British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Just now, Col said:

Was at the NSS last night and having to drive on A roads all the way to Stoke as the nearest M60 junction (southbound at least) to the NSS was shut didn't have time to post last night or watch the TV version of events, also only read the latest page of comments.

The best races of the night both all involved Australia, the heats against Sweden, Finland & France were the best action.

Was surprised Cook only got one heat, didn't understand why he didn't get a ride (probably with Lambert) against the lesser teams.  Injured?

Lindgren was super fast all night, looks like he might challenge for the world title this year, when I thought his time had passed.  Unlike Doyle who doesn't seem to be riding with the confidence he had the two previous years.

Milik showed he can mix it with the best.

It has been mentioned that Cook had a warning and that it would be risky to use him because of that.

11 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

It has been mentioned that Cook had a warning and that it would be risky to use him because of that.

But if they replaced Cook last night as he was injured he couldn't be used at the weekend I assume?

Not that the usual candidates Harris or King are performing particularly well this year,  with S Worrall injured & probably a year too early for Bewley I guess options are very limited.

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

So really his team mate let him down by coming last? Pathetic of him to win the race

Yes, it was pathetic of him to do nothing, as the senior rider in the partnership, to help his team mate. 

And yes, it was pathetic of him to blast of and win the race as it meant nothing other than personal glory and guaranteed his team being eliminated. 

If you don't understand that basic concept, little point discussing with you. 

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

At the meeting I didn't realise Cook was on a warning and was very disappointed for him. However knowing that I think Rossiter did the right thing for the team and should be commended for it.

I felt that the replacement in the second heat was pre-planned but when Lambert won he had to stick with him. Lambert then followed that up with another race win and by that point I don't think Rossiter had much choice but to go with the form rider. It would have been unfair to pull Robert at that point and although he slipped up against Italy throwing Craig back in for those two heats after everyone else had four heats under their belts would have been unfair. Lambert grabbed his opportunity and Cook didn't.

Will Cook be disappointed? I would have thought he absolutely would be, he has to know it has been a poor season so far. This has been a new low but even in the league he has been outshone by Fricke, Bewley, Worrall and now Tungate. As a BV fan I will be hoping he can turn it around next Monday but he must be about fourth or fifth favourite for that meeting now on his home track. If he doesn't win it or go close I can't see where the turnaround is coming at the moment.

• Like 1

The object of the final and race off (under these rules) is to use any (legal) means possible to get one of your opponents into last place. That is it. Nothing else.

Or force them not to finish/start at all, a technique Millik had rather wasted by using it perfectly in heat one.

Anyone who has kept themselves free of warnings right to the final on Saturday would be well advised to use the 'green light bunny hop' Millik did last night in heat one to cause a tape touch from the opponent in the final and instantly win the tournament for his nation !

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

2 meetings with race offs etc to decide what was always obvious the 7 teams in final was going to be.

The only question for me was which other team from Teterow would qualify along with Russia & Denmark, had the Latvians been at full strength & Ļebedevs riding like he did last year then I don't think it would have been as clear cut as it was. 

The selection would have been interesting if Worrall had not been injured and was continuing his fine form and he was also our best rider in Poland in the WTC. I noticed at the GP in Wroclaw and again last night that when Woffinden and Cook were being interviewed the body language didn't point to any connection between them at all, Woffinden seemed happier riding with Lambert which you can understand as I think Robert would give him the best back up and will probably get most races in Poland. Just got the feeling Woffy and Cookie not overly enamoured with each other?

Great heat 20, what was attendance?

Is Rosco stuck with Cook for the final ?  Seems a waste to take Cook as a Number 2 only for Lambert to start.  Might as well take young Bewley as the U21 rider, then if something happens with Wuffy at least you have a rider to throw in.   Cook and his geaqr seems way of the pace at this level, so if a change can be made, why not make it ?

Changes cant be made.

1 minute ago, semion said:

Is Rosco stuck with Cook for the final ?  Seems a waste to take Cook as a Number 2 only for Lambert to start.  Might as well take young Bewley as the U21 rider, then if something happens with Wuffy at least you have a rider to throw in.   Cook and his geaqr seems way of the pace at this level, so if a change can be made, why not make it ?

It can`t be made unless injured or ill - which has to be accepted by the FIM 

Was Cook not Ill or injured last week ?  If so that's an  easy card  to pull

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Careful, you'll be taking the title away from ytsjam for ridiculous comment. 

In any other team sport what do you think the response would be if the commentators  got the score wrong? There would rightly be an outcry. But, because we're dealing with speedway, among the more dimwitted people who follow it, it's okay. I am now convinced that you kept posting your witless 'we all make mistakes' rubbish because you were too stupid to actually follow the discussion. Now you make a cheap comment like this. 

We had another score error tonight, this time on BSI's graphics. Thankfully it was corrected. 

Getting the score wrong would not be accepted in any other sport, so why is it okay in speedway? Is it such a worthless sport that it doesn't matter? 

Regarding tonight overall, unsurprisingly the NSS and professional organisation made a silk purse out of this sow's ear and thankfully we had some good racing with the minor nations not being complete cannon fodder. The ridiculous failure of three nations top provide full teams thankfully didn't compromise the situation. 

i do hope we get a couple of good meetings at Wroclaw. I love the sport and don't want it to fail. but there are too many weaknesses in this 'second and third take all' format which could have an embarrassing finale in heat 43 on Saturday.

Yes I love the sport, but the sheer pig-headed stupidity of some of the supporters drives me to despair sometimes. 

Anyway, to shut iainb up I'll save him some work.

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

We all make mistakes 

But not always on live TV when in front of thousands of people when you're paid well to be taking care not to make mistakes. 

I understand Nigel has apologised, and it's only right that he did. Apparently to some he doesn't need to get it right in future though..............

Stickerline-elsa-let-it-go.png