British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarRacer

Championship Predictions 2018

So let's open this up....

I am going with Scotty Nicholls at Peterborough with maybe someone like Bukhave to complete....

1 Ipswich - Barely a weakness for me, on paper the best team - as it stands, the one to beat, I give them the edge on Glasgow as I think they will get more away points

2 Glasgow - Cracking looking side, wouldn't surprise me if they win - they need Vissing or Starke to step up to third heat leader, if one of them does then they will be impressive indeed

3 Sheffield - Defending champion look good, and will be very hard to get near at home - as ever - will take some beating

4 Lakeside - Great looking team and very strong and impressive top-two - best in the league for me, and that will take them a long way

5 Scunthorpe - Best rider in the league in Worrall but just not convinced Auty and Garrity can do it for the whole season, if they do then they could push for play-offs

6 Workington - Solid rather than spectacular team, missing power at the top end, but will be good at home

7 Edinburgh - Need someone to step up to third heat-leader role, but they will make changes so could easily go better than this initial team

8 - Redcar - All down to newcomers Stewart and MBA - if one of those is a gem, they could go really well given they have strongest reserve pairing in the league - if not, could be a struggle

9 Peterborough - Even with Nicholls, don't fancy the Panthers to trouble the better teams - his average will drop massively too, don't think he will be as dominant as they hope

10 - Berwick - Solid enough, Summers is solid enough at 1 and reserves will be good but the rest look average at best

11 - Newcastle - Barring Nicki Pederson coming back at number one, this could be worst Newcastle team in years, poor heat-leaders, average second-stringers - the fact they have had to wait to build team has cleared hampered them - mid-season changes could help them a lot

Everyone says the teams are level - but I think the top-five in this list are some way ahead of the rest IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedcarRacer said:

I am going with Scotty Nicholls at Peterborough with maybe someone like Bukhave to complete....

1 Ipswich - Barely a weakness for me, on paper the best team - as it stands, the one to beat, I give them the edge on Glasgow as I think they will get more away points

2 Glasgow - Cracking looking side, wouldn't surprise me if they win - they need Vissing or Starke to step up to third heat leader, if one of them does then they will be impressive indeed

3 Sheffield - Defending champion look good, and will be very hard to get near at home - as ever - will take some beating

4 Lakeside - Great looking team and very strong and impressive top-two - best in the league for me, and that will take them a long way

5 Scunthorpe - Best rider in the league in Worrall but just not convinced Auty and Garrity can do it for the whole season, if they do then they could push for play-offs

6 Workington - Solid rather than spectacular team, missing power at the top end, but will be good at home

7 Edinburgh - Need someone to step up to third heat-leader role, but they will make changes so could easily go better than this initial team

8 - Redcar - All down to newcomers Stewart and MBA - if one of those is a gem, they could go really well given they have strongest reserve pairing in the league - if not, could be a struggle

9 Peterborough - Even with Nicholls, don't fancy the Panthers to trouble the better teams - his average will drop massively too, don't think he will be as dominant as they hope

10 - Berwick - Solid enough, Summers is solid enough at 1 and reserves will be good but the rest look average at best

11 - Newcastle - Barring Nicki Pederson coming back at number one, this could be worst Newcastle team in years, poor heat-leaders, average second-stringers - the fact they have had to wait to build team has cleared hampered them - mid-season changes could help them a lot

Everyone says the teams are level - but I think the top-five in this list are some way ahead of the rest IMO

Why didn't you just post number 11 as that's all you were trying to say, numpy. Get back to the village.

