British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Ivan Mauger 1972 unreal.!!!

47 minutes ago, norbold said:

Going back to 1947.....Vic Duggan won 85 out of 96 races in the National League plus nine second places, recording an average of 11.46. He also won 23 out of 24 races in the London Cup and National Trophy. 12 wins out of 18 in Test matches, scoring a paid 47 out a possible 54. He won the London Riders' Championship with a 15 point maximum. This latter was the climax to a five week period to the end of May when he scored 254 out of a possible 261. This period was followed by winning 55 races out of 59 in June. He also took the Match Race title from the Match Race king, Jack Parker (he of Parker's Pension), successfully defended it against Bill Kitchen before relinquishing it unbeaten. In addition to all of this, he qualified for the British Riders' Championship final with a maximum 60 out of 60 points.

It was an incredible year, marred sadly only by his failure to win the British Riders' Championship, falling in his fourth ride and not taking part in his fifth.

Great post interesting reading, does Duggan often get forgotten norbold? going back to Ivan does that 11.74 average still stand ? i thought someone said it was changed in later years because of a tape exclusion.If so would HANS have the top figure.? Mauger again his 1973/77 spell at Exeter was terrific posting two  averages. well over 11 and his lowest average was only 10.50!!! 

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Great post interesting reading, does Duggan often get forgotten norbold? going back to Ivan does that 11.74 average still stand ? i thought someone said it was changed in later years because of a tape exclusion.If so would HANS have the top figure.? Mauger again his 1973/77 spell at Exeter was terrific posting two  averages. well over 11 and his lowest average was only 10.50!!! 

Hans must be top, in 85 or 86, when he scored that remarkable 12.00 average away from home. When you rode against Oxford in those days, it was as much about whether or not anyone could beat Hans as it was against actually winning.

I think Jimmy Nilsen beat him a few times if memory serves me correct. Plus, of course, Carl Blackbird!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Hans must be top, in 85 or 86, when he scored that remarkable 12.00 average away from home. When you rode against Oxford in those days, it was as much about whether or not anyone could beat Hans as it was against actually winning.

I think Jimmy Nilsen beat him a few times if memory serves me correct. Plus, of course, Carl Blackbird!

I can remember Blackbird beating him Knudsen and Erik both had good head to head records against Hans also Doncaster, Nilsen ,S.Moran P.Thorp,  beat him.But as you said for a couple of seasons in the league he hardly dropped a point unbelievable and in my view actually helped the ex robin Per Sorensen and Martin Dugard  become  better riders NEILSEN 1986 figure 11.57.??

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I can remember Blackbird beating him Knudsen and Erik both had good head to head records against Hans also Doncaster, Nilsen ,S.Moran P.Thorp,  beat him.But as you said for a couple of seasons in the league he hardly dropped a point unbelievable and in my view actually helped the ex robin Per Sorensen and Martin Dugard  become  better riders NEILSEN 1986 figure 11.57.??

...as usual, Sid, another good thread with lots of memories!

1972 was my 1st season Mauger was a God.The Belle vue team of that year was I m o the best I have seen to date only lost 2 and drew 1 away all season.What an introduction to the sport I was hooked then and still am today.45 season later and in my mind 1972 has never been bettered the memories of that season will be with me for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...as usual, Sid, another good thread with lots of memories!

Been told at home Steve endless times that i  am a Dinosaur and that Barry Briggs and Stanley Matthews have both now retired.!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

1972 was my 1st season Mauger was a God.The Belle vue team of that year was I m o the best I have seen to date only lost 2 and drew 1 away all season.What an introduction to the sport I was hooked then and still am today.45 season later and in my mind 1972 has never been bettered the memories of that season will be with me for the rest of my life.

I would say the Vue 72 side just had the edge on the Cradley 83 side both great sides.It just makes you wonder if the late great Dent Oliver had not have passed on how much more silverwear would the Vue have won.He produced a conveyor belt of talent for his club over a period.

48 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would say the Vue 72 side just had the edge on the Cradley 83 side both great sides.It just makes you wonder if the late great Dent Oliver had not have passed on how much more silverwear would the Vue have won.He produced a conveyor belt of talent for his club over a period.

How could I have not included the late great Dent Oliver in my post shame on me.

Yes that's one of the reasons I think the 72 team was one of the greats because 5 of  team were home grown talent plus Sjosten who was as good as.All down to Dent Oliver.

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

How could I have not included the late great Dent Oliver in my post shame on me.

Yes that's one of the reasons I think the 72 team was one of the greats because 5 of  team were home grown talent plus Sjosten who was as good as.All down to Dent Oliver.

Would they allow training schools on a Saturday  now BV,  ?          with     health and safety and noise issues i doubt it that is one of the reasons young riders are not coming through now  not anough track time.With the old second halves quite a few novices come through the system reached there level now most of the talent  are Moto cross and grass riders be great to have tracks open to all classes bikes to rent and who knows who might come through a pipe dream i know.

The famous Belle Vue training schools were on Monday nights at Hyde Road.

Bizarre really that the in those days the league meeting went on prime Saturday evening and the training school on a dead Monday. Whereas today the team has to race on in the Monday graveyard.

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Would they allow training schools on a Saturday  now BV,  ?          with     health and safety and noise issues i doubt it that is one of the reasons young riders are not coming through now  not anough track time.With the old second halves quite a few novices come through the system reached there level now most of the talent  are Moto cross and grass riders be great to have tracks open to all classes bikes to rent and who knows who might come through a pipe dream i know.

You never know Sid,   the NSS was just a pipe dream as far as plenty were concerned, there was originally talk of training schools being operated.  In an ideal world it would be a fantastic way of welcoming Chris Morton back into the fold, all those years of experience and track-craft would be put to the best possible use and Chris would be where he belongs in some capacity.

3 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

The famous Belle Vue training schools were on Monday nights at Hyde Road.

Bizarre really that the in those days the league meeting went on prime Saturday evening and the training school on a dead Monday. Whereas today the team has to race on in the Monday graveyard.

They were held throughout the close season on Saturday mornings/afternoons, saved on floodlight costs I suppose.

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Been told at home Steve endless times that i  am a Dinosaur and that Barry Briggs and Stanley Matthews have both now retired.!!!!

...nowt wrong with that!

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would agree the Belle Vue side of 1972 were exceptional and I well remember the time they came to Cowley and thumped us!

5 hours ago, nw42 said:

You never know Sid,   the NSS was just a pipe dream as far as plenty were concerned, there was originally talk of training schools being operated.  In an ideal world it would be a fantastic way of welcoming Chris Morton back into the fold, all those years of experience and track-craft would be put to the best possible use and Chris would be where he belongs in some capacity.

You are the only one on all threads who have actually said give Chris a chance to comeback in some capacity.Myself i would love it if the sport would get Chris get involved again i would  encourage that tomorrow but it won't happen.