British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BECAUSE I don't believe he got his tactics wrong. If Lambert had actually got into third then I have no doubt Tai would have held back. But Robert didn't and was never likely to even if by some magic Tai could have kept a rider of Emil's ability at bay while also shepherding Lambert alongside him. 

Come on this is a stupid statement even by your standards... because it would of been hard he shouldnt of tried? What would it of mattered if Emil went past them both 

• Like 8

The only thing that needs to be said over these last two day and for Great Britain

download.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MrwulfAndrew said:

This Tai criticism is bloody ridiculous. 38 points out of 39 with team riding all week.

It wouldnt be easy slowing Emil down to let Lambert through, it was a gamble either way.

He's the best British rider of the past 10 or so years bar none and all credit to him. I think he and Lambert have done us proud.

I just think, gamble and unlikely as it may have been it was worth a shot to at least try and help Robert through as we were losing regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S all about opinions ... that's mine. I don't believe Lambert was going to beat Sayfutdinov with or without Tai's help. And that is no criticism of Robert.

But effectively Tai did nothing to manipulate that situation.  It might not have worked, but he didn't try.  

The only defence for Tai is if Rosco had not fully explain the final scoring system.  But despite him CLEARLY getting the tactics wrong in that final race, Tai deserves much, much credit for his work this week.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S all about opinions ... that's mine. I don't believe Lambert was going to beat Sayfutdinov with or without Tai's help. And that is no criticism of Robert.

So why did we go out for the final then ? quite clearly there was no point 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MrwulfAndrew said:

This Tai criticism is bloody ridiculous. 38 points out of 39 with team riding all week.

It wouldnt be easy slowing Emil down to let Lambert through, it was a gamble either way.

Not easy agreed .... But the only way to win it!!!!

47 minutes ago, screm said:

The basic format has been good, but there should be just a couple of tweeks. Teams should only be in the competition if they turn up with 3 riders and the winners should be the team with most points, no semi final and final please. 

Yes, the tie-breaker in a race-off 3-3 should be points scored in the qualifying races. That's too obvious for speedway and its triumphal "Second and third takes all" mentality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Tai did nothing wrong Gb store the most points over two days but end up finishing second try explaining that to someone in the pub watching for the 1st time  it's the bloody idiot s who make the stupid rules up  but that's speedway run by baboons 

It's very easy to explain to someone in the pub.  Qualify for the final and then win the final to win the meeting.  Same as dozens of sports around the world. Not liking the format isn't the same as it being incomprehensible. 

Do they find the superbowl winner being champions instead of the team that won the most games through the season equally baffling?

1 minute ago, WalterPlinge said:

Of course he got his tactics wong.

Do you think by shooting off in front for the win he could somehow have won the title for GB?    If you think that, you've got it badly wrong too.

The only way we could win the title was if he and Lambert could combine to block Emil and get Lambert into 3rd.   The winner of the race is irrelevant, the only thing that counts is that the team with the 4th placed rider are the losers.   Surely you can see that?  

No one is criticising Woffinden.   He's been the rider of the tournament.   His point scoring has been phenomenal all week.  HIs team riding has been beyond compare all week.   Without him we'd have got nowhere near a silver medal.  We're very happy with a silver medal.  It's just a fact that he got the tactics wrong in the final race.

Slowing down to help Lambert might not have worked, and we may have still ended up with a silver medal.... but it might have worked, and was definitely the thing to try.    Anyone who says we shouldn't have tried the only option we had left, is a bit daft.

The tactics were probably discussed with the manager before the race. Rather sad that you call anyone with a different opinion to you "a bit daft."

1 minute ago, orion said:

So why did we go out for the final then ? quite clearly there was no point 

SORRY, I will re-phrase that ... he was never going to beat Emil after he had been relegated to the back. If Lambert had been second or third off the first turn Tai's tactics might well have been different. Anyway its all in the eye of the beholder. 

• Confused 2

Surely this tournament deserves a 2nd year- i wouldn`t change a lot

1 keep U21 reserves as this year but for starting offences the reserve can come in

2 Final 1 with 7 teams as this year however top 5 teams only to final 2(seeded home staging country in final 1)

3 Final 2 with 5 teams meeting every other team twice(20 races) then top 2 teams meet in a best of 3 final races- 2nd and 3rd beating 1st and 4th only if it goes to race 3- the teams in finals day 2 carry points forward from day 1

Edited by racers and royals

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Surely this tournament deserves a 2nd year- i wouldn`t change a lot

1 keep U21 reserves as this year but for starting offences the reserve can come in

2 Final 1 with 7 teams as this year however top 5 teams only to final 2(seeded home staging country)

3 Final 2 with 5 teams meeting every other team twice(20 races) then top 2 teams meet in a best of 3 final races- 2nd and 3rd beating 1st and 4th only if it goes to race 3- the teams in finals day 2 carry points forward from day 1

Yes I suggested similar the other day. But I agree with this, it deserves another go with a bit of tweaking.

IF it was race winner takes all in the final we wouldn't be having this discussion and Tai would be a hero. Have never agreed with second and third trumping first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hugely proud of the GB performance even though hugely disappointed with the final

Definitely a tactical blunder - better to have gone down to a 5-1 trying to manipulate Emil into last place than not try anything

Perhaps a rule change should be that the semi final qualifiers should have to beat the top qualifiers in order to win. There should be some advantage  for finishing top of the qualifier scores

• Like 2