British Speedway Forum

Never have so few got it so wrong so often to the detriment of so many

• Like 2

I think the BSPA have actually made two very bold and correct decisions recently (Nicholls/Kennett and Byron Becker).

Their problem is not properly explaining their decision-making process and logic to the public.

• Like 6

Personally any decision that effectively stops British riders from riding in a British league is fundamentally wrong, especially when these riders don’t ride abroad.

it will be interesting this year to see how many Championship riders doubling up miss meetings in the UK because of riding commitments abroad.

As has been said before if they don’t want riders over 6 in the Premiership riding in the Championship then they should make the rule across the board and stop everyone over that average, the fact that they haven’t just highlights the complete inconsistencies of the BSPA.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, MattK said:

I think the BSPA have actually made two very bold and correct decisions recently (Nicholls/Kennett and Byron Becker).

Their problem is not properly explaining their decision-making process and logic to the public.

Their problem is making 'knee-jerk' decisions and not communicating them to the people it directly affects - as well as the fans.

Nothing wrong with the decisions - just wrong in the timing and implementation.

Anything affecting a rider's livelyhood should give suitable notice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Their problem is making 'knee-jerk' decisions and not communicating them to the people it directly affects - as well as the fans.

Nothing wrong with the decisions - just wrong in the timing and implementation.

Anything affecting a rider's livelyhood should give suitable notice.

Agreed

A further problem is that the SCB/ACU seem to be taking more of an interest (probably a good thing in itself) meaning that BSPA 'decisions' are being relegated to 'proposals' and subject to ratification - thus creating even more uncertainty.

27 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Personally any decision that effectively stops British riders from riding in a British league is fundamentally wrong, especially when these riders don’t ride abroad.

it will be interesting this year to see how many Championship riders doubling up miss meetings in the UK because of riding commitments abroad.

As has been said before if they don’t want riders over 6 in the Premiership riding in the Championship then they should make the rule across the board and stop everyone over that average, the fact that they haven’t just highlights the complete inconsistencies of the BSPA.

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Agreed

A further problem is that the SCB/ACU seem to be taking more of an interest (probably a good thing in itself) meaning that BSPA 'decisions' are being relegated to 'proposals' and subject to ratification - thus creating even more uncertainty.

NICHOLLS will be riding for Peterborough. As I understand it,  SCB over-ruled the BSPA.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NICHOLLS will be riding for Peterborough. As I understand it,  SCB over-ruled the BSPA.

If that's the case then it's a bad decision which is at least consistent with the awful decisions that caused the situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Byron Becker on the comeback trail? Shock..... 

I think you meant Luke!! :P

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Interesting, no doubt a full press release will be forthcoming.

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Agreed

Possibly after recent events those organisations further up the chain of command may be wondering if BSPA are fit for purpose!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Byron Becker on the comeback trail? Shock..... 

I think you meant Luke!! :P

Who's Byron Becker?

37 minutes ago, MattK said:

Who's Byron Becker?

check your previous post! :wink:

Byron is an ex Scorpion & is from South Africa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattK said:

Who's Byron Becker?

Ex Junior rider that Newcastle Speedway brought over from South Africa in the early 00's. Rode for Berwick, Buxton, Scunny, Belle Vue Colts as well before returning home and winning the state championship a number of times. Hasn't been retired that long. Has a cousin who also rode in SA.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Possibly after recent events those organisations further up the chain of command may be wondering if BSPA are fit for purpose!!!

I think they have been wondering that for a long time, but it is only in the last year they've chosen to do something about it.