British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

2018 Celebration of Speedway

What a excellent day out ,congrats to the organisers what was especially enjoyable was seeing so many riders from the past looking so well.

• Like 2

Good day yesterday – excellent turn-out and so many familiar faces.

One thing, though.  What’s gone wrong with speedway, when more people will turn up for a celebration of speedway’s past, than an actual speedway meeting with the sport’s current stars? Yesterday’s attendance will put most meetings this year to shame. 

• Like 2

For those that were unable to attend, here is some footage taken at the event including many interview with past and present riders and management etc.

Brought to you by T2TV Media & Speedway Portal

Apologies for the large embed

Edited by HagueyUK
  • Like 3

Well Done Haguey.. great footage nicely put together there!

Dave, (and others)  re your comments on this year's Celebration of Speedway.   Yes, the admission previously was £5 for the Speedway exhibition but fans could still wander round the excellent Wildlife Park too. There was a problem when non-Speedway people were visiting the Park and paying the full price of £15-£17  and when they found out that Speedway folk were getting in for £5 they were most upset as you can imagine and caused the staff a lot of grief.  This year, the WSRA and the Wildlife Park agreed that we set a £10 entry fee across the board so that the regular Park visitors were not upset and that the  entry money would be split between the WSRA and the Park. 

Despite what a few folk may think, the Speedway Museum is NOT a money-maker for Paradise Wildlife Park. On the contrary, the Museum costs the Park a lot of money subsidizing it throughout the year and without Peter Sampson and his family, there would be no Speedway Museum.  The Museum, the Events Marque and the outdoor displays were packed all day  but we don't get those numbers for Speedway every week!

Yes, it would have been good to have something at High Beech but the Celebration is such a lot of hard work for the WSRA volunteers and the Park staff that it was physically impossible although I believe that Terry Stone had something at High Beech on the 19th February.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, Hot Shoe said:

The only reason i don't go and have never been to the speedway museum is that i would never visit a zoo or a wildlife park.

The animals at Paradise Wildlife Park are all very well looked after and loved by the staff and at least the animals don't have to worry about poachers or being eaten by another predator. As some one else said in a post, you can visit the Speedway Museum without having to ago round the Wildlife Park but you would miss seeing some beautiful lions, tigers, snow leopards, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 11:02 PM, Haggis said:

The animals at Paradise Wildlife Park are all very well looked after and loved by the staff and at least the animals don't have to worry about poachers or being eaten by another predator. As some one else said in a post, you can visit the Speedway Museum without having to ago round the Wildlife Park but you would miss seeing some beautiful lions, tigers, snow leopards, etc.

It's simply down to personal choice and our views on zoos and safari parks obviously differ but i would like nothing at all to do with either them and i I certainly wouldn't miss seeing beautiful animals held in captivity.

• Like 1