's no guarantee that you wouldn't both end up at the back. Anyway, thank you for your post and have a very good evening.

I don't have a problem with the plan being "win the race" as before the tapes go up then if you have one rider finishing first your chances if getting an advantage increase dramatically.

However, surely they should have agreed tactics based on various different scenarios? This should have been done in these meetings they looked to be having before Belle Vue, but even if not we had enough time between our final qualifying heat and the final to get that nailed down. "What do we do if we gate on a 5-1?", "What do we do if we gate on a 3-3 with Robert in front?", " What if we gate on a 1-5?".

I find it incredibly hard to believe that if they did have that conversation that the answer to the last one would be, "Get to the front Tai and do what you can Rob", and if it was, it was wrong.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie
  • Like 2

I can't believe you guys are still going on about getting a silver medal(gold is good) as my team Aussie are still coming :(

4 hours ago, foamfence said:

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

Well they couldn't ride the bikes for them, if you hang back and try to shepherd your partner home there's no guarantee that you wouldn't both end up at the back. Anyway, thank you for your post and have a very good evening.

Just as well you couldn't be bothered any more and didn't want the last word. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, foamfence said:

He had no option but to go for the win and hope Lambert got a point or one of the Russians failed to finish, holding back could easily have resulted in a 2-4.

lmao!

Oh heaven forbid it would have been a 2-4.. what a disaster that would have been, we'd have only got silver medal... oh wait.

Staggering the level of intellect displayed on this forum at times!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, foamfence said:

That's hindsight, he had a split second to asses the best option, I believe he took it. 

Course you do, because you clearly haven't got a scoobies.

In actual fact, Tai going for win was utterly and completely the wrong thing to do for more reasons than team riding.

Tai winning the race was irrelevant as we have seen..  We have some trying to claim it's impossible or dangerous to slow and help a team mate, even though Tai had already done it in the event and its been done countless times in the past...  so we'll eliminate that option for the sake of this argument..  As such we have Tai in a safe 2nd place.. and we need Lambert to pass Emil...  So please tell me how it benefited us in the slightest Tai taking risks to go for the win? Just imagine had he come together with Laguta, been excluded, fell off in a brave attempt to pass just as Lambert happened to get by Emil.. or Emil suffered an ef. What a calamity that would have been!

So in summary... Tai going for the win was never ever the 'right' tactic. If you're not going to team ride, you take the safe 2nd place and hope Lambert gets into 3rd.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

SURE they did and initially tried but too few on here are giving due credit to the Russian pair. 

• Like 3

So .... Today's Speedway Star ... This entire debate about the final and tactics is consigned to carrying the GB team press release verbatim as posted here a few days ago.

is that a fair reflection of the exchange of views that has taken place on the various terraces and in the pits this last week as people have got together and  chatted about the weekend ? Without even mentioning the chat here.

Yet again a page is given over to Rob Painter to give a reprise of the 'the future is bright missive', platitudes and all, but with the addition of a silver medal. Surely that is getting repetitive ?

Edited by Grand Central

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SURE they did and initially tried but too few on here are giving due credit to the Russian pair. 

Your posts get worse and worse on this subject.

But lets's engage in your fantasy world for a moment and assume that Tai did initially try and quickly gave up.

Explain to me how it was in any way a good 'tactic' for Tai to chase the win. The win was irrelevant. By chasing it, Tai risked a greater chance of being excluded or falling which would have rendered any miraculous overtake of Sayfutdinov by Lambert irrelevant. 

Can you imagine the furore if Lambert had of got by Emil in the latter stages only for Tai to fall or be excluded in his chase of Laguta?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Course you do, because you clearly haven't got a scoobies.

In actual fact, Tai going for win was utterly and completely the wrong thing to do for more reasons than team riding.

Tai winning the race was irrelevant as we have seen..  We have some trying to claim it's impossible or dangerous to slow and help a team mate, even though Tai had already done it in the event and its been done countless times in the past...  so we'll eliminate that option for the sake of this argument..  As such we have Tai in a safe 2nd place.. and we need Lambert to pass Emil...  So please tell me how it benefited us in the slightest Tai taking risks to go for the win? Just imagine had he come together with Laguta, been excluded, fell off in a brave attempt to pass just as Lambert happened to get by Emil.. or Emil suffered an ef. What a calamity that would have been!

So in summary... Tai going for the win was never ever the 'right' tactic. If you're not going to team ride, you take the safe 2nd place and hope Lambert gets into 3rd.

"hope"? That's exactly what he did! Except he went for the win. As for your remark about "scoobies" You know nothing of my experience in Speedway.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

lmao!

Oh heaven forbid it would have been a 2-4.. what a disaster that would have been, we'd have only got silver medal... oh wait.

Staggering the level of intellect displayed on this forum at times!

Or lack of it, in your case.