British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, kraftwerk said:

Regarding the dead heat mentioned in the rule book, when was the last time riders split points? I've never seen a ref splitting points.

It's always done like that. What do you think they do?

2 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

oh yes, i thought they were talking about a dead heat between teams. So i guess in the Final if the two teams finish with 3:3 the winner is the one who actually wins that race

No, that's a draw.

Regarding the dead heat mentioned in the rule book, when was the last time riders split points? I've never seen a ref splitting points.

It's rare indeed. I think I've seen 2 in 48 years! By comparison, I've seen 1 race where all 4 riders were excluded.

And I believe deadheats are not "allowed" under FIM rules i.e. GPs, SWC, U21 etc. The referee has to declare a result even if the riders cross the line together.

With todays technology it should be straightforward to have reliable photo finish equipment in place to avoid any doubt

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

With todays technology it should be straightforward to have reliable photo finish equipment in place to avoid any doubt

We can't even "photo start" let alone finish :blink:

oh yes, i thought they were talking about a dead heat between teams. So i guess in the Final if the two teams finish with 3:3 the winner is the one who actually wins that race.

NO

Regulation 9.2 states that in the race-off heats and the Grand Final where it ends 3-3 the winner of the race is actually the loser.

It is the second and third that win.

This problem is inherent in a pairs event settled by single races rather than overall points score. And yet we are told that it is the TV people who need a deciding final. I bet the TV bods don't realise this gem of a rule they have been landed with and it's potential consequences.

I know the 4320 scoring often used (but not here) has this effect and other pairs events run with the second and third winning, but really is that consistent with an event having a a deciding single race? I have certainly hated its use over the years.

Surely any method where the guy that wins the Grand final may be deemed the loser of the championship, is bloody bonkers as a crescendo to a 4 day international tournament on TV, especially to outside viewers.

Edited by Grand Central