British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

56 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT the best start, I must admit, but hopefully;y there will be far better racing at the NSS on Tuesday and then again in Wroclaw. 

The worst possible scenario, of course, is that after nearly 100 races we get to the final, Joe Bloggs is excluded for a tapes offence, and the two opposition guys ride round waving to the crowd knowing they cannot be beaten.What an anti-climax that would be.

No doubt there will be a comprehensive post-mortem after Wroclaw but whether the FIM revert to the SWC or continue with the SON the lack of viability for tracks staging these events, especially the qualifiers, ,remains a big issue. 

As far as I know the only alternative to Wroclaw this year was Belle Vue but while Polish fans, given the popularity of speedway there and their fervent national enthusiasm, might support a two-day event cannot see it working anywhere else including the UK.

ALL of the problems were foreseable before the event.

Almost ALL were created by the FIM and the organisers themselves.

Pretty much all were detailed here on this forum ad nauseum.

Unfortunately people just ploughed on in denial.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT it wasn't the same teams competing for an accumulated score with a result only on the second day. 

No problem with no result til day 2, like a 2 leg meeting really.

The two day World final was an embsrassment, although having it in Holland probably didn't help.

Last night's meeting was not good. It was supposed to be a pairs event, but where was the team riding? Whatever happened to thr great USA team racing style? Hancock racing off into the distance while his partner got passed by all and sundry cost USA a place in the final.

Did anyone really care about the World Pairs in the past? It was always the poor relation of the World Team Cup and the individual championship, and still is.

If they are having the World Cup every 2 years, with this as a filler, then fine. But if this is replacing it then it is a disastrous decision.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 4

This was on It brought in to try to stop the poles from having an easy time. And I'm sure that the poles won t have it as easy. Even on home soil. 

But I do want the SWC back next year. 

52 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT the best start, I must admit, but hopefully;y there will be far better racing at the NSS on Tuesday and then again in Wroclaw. 

The worst possible scenario, of course, is that after nearly 100 races we get to the final, Joe Bloggs is excluded for a tapes offence, and the two opposition guys ride round waving to the crowd knowing they cannot be beaten.What an anti-climax that would be.

No doubt there will be a comprehensive post-mortem after Wroclaw but whether the FIM revert to the SWC or continue with the SON the lack of viability for tracks staging these events, especially the qualifiers, ,remains a big issue. 

As far as I know the only alternative to Wroclaw this year was Belle Vue but while Polish fans, given the popularity of speedway there and their fervent national enthusiasm, might support a two-day event cannot see it working anywhere else including the UK.

There's no reason why they can't return to a SWC style event, held in a similar format to that of the 4's at Peterborough, maybe qualifiers on 1 day and a final on the next, all done and dusted in a weekend!

The trouble with Pairs racing is it only works if the competing pairs are of a similar standard, it's no good having Hancock 30 yards ahead of the pair behind and then Gino 30 yards behind them, where's the entertainment in that? Or Sweden 30 yards in front of the Fins... Riders will only "team ride" if they need to.

At least with 4 individual riders in a race there's more scope for competitive action than with 2 "teams"

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

you never made a mistake at work?

If any of us made as many mistakes as that clown last night we’d have no work!

• Like 3

I cannot see many that watched last night pay out to go to Belle Vue.  It will be slightly better but it is the format that is crap.

12 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Being positive is fine, but Is it moaning to simply want a better commentator for the product we pay a lot of money for that actually gets the score right?   I don't think it is.  Tatum is fine, at least he interjects some technical knowledge now and then. I am not sure what Pearson adds to the product? 

Pearson adds to the decibel volume...... that is about it apart from trying to say Cradley as many times as possible

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulboy said:

If any of us made as many mistakes as that clown last night we’d have no work!

The thing is most of us are very replaceable, Speedway commentators less so. Anyway what's the beef? He didn't swear, I'm sure he didn't deliberately try and mislead people, just got the score wrong, something I did myself the other night at Leicester, I think you should be a little more tolerant of people, he's not a machine

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

I cannot see many that watched last night pay out to go to Belle Vue.  It will be slightly better but it is the format that is crap.

I was toying with the idea of going to BV on Tuesday, I will not bother after last nights borefest... if it had been SWC, I would have gone. They've obviously got to see this years competition out now but it'll be interesting to see how they go forward

• Like 2

I don't think there is a lack of tracks but lack of clubs being able to pay the fees that BSI demands.

I know Smederna were interested in hosting a SWC event because Smederna's club president said so to the local newspaper last summer. 

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

That's no difference to the GPs. Can go all nightnunbeaten but then beaten In  final. That is sport these days. 

It is a bloody big difference.Someone can win a final,but the rider with the most points wins in the end and that is how it was in the SWC as well.This new innovative comp is just rubbish.Plenty said it before a wheel was turned and after a few wheels it looks even worse that some thought

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I am praying for it to happen.

Poland get a 5-1 in every heat. Then in the final against GB, the Poles gate again and disappear into the dust by a whole straight, only for one of then to have an ef on the last bend.

Woffinden and Cook poodle past him waiving to lift the title. The commentators go mad with Pearson shouting Woffy woffy woffy!

And that will be the end of this crap competition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Is it going to be a winner takes all final irrespective of points scored in heats? If so what a farce.!!

The beef is he’s a crap commentator that does nothing to enhance my enjoyment, quite the opposite

Edited by paulboy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

The thing is most of us are very replaceable, Speedway commentators less so. Anyway what's the beef? He didn't swear, I'm sure he didn't deliberately try and mislead people, just got the score wrong, something I did myself the other night at Leicester, I think you should be a little more tolerant of people, he's not a machine

I was toying with the idea of going to BV on Tuesday, I will not bother after last nights borefest... if it had been SWC, I would have gone. They've obviously got to see this years competition out now but it'll be interesting to see how they go forward

Why are Speedway commentators less replaceable? I’m sure there’s plenty of people who would like to try it