British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Just now, Grachan said:

Oh well, at least I got the rest of it correct.

YOU may say that but any glance at Twitter for example and you will find it is not me having a go at Rosco.

3 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

When choosing to rebut accusations.

It is revealing to find which one must feel to be the most offensive.

NEITHER was entirely accurate

As for the fitness programme being implemented Ivan Mauger stated this being one of the the key areas over 40 years ago and he didn't do too bad did he? As for the psycology again he was well ahead of his time, seems todays riders are just catching on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU may say that but any glance at Twitter for example and you will find it is not me having a go at Rosco.

If I glance at Twitter I mainly get stuff posted by Piers Morgan - so I guess I'd better check with him then.

Looking forward to the final, I expect it to be a straight shoot out between Poland & Russia with Sweden the most likely to take the other spot on the rostrum.  With the possible exception of the Germans all teams have the potential to be spoilers but I don't see making the rostrum.

I was in Bydgoszcz when Iversen overtook Kolodziej on the final bend to steal the title away from the home nation but since then (& the following year) several high quality Polish riders have established themselves and I doubt any nation would get close to competing with them in a 4 man team scenario.  But fair play to Sweden last year, they kept the final interesting.

Edited by Col

Just now, Col said:

Looking forward to the final, I expect it to be a straight shoot out between Poland & Russia with Sweden the most likely to take the other spot on the rostrum.  With the possible exception of the Germans all teams have the potential to be spoilers but I don't see making the rostrum.

I was in Bydgoszcz when Iversen overtook Kolodziej on the final bend to steal the title away from the home nation but since then (& the following year) several high quality Polish riders have established themselves and I doubt any nation would get close to competing with them in a 4 man team scenario.  But fair play to Sweden last year, they kept the final interesting last year.

There was once a period of time when England/Great Britain were dominant in the WTC for 4 /5 man teams.

No one seemed to think it appropriate to suspend that world championship to stop them winning each year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You will get better results if you employ a headshrink and a good tuner, that’s all that matters in speedway always has always will, your not on track long enough for the rest to make a big difference, if  this althlete thing works for an individual rider then great but it’s not for everyone and any motorsport competitor will tell you, you can have the best equipment and have the best team around you and be the fittest athlete in the world but if your head is not 100% you won’t win anything and that applies even more in speedway cause all that belief has to be packed into 100 yards to the first corner and no amount of physical training will get you to that. The two heads are everything in speedway, the one on the shoulders and the one on the barrel, get those right  you will go along way 

See, here's the reason I'm getting so fed up with Speedway. Fans have been crying out for British Speedway to get with the times, modernise itself, be more professional. The Great Britain franchise are doing exactly that and bang, "All you need is a mental strength and the fastest bike". That is a so old fashioned approach to world Speedway today. None of the top class rider's just rely on their equipment. 

Woffy puts his World Titles down to the change in his diet and the way of training.

Doyle the last 2 seasons exactly the same.

We see it time after time, the Poles haves the best equipment you can buy on the World stage yet fail to deliver individual winners every year.

Being mentally strong is very important, I agree. But having the fastest equipment and practicing going round and round on your own is way past it's time.

Physical fitness and nutritional dieting, and pre-meeting training is very important. 

I suppose we'll see if the new approach becomes more effective over the next couple of years.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

See, here's the reason I'm getting so fed up with Speedway. Fans have been crying out for British Speedway to get with the times, modernise itself, be more professional. The Great Britain franchise are doing exactly that and bang, "All you need is a mental strength and the fastest bike". That is a so old fashioned approach to world Speedway today. None of the top class rider's just rely on their equipment. 

Woffy puts his World Titles down to the change in his diet and the way of training.

Doyle the last 2 seasons exactly the same.

We see it time after time, the Poles haves the best equipment you can buy on the World stage yet fail to deliver individual winners every year.

Being mentally strong is very important, I agree. But having the fastest equipment and practicing going round and round on your own is way past it's time.

Physical fitness and nutritional dieting, and pre-meeting training is very important. 

I suppose we'll see if the new approach becomes more effective over the next couple of years.

