British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarRacer

Championship Predictions 2018

It looks like any 4 from 5 for me, Ipswich, Glasgow, Sheffield, Lakeside, Scunthorpe, with possibly only Workington able to get close to that 5.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, spin king said:

Okay I will go with the following;

(1) Lakeside; strong top 4 especially if they can get Newman going to something like his reputed potential, plus a technical track that a number of riders will have to ride before or for sometime I think will play into their favour.

(2) Glasgow; the team has feel of a big money team, and looks like the promotion have splash the cash and spent it wisely, but I think they will finish just short again.

(3) Ipswich; Strong looking side that will be pushing hard again, a lot will depend upon how the new German lad goes.

(4) Sheffield; Providing we can keep everybody fit I cannot see any coming to Owlerton and getting anything with that in mind I expect us to make the Play Offs yet again.

(5) Scunthorpe; A very strong team and I would have tipped them for the top 4, but there are a number of those riders that have a reputation picking up injuries.

(6) Edinburgh; Not looking so promising for the Monarchs, but you can never rule them out so we may see them squeeze through to the Play Offs, but under their present guise I don't see them making it.

(7) Workington; Solid team that will be hard to beat, but not unbeatable around their own track, will be interesting to see how young Bickley goes in his first season in the Championship.

(8) Redcar; A lot will depend on how the newcomers in the team go, but always a bit of a gamble when have more than one rider coming in on assessed averages.

(9) Peterborough; They really need Scott Nicholls, because if they are going to run the majority of their meetings on a Sunday they are going to have problems attracting big names to the club due to Poland.

(10) Newcastle; Difficult to see where they are going with the team, but losing both Worrall and Lambert add to the fact that have run meetings on a Sunday means that they will struggle to attract big riders to the club.

(11) Berwick; Not sure what is going through the minds of the Berwick promotion, finishing the bottom of the league last season keeping 4 out of the 7 of the bottom of the league team, replacing Nick Morris with Aaron Summers and bringing in an untried foreign rider on an assessed average spells disaster to me. Shame really as there is a loyal, vocal hard set of fans who deserve better.             

The truth is that Berwick find it harder and harder to compete at Premier League / Championship level each year. Occasionally they will get lucky and uncover the odd gem. They had a couple of riders lined up this season until they were gazumped. Hopefully, through time, the academy will pay dividends, but speedway doesn't do long-term.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, topsoil said:

The truth is that Berwick find it harder and harder to compete at Premier League / Championship level each year. Occasionally they will get lucky and uncover the odd gem. They had a couple of riders lined up this season until they were gazumped. Hopefully, through time, the academy will pay dividends, but speedway doesn't do long-term.

Some fair comments there,and maybe I was been a tad bit harsh with my comments, but realistic I think.

Last season Scunthorpe brought back lost of the riders that had failed the season before and it proved to be their downfall last season.

Berwick have brought back Doolan, Howe, Gappmaier and Etheridge, all similar standard riders with one of those expected fill in a heatleader role.

Really think that they would have been better going with just two of those four, three at the absolute most.

The academy that they are setting up should be applauded, and it will be fascinating to see how young Leon Flint fares at Birmingham because if he fulfils his potential Berwick would do very well to get him on a contract and maybe sell him to one of the big Elite League teams for big money.    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spin king said:

Some fair comments there,and maybe I was been a tad bit harsh with my comments, but realistic I think.

Last season Scunthorpe brought back lost of the riders that had failed the season before and it proved to be their downfall last season.

Berwick have brought back Doolan, Howe, Gappmaier and Etheridge, all similar standard riders with one of those expected fill in a heatleader role.

Really think that they would have been better going with just two of those four, three at the absolute most.

The academy that they are setting up should be applauded, and it will be fascinating to see how young Leon Flint fares at Birmingham because if he fulfils his potential Berwick would do very well to get him on a contract and maybe sell him to one of the big Elite League teams for big money.    

It looks like a year of struggle ahead, the team certainly looks weaker than those with out and out heat leaders. But you have to live within your means and I can understand the promotion not wishing to mortgage the future of the club. Hopefully they can continue the way they ended last season. I think this is what the promotion are banking on.

I really hope Leon Flint is a success. It would be a great boost the profile of the sport in the area. It would also be great to see him ride for his local club at some point. Again this would raise the profile of the club and hopefully act as an inspiration for other local youngsters to take up the sport.

• Like 1

Being on holiday for a week, with time to spare and naught to do, I've added up the precitions so far (Speedway Star style, 1st = 11 points / 11th = 1 point)

1) IPSWICH 81
2) GLASGOW 80
3) SHEFFIELD 72
4) LAKESIDE 62
5) SCUNTHORPE 61
6) EDINBURGH 45
7) REDCAR 39
8) WORKINGTON 35
9) PETERBOROUGH 26
10) NEWCASTLE 15
11) BERWICK 12

• Like 1

If workington can get Rene bach going like he was at Glasgow then I think they could be dark horses for a play off place. Bewley will add points to his average, Bickley will do well an with campton startng at reserve we should have a strong senior reserve all season. I think klint will be the difference to this being a decent team instead of a good one, really don't see what he will bring to the party on that average. 

For top spot I fancy a fight between  Ipswich and scunny, Claus vissing being the reason Glasgow will fall short. 

As I said a few weeks back Glasgow ,Sheffield and Ipswich top four again with maybe Lakeside or Edinburgh

My post from December the 8th in the Sheffield Thread.

Edited by topaz325

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Sheffield will wipe the board this season to defend their title.

That is a bold statement to make  , shall the rest of league teams pull out as it looks like you've got the title already . Injuries and luck good and bad will play there part at the end of the day. The only thing that is certain is the outcome is uncertain.

5 minutes ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

Awwwwwwww cheer up flappy, you won 2 trophies last season with an average team, you may do so again.

No chance with this lot. We had Holder (sometimes) and Harris last season 

Discounting injuries which always play a major part... I see three mini leagues in one

top 3

ipswich/Glasgow/Sheffield finishing in any order

middle pack fighting for 4th

lakeside/Scunthorpe/Edinburgh/Redcar/Workington 

bottom end fighting to avoid wooden spoon

Newcastle/Peterborough/Berwick 

For me the top 3 are the clear strongest but then thereafter that it’s a bit harder to call - at Ipswich our success hinges a little on how quickly the German lad settles and the injury returnees...

lots of people saying lakeside nailed on for top 4 - I think they have a long tail - never really rated Morley - and Ellis/Newman engine room looks somewhat inconsistent and prone to crashes/injuries - but one of the biggest Home advantage track in the league!

• Like 2