British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

electric speedway bike . WHEN?

just when will this sport turn to the electric speedway bike to continue the sport in the uk ?

it will become a plug n play sport , like it or not . 

no more warming bikes up , changing carbs/fuel . changing oil .

emissions will be zero, noise will be a bonus when it comes to running the sport next to a housing/built up area .

plug in yer laptop , charge her up and off you go .

everybody on the same gear .no more fancy carbs /clutches and a million oil changes .

think of the planet 

they have mx bikes and i think they run an electric race in the T.T. 

its coming , so get ready for it . 

any thoughts people .

ohh , by the way the electric mx times v fuel  bike time ! 

the electric was quicker in the tests .

yes , you can slide em . 

Edited by jenga
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jenga said:

just when will this sport turn to the electric speedway bike to continue the sport in the uk ?

it will become a plug n play sport , like it or not . 

no more warming bikes up , changing carbs/fuel . changing oil .

emissions will be zero, noise will be a bonus when it comes to running the sport next to a housing/built up area .

plug in yer laptop , charge her up and off you go .

everybody on the same gear .no more fancy carbs /clutches and a million oil changes .

think of the planet 

they have mx bikes and i think they run an electric race in the T.T. 

its coming , so get ready for it . 

any thoughts people .

ohh , by the way the electric mx times v fuel  bike time ! 

the electric was quicker in the tests .

yes , you can slide em . 

I have seen photographs and videos of electric bikes, both here and in Germany, they would certainly solve many problems regarding noise and would be ideal for indoor meetings. When I've mentioned them on here in the past the idea was dismissed by those who claim the sound is too important but I think it would allow running race commentaries, which might actually add to the interest and excitement.

the sound of the internal combustion engine and will take away some of the buzz you get from it.but in the future all motorsport will be run on sparks .noise . smell and certain things will be missed . if it comes , then we have to live with it .

I have to admit the technology is out there, the future of most things is electric and it certainly on the face of things looks feasible. Obviously riding characteristics would differ and there are plenty of development questions such as battery life, over heating,  etc but not impossible. 

Obviously there would be plenty holding it back as many of the current suppliers would lose all trade but there is plenty for it going forward. As for when? Thats a tougher question. Im guessing somebody independent will need to buy a couple of new electric mx bikes then break them down and fit to an adapted speedway frame and see how the prototypes go? Big gamble for a niche market though as im not sure what the noise/ housing issues are like in other countries around the world?

1 hour ago, jenga said:

the sound of the internal combustion engine and will take away some of the buzz you get from it.but in the future all motorsport will be run on sparks .noise . smell and certain things will be missed . if it comes , then we have to live with it .

Just need some-one to do some 'sounds' tapes to play during the races,,,, and then find a firm to come up with 'Speedway air freshener',,, job done...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Just need some-one to do some 'sounds' tapes to play during the races,,,, and then find a firm to come up with 'Speedway air freshener',,, job done...

Just pop round the pits before a meeting for the sounds, riders love doing bike impressions. "I wanted it to be like brrrrruuuuhhhh but it was more like wrrraaaaaaah" 

18 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just pop round the pits before a meeting for the sounds, riders love doing bike impressions. "I wanted it to be like brrrrruuuuhhhh but it was more like wrrraaaaaaah" 

Good idea,,, get a recording of every rider and, when their racing use their sound,,, yes 4 at once !!!

it might need a wizz on the decks to do it tho, which might be a problem :(

You might even get some ningningnings :t:

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

throttle control is no difference to the toy racing cars you had when you were a kid . 

just think how may races/seasons you would get out of an engine .( bad for Ash tech )

back in the steam train days , who would have thought there would be electric trains .

interesting subject , but it will be a pressure move from an outside sources that bring the move to lecy speedway bikes ENTER VATCHERS LAWS... LOL

If they ever proposed electric bikes and the sport was still going, it would only work in my view if the tracks had four grooves carved into them.  Those who went too fast would crash out but could if fit remount into their groove.  Call it speedextric.

Edited by SPEEDY69
grammar error

If it turns out to be as boring as Formular E for racing cars the sport would die in less than one season, also the noise is part of the sport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adonis said:

Egon Muller had an electric bike , about 5 years ago ,  the only reason they would be any use to speedway is the lack of noise , electric vehicles are actually bigger polluters than petrol , but the Gov't thinks they are doing the green thing by forcing their use , nothing could be further from the truth , 

With more and more wind and wave power and the remote location of some of the current fossil fuel power stations, that is a changing picture. The concentration of internal combustion vehicle fumes in highly populated areas such as valley bottoms and town centres is a very big contributer to respiratery diseases and death rates. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/04/car-fumes-air-pollution-ban-motorists

Edited by foamfence

Definitely an interesting subject and could certainly spawn many more debates such as club bikes / pool of bikes etc. Seen quoted figures of 20 x 1 minute races for high end moto x so even if ratio's were fiddled with, bikes ridden flat out non stop it is easily conceivable that 10 speedway races could be achieved per charge. I also guess they could be charged via a generator so there are no excuses for any riders heading to Stoke :D

The riders excuses would change a bit though. "My best engine is still at the tuners" would change to "My partner unplugged my bike to charge their iphone"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, foamfence said:

With more and more wind and wave power and the remote location of some of the current fossil fuel power stations, that is a changing picture. The concentration of internal combustion vehicle fumes in highly populated areas such as valley bottoms and town centres is a very big contributer to respiratery diseases and death rates. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/04/car-fumes-air-pollution-ban-motorists

Actually a very interesting point. With the addition of so many wind farms popping up everywhere what about the possibility of dual usage of the land? Given the gaps between these monsters surely a speedway track could be squeezed into one of these wind farms? (Obviously not the ones at sea). If teamed with electric bikes and electric bus/train/tram/monorail from the car park to the stadium it could be a giant leap into the future?