Don’t believe everything you read about the poles, why is Jason Doyle not leading the world championship ? Or to.be honest not at the top of his game ? His equipment is the best and his training is at the top so what’s changed ? It’s his mindset, he is NO1 and with it comes a change in mindset, not diet or fitness and that’s why it is so hard to to do back to back titles, notice woffinden has the well known fitness coach  Pete Adams back in his corner at GPs, speedway is a head game, personally I just think we will get the same results we would of anyway , in Wroclaw we should be able to get on rostrum as it’s woffinden track and lambert can cut it in poland, I don’t think Cook can but I just think he is too nervous and too wound up to be able to make an impact and you don’t change that with fitness , one place I do think they will make an impact is raising the profile on team GB cause the world is full of that type of people who believe all the add ons is the way everything should be 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Rooboy to manage Team Great Britain? Perhaps the right attitude but his heart lies far away and despite the paperwork, he will always be an Aussie through and through.

Agree.  Nothing personal to Schlein, great competitor, but he is an Aussie.     We must be able to find someone from GB to fill in the program.

32 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Don’t believe everything you read about the poles, why is Jason Doyle not leading the world championship ? Or to.be honest not at the top of his game ? His equipment is the best and his training is at the top so what’s changed ? It’s his mindset, he is NO1 and with it comes a change in mindset, not diet or fitness and that’s why it is so hard to to do back to back titles, notice woffinden has the well known fitness coach  Pete Adams back in his corner at GPs, speedway is a head game, personally I just think we will get the same results we would of anyway , in Wroclaw we should be able to get on rostrum as it’s woffinden track and lambert can cut it in poland, I don’t think Cook can but I just think he is too nervous and too wound up to be able to make an impact and you don’t change that with fitness , one place I do think they will make an impact is raising the profile on team GB cause the world is full of that type of people who believe all the add ons is the way everything should be 

You may well be right, but modern rider's need ALL the aspects to be at the top. Mental strength and the fastest bike won't cut it alone. Also every rider is different and react better to different approaches, I'm not naive to think there's 1 way for all.

Fitness and nutritional dieting were the difference for Woffy and Doyle to make that step to the top. Neither of these had changed much else, same bikes, same tuners etc, but upped their health and made huge strides.

Another working example of fitness and nutritional dieting this year is Robert Lambert. He's been something else this season, lost a tonne of weight and bulked up a bit. It's worked dividends so far. 

You also have to look at the youngsters who have gone through the Poultec program & the No Limits too. Some big strides for them over the last 2-3 years.

There really is so much more to riding these days to just having your head in the right place and the fastest bikes. Of course they help, but if you ain't at your peak in physical fitness you will be left behind. These are facts about every sport that takes a toll on the body.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

There was once a period of time when England/Great Britain were dominant in the WTC for 4 /5 man teams.

No one seemed to think it appropriate to suspend that world championship to stop them winning each year. 

And the Danes won it every year from 1983 to 1988.  The Danes also dominate the pairs from 1985-1990.  Different times though, if this was televised which seems unlikely as there were only 4 UK TV stations at the time (no idea about the rest of Europe) those who were televising it either had very little competition for advertising at the same time, or no such pressure if it wasn't televised.

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You will get better results if you employ a headshrink and a good tuner, that’s all that matters in speedway always has always will, your not on track long enough for the rest to make a big difference, if  this althlete thing works for an individual rider then great but it’s not for everyone and any motorsport competitor will tell you, you can have the best equipment and have the best team around you and be the fittest athlete in the world but if your head is not 100% you won’t win anything and that applies even more in speedway cause all that belief has to be packed into 100 yards to the first corner and no amount of physical training will get you to that. The two heads are everything in speedway, the one on the shoulders and the one on the barrel, get those right  you will go along way 

It is all part of the package and contributes towards your head being 100%.

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You're so out of your depth on this topic it's staggering.

You're adding 2+2 and coming up with 9 to fit your argument. The majority of the top boys take fitness very seriously. Is it the be all and end all? Of course it isn't yet you seem to have got it into your head that is what people are saying. However, don't bother with that side of it and you have a piece missing from the puzzle. 

Doyle is completely the wrong example to use as it was only when he did get serious that he suddenly elevated himself into the top echelon. 

You rightly keep talking about the mental side of it whilst remaining completely oblivious to the reality that being physically fit vastly boosts your confidence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sommelier said:

Whose better than Rossiter, Peter Adams in all departments!

Yes totally agree and i would have the late great Dent Oliver on par with Adams.

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It is all part of the package and contributes towards your head being 100%.

If your not a fitness person and there are some that are then doing something that you don’t want to is not good for your head, there are some riders that go into their own little world on race days and being forced against your routine is not good for your head