British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

37 minutes ago, acef said:

You are made aware before any surgery of the potential implications. That includes mistakes. 

It's a very black and white way of thinking and your just one in a line of people who always look for blood. 

Human beings make mistakes. It's how we learn and develop, it's how we get better. 

You will never remove the human factor in any walk of life, we all live on the edge, any given thing can happen at any given moment no matter how much we try and minimise risk. 

I'm your perfect being that never makes errors, please you could explain to the rest of the forum how you do it? 

I'm afraid you'll have to ask RobMcCaffery it was a quote from one of his replies to my posts defending P&T... I just thought I'd repeat it because it made me laugh so much the first time around :rofl:

1 hour ago, krompa said:

Team riding? Any better than Tomasz Gollob slowing down Tommy Knudsen? 

We used to see it every week with Sam Ermolenko at Wolves.

Big difference between 'team riding' with two fast riders riding side by side and 'team riding' where the better rider slows down/controls the race so a lesser rider can win.

Decent-ish example of the latter but doesn't strike me as fantastic team riding.

Edited by BWitcher

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

But should a professional commentator be getting it wrong?   He repeats himself every few minutes, which defenders claim is to educate the non speedway masses following... well calling the score wrong (not first time) is not educating any of us, speedway fans or non speedway fans.

Can you image if this summers World Cup final commentator calls the World Cup final score wrong?  Or a few days prior to that miscounts the inevitable penalty shootout that plucky England will go out on?  I am not sure that commentator will be getting a big gig again anytime soon after.

Edit: The defence that he doesn't have a team of people helping him with the scores is bollocks. He's paid to get it right. We pay to be told the right scores.

No it isn't 'bollox'.

What is 'bollox' is your incessant, non stop rambling, year after year. 

TV commentators in the events you keep referring too, i.e. big events, ALL have people there to correct them if they are wrong. They are fed much of the information by resident statisticians. In days gone by when they were not, many more mistakes were made.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, INCOGNITO said:

For me this is more poor riding by Knudsen in damp conditions than great team riding. Have witnessed Nielsen and Ermolenko slow races down by three or four seconds to shepperd home a team mate over another top rider. 

So so far we haven't seen much team riding in this event with both Zagar and Hancock leaving team mates to fend for themselves but hopefully this will improve in the finals and expect Woffinden to team ride a bit tonight if both make the gate. 

Good post.

Not only that, they would control the race from the first turn. Time and again Ermolenko would tell a rider such as Wayne Carter exactly where to go in the first two turns, he would handle the rest. Usually moving a rider wide so Carter could come underneath.

Woffinden has shown he can team ride on many occasions in the past and as you say, hopefully he will have chance to demonstrate that ability again tonight and perhaps more importantly at the weekend.

Team riding is definitely a dying art. Too many tracks where the outside line is too fast meaning its close to impossible for the guy on the inside.

26 minutes ago, salty said:

Team riding is definitely a dying art. Too many tracks where the outside line is too fast meaning its close to impossible for the guy on the inside.

Not sure that makes any difference when it's done right?

Again, great team riding isn't two riders riding flat out side by side, like Ermolenko/Correy, Hancock/Hamill etc..  it's about the better rider slowing the race down.

Agree it is a dying art. Perhaps the bikes themselves make it more difficult these days?

Edited by BWitcher

Looking at tonight's meeting itself ... What are people's thoughts?

Surely there are three teams going out without much doubt ... Finland, Italy and France. with one of them lasting until heat 22 before being KO'd.

You would think that Sweden, Australia and GB may all get (easy?) 5-1s in those nine races against the lesser sides as well. The rest will decide who gets the two straight final places and who has to fight it out with the Czechs in the race off.

The big races must be heat 10 Swe v Aus, heat 17 GB v Aus and heat 20 Swe v GB when big points can be dropped. But it really could be all down to the Czechs and heats 4, 8 and 15 when the three favourites meet them.

It would seem to be 21 races to work out which of the top three have to race against the Czechs in heat 23 and then win and go through anyway ?

I know I am going to be proved massively wrong ... But at least it makes a change to talk about the meeting rather that the commentators or officialdom.

2 hours ago, krompa said:

Team riding? Any better than Tomasz Gollob slowing down Tommy Knudsen? 

Simply the Best! Or must be one of, at the very least. Tomasz you remain  a legend for your on track exploits. Thank you for the memories. I hope all tonight's riders have seen it and dream of pulling it off.

5 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Looking at tonight's meeting itself ... What are people's thoughts?

Surely there are three teams going out without much doubt ... Finland, Italy and France. with one of them lasting until heat 22 before being KO'd.

You would think that Sweden, Australia and GB may all get (easy?) 5-1s in those nine races against the lesser sides as well. The rest will decide who gets the two straight final places and who has to fight it out with the Czechs in the race off.

The big races must be heat 10 Swe v Aus, heat 17 GB v Aus and heat 20 Swe v GB when big points can be dropped. But it really could be all down to the Czechs and heats 4, 8 and 15 when the three favourites meet them.

It would seem to be 21 races to work out which of the top three have to race against the Czechs in heat 23 and then win and go through anyway ?

I know I am going to be proved massively wrong ... But at least it makes a change to talk about the meeting rather that the commentators or officialdom.

Bellego could be a spoiler for fancied Teams dropping points,if in the mood.

34 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Bellego could be a spoiler for fancied Teams dropping points,if in the mood.

Edge as been fantastic at the NSS to. If both ride like they normally do then they will take points of all teams. 

This is not an easy round

41 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Simply the Best! Or must be one of, at the very least. Tomasz you remain  a legend for your on track exploits. Thank you for the memories. I hope all tonight's riders have seen it and dream of pulling it off.

You really haven't seen much team riding if you think that was anywhere close to being 'the best' team riding.

I wouldn't completely write France off from competing. Bellego does alright in league meetings at our place and Berge was in the mix for a lot of the 90th anniversary meeting.

anyone happen to have a programme for today's meeting so I can print it out?

4 minutes ago, tarkens said:

anyone happen to have a programme for today's meeting so I can print it out?

For anyone coming from the East, there’s a massive crash on the M62 between junctions 29 & 30