British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

2 minutes ago, g13webb said:

There are some people on here who will never be pleased.    All this talk of Woffy dropping back to help Lambert  is so bias  and contradicts the tremendous achievement they made. .   Only Woffy can answer for the way he rode, and the choices he choose.  but to me he was immense, and rode his heart out for the cause.     The rules stank, the point scoring was rubbish, Blame them if you like ,     but for a team who outscored everyone else, a team that did the most team riding of the lot, the team that won the final have nothing to be  questioned about.   Both Woffy and Lambert were brilliant,   to me they were the right full winners..     

It was the organiser who got it wrong.     Team riding was never rewarded during the meeting, yet  in the final coming second  was deemed the winner.....

PS,,,  Hope you  haven't forgotten the 3 man semi final fiasco .   

I completely agree. Tai and Robert did a magnificent job, and both should be be getting our congratulations. Regardless of my heartache for GB the rules are pathetic. I was left trying to explain to newcomers to the sport who thoroughly enjoyed the tremendous racing how a team who gets the most points, then in a so called final where our rider comes from the back to WIN the race doesn't win overall because second and third is deemed better...Nonsense.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, g13webb said:

There are some people on here who will never be pleased.    All this talk of Woffy dropping back to help Lambert  is so bias  and contradicts the tremendous achievement they made. .   Only Woffy can answer for the way he rode, and the choices he choose.  but to me he was immense, and rode his heart out for the cause.     The rules stank, the point scoring was rubbish, Blame them if you like ,     but for a team who outscored everyone else, a team that did the most team riding of the lot, the team that won the final have nothing to be  questioned about.   Both Woffy and Lambert were brilliant,   to me they were the right full winners..     

It was the organiser who got it wrong.     Team riding was never rewarded during the meeting, yet  in the final coming second  was deemed the winner.....

PS,,,  Hope you  haven't forgotten the 3 man semi final fiasco .   

Why was the semi final a farce, it was run to the rules, are you saying that Poland should have been allowed to carry on with two men in the race until they managed to gate ahead of the Russians?

and I agree that the scores after 42 heats should have been the result, but all seven teams knew the rules when the entered the competition, the time to complain was then not at the end, although I only see fans complaining

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

It sounds like you've given up on life Philip.

If you're not going to try and win, why enter the competition?

I DON'T think I ever said they weren't trying to win. GB probably had the right tactics for the final prior to the start of the race (although it might have been better for Tai and Robert to have changed gate positions) but once the tapes go up those tactics are dictated by what the opposition do. And once Emil passed Lambert they became irrelevant. On a track like Wroclaw, with so many racing lines, I find it hard to believe that Tai could have done anything that would have helped Lambert get past a world class rider like Emil who knew exactly what he had to do.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

and I agree that the scores after 42 heats should have been the result, but all seven teams knew the rules when the entered the competition, the time to complain was then not at the end, although I only see fans complaining

But fans matter and fans were complaining as soon as it was announced how the final worked and fan voted with their feet,it was plain to see......ignore fans opinions and you end up with empty stadia.Then you end up with few sponsors,then you end up in trouble.....

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I DON'T think I ever said they weren't trying to win. 

You have effectively said they shouldn't have tried to win the final once the riding order was established

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Speedway now is more professional at the highest level that it has ever been. In fact it is more professional at every level.

Back in Collins day he's racing against amateurs turning up with a bike strapped to the back of their car in many of his races :)

Seriously, not attacking Collins, he was brilliant and rightfully in the conversation for best Brit ever.

Your comments regarding Crump are nonsense. He was still racing. He wasn't winning. He wasn't on a moped.

As for Tai, when did I mention domestic form in the UK?

Crump was racing against the likes of Rickardsson, who nudged him into second place on many occasions, despite turning up with his moped strapped to the back of his Austin A40.

Sometimes, BWitcher, you twist things to suit your argument. It is ok to be wrong, sometimes, you know....

Only in Speedway can a team scoring the most points end up as second best.   And they wonder why the sport is on it's knees!!!

Aside from that, some great racing.

"The Mackem"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scarletrider said:

Only in Speedway can a team scoring the most points end up as second best.   And they wonder why the sport is on it's knees!!!

Aside from that, some great racing.

"The Mackem"

Tennis?

With the emphasis on team riding in SON and the Bonus Point is counted for the final, maybe the bonus points should have counted for all 42 heats as well!

That would have given the following result over the 42 heats.

Russia 45 + 6 = 51

Great Britain 46 + 2 = 48

Poland 36 + 4 = 40

Denmark 35 + 4 = 39

Sweden 32 + 5 = 37

Australia 35 + 1 = 36

Germany 23 + 1 = 24

No change in top 3 places.

Edited by LesR
additional text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Why was the semi final a farce, it was run to the rules, are you saying that Poland should have been allowed to carry on with two men in the race until they managed to gate ahead of the Russians?

There should only be a race-off when the top two teams finish three  points or fewer apart. And if there is a race-off, the leading team can carry their advantage into the race-off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I WILL try one last time ... I believe that Emil is too good to allow a rider like Lambert to pass him no matter what Tai might have done. I am as entitled to my view as any. Doesn't make me right. Or wrong. 

Why cant you get this or are you being deliberately obtuse now?? 

5 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Why cant you get this or are you being deliberately obtuse now?? 

IT comes naturally. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think the skill of being able to fill in a speedway programme without any mistakes makes most fans feel they know it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

And, imagine if Laguta had seen Tai doing that and decided to also drop back to try and help Emil. What a race we would have had!

OR what a crash would’ve ensued

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I think the skill of being able to fill in a speedway programme without any mistakes makes most fans feel they know it all.

I always thought that was the ultimate challenge of human intelligence. If you can achieve perfection the world is your oyster and your pronouncements are to be listened to with reverence. Many an announcer has felt the lash of my tongue when they've wrongly announced the line up or result of a race causing me to make an amendment. :D

• Like 1