British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

HAD huge respect for Tony Millard, a long time friend, but his gaffs were legendary, as has been the case with many high profile commentators, including Murray Walker over the years. 

An aside, Murray once had to comment on the Internationale at Wimbledon for the BBC. One camera in middle of the centre green alongside Murray with me there to help identify the riders ... speedway wasn't his strong point. We all went round in circles until we were dizzy. Believe me, things have got better!

Edited by PHILIPRISING

9 hours ago, salty said:

Not the

Not the point. A professional sports presenter/commentator shouldn't be making such a basic error. Last day of the Football season when promotion/relegation scenarios are changing all the time the comms teams always seem to be on the ball. 

Because they have a raft of backroom staff throughing up graphics on monitors in front of the commentators. Tatum and Pearson have no such luxuries.

Today's the day! The SON could easily be transformed by the quality of the racing and the desire of the riders ( and possibly their knowledge of what Pairs racing is all about ). Fingers crossed that we all marvel later tonight and tomorrow. at having had more than a few glimpses of the the true excitement of what speedway can offer as a sport! That's Life, That's Speedway.

Well at Kent last night, I had a late start, an overwatered track, riders arriving late, numerous crashes, multiple reruns, air fence delays, a clueless start Marshall and a referee that had clearly lost the plot. I hope tonight runs a lot better.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Well at Kent last night, I had a late start, an overwatered track, riders arriving late, numerous crashes, multiple reruns, air fence delays, a clueless start Marshall and a referee that had clearly lost the plot. I hope tonight runs a lot better.

That's speedway UK style too! And is a big part of what has driven fans away in despair. Far too amateurish and mired in the 1950's which has dimmed my Love Affair with the sport for sure.

Its almost a certainty that the track tonight at BV will be a racing track, I am sure the lesson has been learnt for the Friday night WTC!  But the format will still be the same, and will we see team riding as its meant to be.  The sure certainty is that if Collins/Morton or Holder/Ward had been riding (plus others no doubt) we would be seeing team riding. But times have changed. If team riding is not done at league team level, its pretty sure it wont happen at international level.

Team riding? Any better than Tomasz Gollob slowing down Tommy Knudsen? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krompa said:

Pure class that! Hopefully we will see riders helping their team mates out tonight instead of disappearing off into the distance.

Despite all the moaning on here I am really looking forward to going to this tonight.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, acef said:

Granted, a couple of errors at the weekend of which Nigel instantly apologised using social media.

But should a professional commentator be getting it wrong?   He repeats himself every few minutes, which defenders claim is to educate the non speedway masses following... well calling the score wrong (not first time) is not educating any of us, speedway fans or non speedway fans.

Can you image if this summers World Cup final commentator calls the World Cup final score wrong?  Or a few days prior to that miscounts the inevitable penalty shootout that plucky England will go out on?  I am not sure that commentator will be getting a big gig again anytime soon after.

Edit: The defence that he doesn't have a team of people helping him with the scores is bollocks. He's paid to get it right. We pay to be told the right scores.

Edited by TheReturn

7 minutes ago, Aces High said:

Pure class that! Hopefully we will see riders helping their team mates out tonight instead of disappearing off into the distance.

Despite all the moaning on here I am really looking forward to going to this tonight.

Me too, it's speedway on a brilliant track, the National team are competing, the weather poses no threat, what's not to like?  Sod the format & scoring mechanism, if enough riders are in the right frame of mind and fancy a burn up we are in for a treat, bring it on.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

But should a professional commentator be getting it wrong?   He repeats himself every few minutes, which defenders claim is to educate the non speedway masses following... well calling the score wrong (not first time) is not educating any of us, speedway fans or non speedway fans.

Can you image if this summers World Cup final commentator calls the World Cup final score wrong?  Or a few days prior to that miscounts the inevitable penalty shootout that plucky England will go out on?  I am not sure that commentator will be getting a big gig again anytime soon after.

Edit: The defence that he doesn't have a team of people helping him with the scores is bollocks. He's paid to get it right. We pay to be told the right scores.

People make mistakes. Professionals as well. To just say they can't make an error because they are professionals is totally unreasonable in my opinion. 

And the velocity of errors vary. Foul language for example shouldn't be tolerated, but minor errors such as Saturday night really shouldn't have people getting their knickers in a twist over.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Forget imagining that... just imagine for one beautiful moment that: "Supposing a surgeon messed up an operation he was undertaking on you or someone drove into you on a zebra crossingf. I think the 'we all make mistakes' rubbish would soon stop, eh?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by iainb

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

Forget imagining that... just imagine for one beautiful moment that: "Supposing a surgeon messed up an operation he was undertaking on you or someone drove into you on a zebra crossingf. I think the 'we all make mistakes' rubbish would soon stop, eh?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are made aware before any surgery of the potential implications. That includes mistakes. 

It's a very black and white way of thinking and your just one in a line of people who always look for blood. 

Human beings make mistakes. It's how we learn and develop, it's how we get better. 

You will never remove the human factor in any walk of life, we all live on the edge, any given thing can happen at any given moment no matter how much we try and minimise risk. 

I'm your perfect being that never makes errors, please you could explain to the rest of the forum how you do it? 

Edited by acef

1 hour ago, krompa said:

For me this is more poor riding by Knudsen in damp conditions than great team riding. Have witnessed Nielsen and Ermolenko slow races down by three or four seconds to shepperd home a team mate over another top rider. 

So so far we haven't seen much team riding in this event with both Zagar and Hancock leaving team mates to fend for themselves but hopefully this will improve in the finals and expect Woffinden to team ride a bit tonight if both make the gate. 

6 minutes ago, INCOGNITO said:

For me this is more poor riding by Knudsen in damp conditions than great team riding. Have witnessed Nielsen and Ermolenko slow races down by three or four seconds to shepperd home a team mate over another top rider. 

So so far we haven't seen much team riding in this event with both Zagar and Hancock leaving team mates to fend for themselves but hopefully this will improve in the finals and expect Woffinden to team ride a bit tonight if both make the gate. 

Agree. Hancock, in particular, was disappointing considering the great American team riding of the past. For example, THIS is great team riding. Poor quality video, but great team riding.