British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Wow, what a meeting and what a performance from GB

But I have to say that Martin Smolinski has the heart of a lion. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE Jury is still out of a number of issues with the SON. Firstly, the title of the competition is a nonsense. It tells the greater public nothing, especially from a media point-of-view. It is a World Championship and should include the word world. 

The choice of venue for the opening round was extremely poor, although do not know what if any alternatives there were. Poor track, no facilities, came across poorly on TV, a largely German crew that had never covered speedway before, many comms issues on the day.

Two run-off heats are un-necessary. One would suffice (3rd v 4th) especially as it is possible, as happened in Teterow, that one nation (Slovenia) had three races on the trot.

Walking around the pits at BV on Tuesday afternoon it was nice to see so many nations represented. However, there were too many non-competitive races. The idea that each country should have an Under-21 reserve is fine in theory but not in practice. Why not simply have three-man squads, to be used at the discretion of the team manager. It would still be a pair in each race and just as likely if not more to produce team riding.

With the final still to come, many things (such as a two-day final, the scoring system particularly for the Final) have yet to come under scrutiny. What if the championship is decided by a rider getting an exclusion or an engine failure. Plusses and minuses, as in all new ventures.

What we already know is that much depends on the actual track on which these riders are expected to perform to the best of their ability. The NSS fits the bill perfectly. As Antonio Lindback remarked it is fun to race on and if the riders are enjoying whet they are doing the paying public will too.

Excellent analysis. 

Now we've had the meeting I've just got to say thank you to the three GB riders (yes three!) for their part in making me proud of a British speedway team for the first time in years. Thank you, bless you and please finish off the job tomorrow.

Was the meeting title set in English or another language such as French which the FIM seems to use a lot? Is it a case of it not translating well, or just FIM/BSI dimwittedness?.

I don't oppose change because I can't cope with it. I fight change when it's clearly wrong. To do anything else is intellectual bankruptcy. I love the SWC/WTC and want it back - NEXT YEAR, 

So, I don't like the format but that didn't stop it being a very good meeting with a delightful result. Worrying that the Poles don't look interested. At least one thing was missing - that farcical joker.

Anyway, the tournament was supposed to help the minor nations, and there we are, first ;)

P.S. Now we've got a sponsor for the team perhaps it's a little catastrophically foolish for some one here to call the team "England" given that the sponsors are Scottish. Ah yes, finding sponsors then insulting them. Just like the 80s all over again :o

Edited by RobMcCaffery

No one saw that coming. What an amazing result from day 1.

where are all the Tai haters and Lambert bashers?? Been reading thru and they are all strangely quiet. Thank god for those two, should have been both of them from the start with Bewley getting reserve experience at this level.

Woffy is something else stepping up for his country and passion for us too. No one took team riding to his level tonight.

Thank god we have a professional set up running the National squad with our top boy representing us now.

Just need to get a team manager who can fit in with this new ethos.

Rosco said it all on Tuesday when he said ‘I’ve had nothing to do’. He had one job to do and that was to let Robert ride with Tai in every race. He nearly got that right.

can we dream of a possible gold?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krompa said:

Tomorrow will be pretty exciting. Plenty of questions come to mind.

Will Poland catch Danes? Will GB keep Russia behind? 

By the way, I heard somwhere that Gorzow will host World Cup next year (yes, World Cup, not Pairs). And that both competitions will be run every 2 years.

2018 Pairs, 2019 Teams, 2020 Pairs and so on.

Anyone to confirm?

Personally I love this idea!

Love a rumour.   Who told you ?

Just to clarify is tomorrow a continuation of today, or a brand new meeting but with the points carried forward?IE will the rider warnings stand, and will the Germans be able to replace Huckenbeck?

Edited by teaboy279

Does Cook have to have a ride ? If so which heat would you put him in.

Cook should never have been in the GB team this year, he has not been in good shape at all this season., and though he is putting a positive face on events, what has happened must surely be destroying his confidence even further.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Love a rumour.   Who told you ?

The contract for the SWC at Gorzów seems to be well known and quite a few people here in Wrocław were talking about it yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

The contract for the SWC at Gorzów seems to be well known and quite a few people here in Wrocław were talking about it yesterday. 

Its a good idea that the two events alternate. But to have every bloody final in Poland is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Agree that the SON title has to change. Is it also beyond the wits of the organisers that if they want a stadium announcer translating into English language that they find someone familiar with speedway terminology? Some of what was coming over the tannoy here in Wrocław last night sounded like Google had translated it. 

7 hours ago, OGT said:

that Martin Smolinski has the heart of a lion. Unbelievable.

The best I have seen him ride, truly world class. Other than that GP win of course. Well done Smoli!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Woffinden, what can you say. The way in which he protected and shepherded Lambert as much as he could whilst also controlling the race was incredible. To do that and to go through the meeting unbeaten despite giving Lambert the inside gates was something to be long remembered.

Woffy. Woffy. Woffy !!! That is all you can say ( or shout out LOUD).

• Like 3

Robert really is coming of age this season, what a brilliant performance from him last night helped by some absolute wizardry by Tai. My only concern is setting his bike up for the inside every time is leaving him vulnerable to outside runs as we saw once or twice last night.

Excellent race track once some dirt moved out, let's hope they don't compromise that in an effort to assist the below par Poles this evening.

• Like 3

I’m sure they will the same as they would in this Country for the GB team.  The surprise to me is how badly it caught out the Poles last night.

Wuffy, sublime, majestic and a 1000 other words.

Lambert...... Welcome to big time Speedway, it seems you have found a home

• Like 2

What a performance by Woffinden! That must go down as possibly the greatest performance of all time by a British rider. Stunning.

Of course, Sod's law says that this is the meeting that goes ovrr 2 days and all comes down to a final, sonthere's a long way to go yet.

Lambert was brilliant too, and his gating was top draw, making things a lot easier.

I really enjoyed the meeting, but it's no World Cup. What a shame they can't at least call it a World Championship. The size of the crowd, even in Poland, must tell them something.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 4

It seems that we finished first because Morris fixed the track to favour GB.

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/759465/marek-cieslak-nie-chce-sie-tlumaczyc-torem-wszyscy-mieli-taki-sam

Lovely people. It can't be easy being constantly pushed around by all the other speedway countries ;)