Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It also means the during the finals riders will just hold positions to keep their points tally ticking over for Semi and Grand Final,just like GP gathering points for Semi's.The Team with most points should be the Champs IMO .Farcical.

I think the idea of having a final works well in the GPs, as it all adds up over a series of rounds but also gives a definitive champion on the day.

I don't see the point of having a final in a Pairs final. Even less so in a 2 day final.

And, yes, as you say, nobody is going to be busting a gut to get points as there's little point to that, so the racing will be of league standard rather than World Cup standard - which was often exceptional as every point was vital.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

One race, possibly two. Is that enough?

TV is a vital component of major (hopefully international speedway still falls into that category) sport and whenever possible they require that an event goes down to the wire. Having an event where the result is known halfway through is literally a turn-off. 

11 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TV is a vital component of major (hopefully international speedway still falls into that category) sport and whenever possible they require that an event goes down to the wire. Having an event where the result is known halfway through is literally a turn-off. 

If TV is the dictator then I'd like to see is a 2 heat grand final with standard scoring system.

Where teams get to go off 1&3 and 2&4, if it ends 6-6 the highest scoring rider from each pair has a match race.

• Like 4

The threat of thunderstorms may have precipitated the production of a very slick track and consequently poor quality racing.

When I went to Teterow a number of years back the racing was of good quality.

track grading every 4 is fine but why grade after heat 20.... for one heat....

4. 4. 4. 4. 5 would have been far more sensible.

I am sure the two run offs were for the benefit of the Tv to keep the meeting alive

37 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Except in the SWC.

15 years plus without a final. All of them televised.

And I don't remember one single complaint, from anyone, about the lack of a final race.

Lets not invent a problem that hasn't really existed.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AND if they had been complaints when and where would you have heard them? 

Here. Or in Speedway Star, perhaps.

And most probably relayed to us by your goodself.

Edited by Grand Central

France now down to a two man team after their U21 rider pulled out and not being replaced

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Most sports perhaps have to accommodate TV, I.e play off's in football, and I guess we all accept speedway will have to also. But there is a real point here, most other sports don't completely give away credibility of their sport for TV, as in the play-off's in football are for third, not the all important title winners. 

Speedway shouldn't either, but all too often thet do.  That said, I think they got the balance right in the SGP now, a final for TV each SGP, but that final doesn't really impact on the championship too much other than the additional three points for wining the race. 

Edited by TheReturn

So can anybody explain the reason for fridays 1st final and what any result means in relation to saturdays meeting.

If as I think no reason it should have been a semi final where the bottom two or three clubs were eliminated.

15 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I watched it live on the internet. Nicklas obviously didn`t break his leg in the crash last week - he must have been a lucky boy.

Yes I had called from manager on the track to say broken leg and hip. When Nicklas called from hospital he was surprised x-ray showed no breaks. He’s had a bloody painful week with skin looking like someone taken cheese grater to his left side

19 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

So can anybody explain the reason for fridays 1st final and what any result means in relation to saturdays meeting.

If as I think no reason it should have been a semi final where the bottom two or three clubs were eliminated.

I can Scores from Friday’s 21 heats are added to the 21 heats on Saturday - and the top scoring team is in the final(race 23 on 2 nd day) so every point is vital to get straight through to that race !!

the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring teams after the 42 heats go into race 22 (semi- final) and the winners go to the grand final race 23. The losers get the bronze medal on the podium. Gold and Silver is decided on the result of race 23 - the grand final.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

What's the latest regarding Cookie?

Will he ride? Or it is Tai + Lambo?

12 hours ago, Grand Central said:

You could go around and around on this one about what should take precendence; heat wins as against second/thirds.

I am personally firmly in favour of heat wins ... Speedway is about winning above everything else. But I do undertsand the arguments of the other camp.

I think one of the problems KT and NP faced in commentary is that they had to explain the version that they dont really believe in.
But that is what they have been given to work with ... so they over-compensated with blather.

Like it or not, the idea that second and third wins over the heat winner is a disaster to have for TV and a 'final decider'

It is just daft that we have got to this point and noone (that matters) seems to have noticed.

Why is is a disaster for TV?

Yet again.. only in speedway. It's a TEAM event so the first TEAM to finish wins. Not a difficult concept.

I understand the arguments regarding the final however not those bleating 'only speedway' does it... as that is far from the case as has been discussed multiple times over.

I agree, no need for the semi and final in this event. 

I note you mentioning no complaints in the World Cup.. well, there were plenty.. the Joker, which was designed to keep the event as close as possible to maintain interest. 

Edited by BWitcher

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Why is is a disaster for TV?

Yet again.. only in speedway. It's a TEAM event so the first TEAM to finish wins. Not a difficult concept.

Good way of putting it. Also, of course, someone who finished behind their partner gets a bonus point - so in the event of a tie, bonus points are taken into account.

In every way, the team that finishes second and third in a 3-3 should be the winner of a pairs event. Some pairs events even used to even have a 4,3,2,0 scoring system.

• Like 4