1. Sheffield

2. Ipswich

3. Scunthorpe

4. Lakeside

5. Glasgow

6. Edinburgh

7. Redcar

8. Workington

9. Newcastle

10. Berwick

11. Peterborough

1. Ipswich- look a very good side 

2. Glasgow - same as above could be either to be honest 

3. Sheffield - look strong all the way through

4. Scunthorpe - great top 6 if they get a 7 who scores a couple of points they will do well 

5. Edinburgh - big home advantage will see them do well 

6. Lakeside - great top 2. Will be great at home

7. Peterbrough - Depends on number 1 but looks a ok side 

8. Redcar - ok number 1 and strong reserves but its a very even track which means they will drop points 

9. Workington - just cant see who wins races often enough in this team.. like Bewley and Bickley though 

10. Berwick - only not bottom because of how poor Newcastle look 

11. Newcastle- If they get a big number 1 swap them with Berwick 

Berwick strong at reserve, Lindman unknown quantity, think a fully fit Busk Jakobsen could push for our Number 1 spot on current line-up. If we can get out of the habit of losing home meetings will finish mid table.

1 Glasgow

2 Sheffield

3 Ipswich

4 Redcar

5 Scunthorpe

6 Workington

7 Lakeside

8 Edinburgh

9 Newcastle

10 Peterborough

11 Berwick

Very open and therefore difficult to predict. Many are putting the same teams towards the bottom end and although I have done the same I dont see any team being truly adrift.

Mid season changes could easily turn the whole league on its head and as ever (unfortunately) injuries may have as big a say as any other factor.

Best of luck to all and heres hoping for a great season of great racing everywhere.

Okay I will go with the following;

(1) Lakeside; strong top 4 especially if they can get Newman going to something like his reputed potential, plus a technical track that a number of riders will have to ride before or for sometime I think will play into their favour.

(2) Glasgow; the team has feel of a big money team, and looks like the promotion have splash the cash and spent it wisely, but I think they will finish just short again.

(3) Ipswich; Strong looking side that will be pushing hard again, a lot will depend upon how the new German lad goes.

(4) Sheffield; Providing we can keep everybody fit I cannot see any coming to Owlerton and getting anything with that in mind I expect us to make the Play Offs yet again.

(5) Scunthorpe; A very strong team and I would have tipped them for the top 4, but there are a number of those riders that have a reputation picking up injuries.

(6) Edinburgh; Not looking so promising for the Monarchs, but you can never rule them out so we may see them squeeze through to the Play Offs, but under their present guise I don't see them making it.

(7) Workington; Solid team that will be hard to beat, but not unbeatable around their own track, will be interesting to see how young Bickley goes in his first season in the Championship.

(8) Redcar; A lot will depend on how the newcomers in the team go, but always a bit of a gamble when have more than one rider coming in on assessed averages.

(9) Peterborough; They really need Scott Nicholls, because if they are going to run the majority of their meetings on a Sunday they are going to have problems attracting big names to the club due to Poland.

(10) Newcastle; Difficult to see where they are going with the team, but losing both Worrall and Lambert add to the fact that have run meetings on a Sunday means that they will struggle to attract big riders to the club.

(11) Berwick; Not sure what is going through the minds of the Berwick promotion, finishing the bottom of the league last season keeping 4 out of the 7 of the bottom of the league team, replacing Nick Morris with Aaron Summers and bringing in an untried foreign rider on an assessed average spells disaster to me. Shame really as there is a loyal, vocal hard set of fans who deserve better.             

4 hours ago, RedcarRacer said:

Agree with this pretty much.

6 hours ago, RedcarRacer said:

One of the lads at work mentioned Jacob as a possible rider at Peterborough. Would be good to see him ride a full season in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Bellers101 said:

11) Newcastle.

Usually people say every village has one, and then along comes number 2. :approve:

Glasgow

Ipswich

Lakeside

Scunthorpe

Sheffield

Edinburgh

Redcar

Workington

Peterborough

Newcastle

Berwick 

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Usually people say every village has one, and then along comes number 2. :approve:

Perhaps their a double act Dave...

• Like 1

I think predictions are a bit of time filling fun and nothing to get uptight about. Remember that girly sport football? Just remember Leicester City.  :o

• Like 1