British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

11 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Love him or loathe him but Tai was emperious last night - he was untouchable and team rode brilliantly.  So glad he is riding for Team GB again.  Felt sorry again for Cook - his only ride was off gate 4 and I would be surprised if he got a ride today because Tai and Robert look a good pairing.

ON and off the track. Tai clearly likes Lambert and enjoys riding with him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The best I have seen him ride, truly world class. Other than that GP win of course. Well done Smoli!

You didn't see him win the SGP in Auckland then? 

• Like 1

I think had we seen the 4320 option then more riders might have felt more comfortable risking a 5-4 than a 3-3

But also team riding is a bit of a lost art because it’s not naturally practiced or riders really are not simply used to doing it and worried they will make such a hash if it.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

What a performance by Woffinden! That must go down as possibly the greatest performance of all time by a British rider. Stunning.

Of course, Sod's law says that this is the meeting that goes ovrr 2 days and all comes down to a final, sonthere's a long way to go yet.

Lambert was brilliant too, and his gating was top draw, making things a lot easier.

I really enjoyed the meeting, but it's no World Cup. What a shame they can't at least call it a World Championship. The size of the crowd, even in Poland, must tell them something.

Agree with that.Superb from both riders and the meeting was great I must say.But the poor crowd tells its own story.Guess it will be better tonight,but the poor performance from the Poles has probably spoilt a bumper crowd.Not many are going to want to see them finish 4th or so.We can get great racing in the bauhaus pairs meeting,but it still doesn’t mean it captures the public’s interest

Ehat we seem to have if we listen to Phil is a comp that some countries want, but not many fans are interested in.And the bottom line is,we have to run meetings for fans,not officials.Nobody can really be happy with pictures of an empty stadium

Just hope the best team wins in the end.And hope that is Tai and Robert

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

How to translate, please?

Sorry. Put the website address into Google Translate. 

https://translate.google.co.uk/

Better still if you use a browser like Chrome add Google translate to your broweser extensions. There are apps for phones too. 

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The best I have seen him ride, truly world class. Other than that GP win of course. Well done Smoli!

After wiping out his partner for the night after being too reliant on cutting the corner, but yes, a very good performance by him. He seems able to ride mid track now, not just on the white line. 

23 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FROM what we saw last night having two riders from the same country in a race (one can hardly steam ride on his own) makes for compulsive viewing when watching the likes of Woffinden, although fair play to Laguta and Smolinski who ultimately thwarted his efforts to shepherd Lambert home on two occasions.

For every race like Woffinden's there were too many when the difference in ability showed. Take the SGP. or SWC. If there's a (relatively) poor rider in the race then the other two or three can still have a great race. In the pairs it's so easy to see a race where one pair just steams off into the distance. In SGP/SWC there's a four-way battle per race. In Pairs it's just a two-way battle, but as we saw last night it still can be thrilling. Unlike the raceoffs. 

Speedway's all about getting the right mix of riders in the race. At least last night Smolinski saved the six German races from being a bore. 

Tai's riding last night was simply stunning and it was wonderful to see his team riding. Now in 67 heats of speedway this week just how many other examples have we had?

I remember how the pairs went stale in the 90 and we ended up with the appalling six rider race concept as the FIM desperately tried to prop up a dying format. Yes, it's fresher again after 20 years but for me it's a bit of fun at Somerset the night before Cardiff, not a serious World Championship, even if we win it. 

Relieved to see the SWC back next year. It's one of my highlights of the year. This blow of this poor replacement might at least be softened by a British win. That'll get the Poles really whinging!

23 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I can "steam ride" on my own !! i had a great time on the north Yorkshire moors  steam railway the other week. :D

Gricer!

;)

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

For every race like Woffinden's there were too many when the difference in ability showed. Take the SGP. or SWC. If there's a (relatively) poor rider in the race then the other two or three can still have a great race. In the pairs it's so easy to see a race where one pair just steams off into the distance. In SGP/SWC there's a four-way battle per race. In Pairs it's just a two-way battle, but as we saw last night it still can be thrilling. Unlike the raceoffs. 

Speedway's all about getting the right mix of riders in the race. At least last night Smolinski saved the six German races from being a bore. 

Tai's riding last night was simply stunning and it was wonderful to see his team riding. Now in 67 heats of speedway this week just how many other examples have we had?

I remember how the pairs went stale in the 90 and we ended up with the appalling six rider race concept as the FIM desperately tried to prop up a dying format. Yes, it's fresher again after 20 years but for me it's a bit of fun at Somerset the night before Cardiff, not a serious World Championship, even if we win it. 

Relieved to see the SWC back next year. It's one of my highlights of the year. This blow of this poor replacement might at least be softened by a British win. That'll get the Poles really whinging!

THE SWC isn't. necessarily back next year. A decision will be taken after a thorough post-mortem of the SON by the fIM and BSI.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE SWC isn't. necessarily back next year. A decision will be taking after a thorough post-mortem of the SON by the fIM and BSI.

BSI isn't stupid. They need Poles to be happy. Poland loves SWC. 

But seems a bit much to have a final yet again in Poland next year,but if they have a signed contract then what is there to debate?Are we heading for yet more nonsense?

• Like 2

Just now, PHILIPRISING said:

POLAND loves winning

Everyone loves winning. 

Is it really the way to punish us for being so strong as a team? 

To remove teams competition completely and replace it with Pairs? 

Just now, krompa said:

Everyone loves winning. 

Is it really the way to punish us for being so strong as a team? 

To remove teams competition completely and replace it with Pairs? 

POLAND had everything in their favour last night. Didn't have to qualify, home advantage, etc. Any suggestion that the track was doctored against them is not only pure nonsense but also sour grapes. Like GB they had a Wroclaw rider but, unlike GB, also a World No. 2. No excuses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

POLAND had everything in their favour last night. Didn't have to qualify, home advantage, etc. Any suggestion that the track was doctored against them is not only pure nonsense but also sour grapes. Like GB they had a Wroclaw rider but, unlike GB, also a World No. 2. No excuses.

I'm not saying anything about yesterday. Polish riders were not good enough and I agree with all you said.

But why can anyone remove World Cup completely only to punish Poland for being too strong?

• Like 1