British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

2018 Celebration of Speedway

The only reason i don't go and have never been to the speedway museum is that i would never visit a zoo or a wildlife park.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hot Shoe said:

The only reason i don't go and have never been to the speedway museum is that i would never visit a zoo or a wildlife park.

Unfortunately until the human race discontinues to decimate the natural world and ivory, for example (whatever the date it was exploited) is totally banned and deemed worthless, there will be a continual need for animals to be held within some sort of controlled environment...whether it zoos, wildlife parks and reservations otherwise we will continue to see the gradual (albeit increasing) extinction of many species.

I grew up when zoos were less than satisfactory (concrete pens with bars) but things have moved on dramatically and there are some superb collections where conservation programmes are the norm.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Unfortunately until the human race discontinues to decimate the natural world and ivory, for example (whatever the date it was exploited) is totally banned and deemed worthless, there will be a continual need for animals to be held within some sort of controlled environment...whether it zoos, wildlife parks and reservations otherwise we will continue to see the gradual (albeit increasing) extinction of many species.

I grew up when zoos were less than satisfactory (concrete pens with bars) but things have moved on dramatically and there are some superb collections where conservation programmes are the norm.

Collections? That says it all for me.

Yes zoos have improved massively but they are still places i choose not to visit and certainly wouldn't want to contribute to money wise. If species become extinct then so be it. As someone said once 'a day with the sun on you back is worth more than a lifetime held in captivity' and i won't disagree with that.

15 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

Yes zoos have improved massively but they are still places i choose not to visit and certainly wouldn't want to contribute to money wise. If species become extinct then so be it. As someone said once 'a day with the sun on you back is worth more than a lifetime held in captivity' and i won't disagree with that.

...thru the actions of mankind. Evolution is one thing but the destruction of their natural habitat is quite another. 

23 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...thru the actions of mankind. Evolution is one thing but the destruction of their natural habitat is quite another. 

Yes i totally agree but putting animals behind bars is not the solution. I think also that a lot of the so called 'breeding programmes' are just a way for zoos to try justify their existence because they realise that public opinion is changing on animals being kept in carptivity. Hopefully the day won't be far away when zoos become extinct.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

I'm sure the helpless one day old baby of some species is happy with the sun on its back before being eaten alive by a Lion, Tiger, Leopard etc. etc. in the wild. 

• Like 1

No problems with Zoo's but I think £10 is too much for such an event.

Adding my 2p's worth the Speedway Museum is defo worth a visit.  Been a few years since I last went but seem to recall admission to the Paradise Wildlife Park was £16-ish or so with free entry to the speedway bit included, so £10 is a bit of a saving.  We took in all the zoo but spent 75% of our timr in the speedway museum....

The Speedway Museum and the stalls, displays of bikes etc. are totally separate from the Wildlife Park. You can choose not to visit the animal enclosures if you so wish but still make use of the facilities, restaurant etc. The car parking is free.

The speedway activities and the museum are still good value at £10.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marko said:

No problems with Zoo's but I think £10 is too much for such an event.

Yep agree. It'll be the same old same old from all the previous years - which used to be free, then donation, then £5 last year & now £10 this year. 

2 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

The speedway activities and the museum are still good value at £10.

I agree i think £10 is good value.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

I agree i think £10 is good value.

fully agree - usual story though why complain if anyone doesn't like it then simply   don't go .

• Like 2

What a shame, I find myself in the UK and only about 5 miles from paradise park. Unfortunately I have to visit my father in hospital tomorrow but was hoping to get back in time to take some of this in only to find that it closes at 4pm !!

A celebration that only goes on for 6 hours. Not much of a party ? 

An excellent day out. I was far too busy enjoying meeting people to worrying about costs and the rights and wrongs of zoos and lesser animal collections. Life's too short to deny yourself a good day out over irrelevancies. I stayed out of the wildlife area - I was there for speedway. 

• Like 2