British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

33 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

If only the riders had a group of people around them to help. 

Or perhaps a bigger group? Barely into double figures? I bet Poland had 30 there. I should think that riders need a minimum of four "backroom staff" each. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I always thought the winner of a race was the rider who finished first.

Your post didn't say about the winner of the race, it mentioned the team that finish first.

The team that finished first was Russia as there was still a GB rider who hadn't finished when Russia had all crossed the line.

The winner of the race was Tai. The team that finished first was Russia. Not the same thing.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Or perhaps a bigger group? Barely into double figures? I bet Poland had 30 there. I should think that riders need a minimum of four "backroom staff" each. 

Perhaps they do.

But I'm just really interested in the ONE with a brain capable of dealing with the simple 'tactics' of which we speak here.
Clearly that ONE single person was absent.

Tbh if they had taken 500 backroom staff but left THAT guy at home.
No matter how good their diet or fitness.
They could ONLY come second.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Perhaps they do.

But I'm just really interested in the ONE with a brain capable of dealing with the simple 'tactics' of which we speak here.
Clearly that ONE single person was absent.

Tbh if they had taken 500 backroom staff but left THAT guy at home.
No matter how good their diet or fitness.
They could ONLY come second.

As you know my cheek was full of tongue. But I agree completely. The problem is how to identify THAT one. I thought I knew who he was ( but it could have been a she ) but I was wrong, as it seems we all were. We may have to wait until 2048 when all those involved, are long retired and willing to spill all!

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2018 at 7:45 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

SURE they did and initially tried but too few on here are giving due credit to the Russian pair. 

Well done Russia, but who cares? If you want to read people giving credit to Russia you best sign up to some Russian forums... As a Brit I'm more interested in seeing Britain win and not come 2nd and to not even try and win the final was puzzling at best and unforgivable at worst... especially with all the work now going into the Speedway GB team, why bother with all that if you're not even going to try and do the basics

On 6/14/2018 at 5:29 PM, oldtimer said:

Rob Painter says, "he wants to see speedway on the back pages of national newspapers and is working very hard to do that" 

If Speedway was featured in the papers can you imagine the scrutiny the tactics (or lack of) would have come under? It wouldn't have made for good reading... we may even have seen Rosco with a turnip on his head!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, Grachan said:

Did they? Looked to me like Laguta was going flat out for the win until Tai passed him.

Of course he was, they were on a 4-2 at the point.   When he was passed, he implanted plan B, make sure he and Emil don't finish last. 

I just find it sad that the Speedway Press/Broadcasters are not representing all the fans and asking the tough questions, I find it even sadder they themselves are not actually understand why the question is important to ask.  

Surely if the public are asking questions, the media's job is to ask those questions, regardless if they believe in that view or not.  As it stands, it doesn't appear BT Sport or the SS have asked the question of Tai or Rosco (unless I have missed, then I apologise). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

I just find it sad that the Speedway Press/Broadcasters are not representing all the fans and asking the tough questions, I find it even sadder they themselves are not actually understand why the question is important to ask.  

Surely if the public are asking questions, the media's job is to ask those questions, regardless if they believe in that view or not.  As it stands, it doesn't appear BT Sport or the SS have asked the question of Tai or Rosco (unless I have missed, then I apologise). 

It's too much of an incestuous world where those earning well from the sport (  and I don't mean riders ) either don't want to or won't ask any tough questions. A case of don't bite the hand that feeds you perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

Of course he was, they were on a 4-2 at the point.   When he was passed, he implanted plan B, make sure he and Emil don't finish last. 

How did he know if they were on a 4-2? He never looked behind once from the start of the race until Tai went past him. Watch the race again.

Then, when Tai passed him, he looked round and slowed down a bit, but never did anything to make sure Emil never finished last. Just the token "look over the shoulder", which is not team riding.

Neither side did any team riding in the final.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

How did he know if they were on a 4-2? He never looked behind once from the start of the race until Tai went past him. Watch the race again.

Then, when Tai passed him, he looked round and slowed down a bit, but never did anything to make sure Emil never finished last. Just the token "look over the shoulder", which is not team riding.

Neither side did any team riding in the final.

Correct on all counts, it's just unfortunate we were better at not team riding than the Russians.

2 hours ago, TheReturn said:

This goes back to the old problem in speedway of if you scratch the surface it always seems to come back to the same people, it’s like a spiders web and they are not going to upset each other are they 

Seems like the only person Phil has criticized in the sport is Charlie Webster and the NZ promoter.And it was funny that he only criticized him once he pulled out of promoting a GP!!!!Before that,he was a great bloke lol

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Seems like the only person Phil has criticized in the sport is Charlie Webster and the NZ promoter.And it was funny that he only criticized him once he pulled out of promoting a GP!!!!Before that,he was a great bloke lol

I APPRECIATE that you have read every word I have written in over 55 years. 

34 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This goes back to the old problem in speedway of if you scratch the surface it always seems to come back to the same people, it’s like a spiders web and they are not going to upset each other are they 

THE question was asked of Tai Woffinden... page 28 in SS this week. Not our fault if you don't like the answer.

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I APPRECIATE that you have read every word I have written in over 55 years. 

I was dismissing 45 of those years as being irrelevant to this discussion lol