British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Ivan Mauger 1972 unreal.!!!

16 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I was chuffed that I was able to see him ride during his last full season. 14 points at Poole I recall.

What i thought was amazing was that the three great Kiwi's all got on well together and  all have total respect for each other great stuff.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What i thought was amazing was that the three great Kiwi's all got on well together and  all have total respect for each other great stuff.

Very true Sid, and it is to Maugers credit than he acknowledged that if it wasn't for Mirac and Briggo , who were a few years older , Ivan himself doesn't think he would have got where he did. I don't suppose we'll ever see the like of them again.

38 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I was chuffed that I was able to see him ride during his last full season. 14 points at Poole I recall.

Ronnie made team riding an art form.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Very true Sid, and it is to Maugers credit than he acknowledged that if it wasn't for Mirac and Briggo , who were a few years older , Ivan himself doesn't think he would have got where he did. I don't suppose we'll ever see the like of them again.

To think Addio he had a six year lay off from Britain  from 1963 ( only aged 30 maybe entering his peak? ) to 1969 .Could he have won more titles who knows he was in two tough eras  the 50s and the 60s i think the likes of Ronnie and Bjorn Knutsson often go unheralded both GREAT riders people like Norbold ( etc) will back that up.Perssonally  i only see Ronnie ride five times but I remember him  as a rider who rode  great  racing lines the Wimbledon DVD shows that showing Ronnie beating Ivan at Plough lane poetry in motion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

To think Addio he had a six year lay off from Britain  from 1963 ( only aged 30 maybe entering his peak? ) to 1969 .Could he have won more titles who knows he was in two tough eras  the 50s and the 60s i think the likes of Ronnie and Bjorn Knutsson often go unheralded both GREAT riders people like Norbold ( etc) will back that up.Perssonally  i only see Ronnie ride five times but I remember him  as a rider who rode  great  racing lines the Wimbledon DVD shows that showing Ronnie beating Ivan at Plough lane poetry in motion.

I think we speak the same language sid. I agree with all of that.

Maugers win in '72 is one of speedways great "what ifs" . What if Briggo, who had already beaten Mauger in his first ride had not been taken off by Perrson, would he have gone on to be world champion ? What if Olsen had settled for a safe second in his first ride and not fallen off chasing Loftqvist ? He won his last four rides, including beating Mauger, and would have been World Champion unless  Briggo could have stopped him.

Could we have seen Briggo with five world titles  and Mauger only five?

Personally, I think luck was with Mauger in the 72 final although against him in 73. 

In 1972 Bernie came 9th in the European qualifier and only 8 qualified, the top 8 seem to be in the final so why was Bernie in the 16 rather than a reserve? Any ideas anyone, I've probably missed something obvious

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I think we speak the same language sid. I agree with all of that.

Maugers win in '72 is one of speedways great "what ifs" . What if Briggo, who had already beaten Mauger in his first ride had not been taken off by Perrson, would he have gone on to be world champion ? What if Olsen had settled for a safe second in his first ride and not fallen off chasing Loftqvist ? He won his last four rides, including beating Mauger, and would have been World Champion unless  Briggo could have stopped him.

Could we have seen Briggo with five world titles  and Mauger only five?

Personally, I think luck was with Mauger in the 72 final although against him in 73. 

I often thought  Barry had slipped a bit in 72 his figures were still good but the odd slip up here and there and i know he had a couple of years with niggly aquipment issues which did not help.But the final in 72 if Olsen was unbeaten before meeting him who knows if Briggs had beat Persson  and after Olsen had fell  i am convinced Briggo could of won on 14 pts all hyphathetical i know still wrangles me even now.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I often thought  Barry had slipped a bit in 72 his figures were still good but the odd slip up here and there and i know he had a couple of years with niggly aquipment issues which did not help.But the final in 72 if Olsen was unbeaten before meeting him who knows if Briggs had beat Persson  and after Olsen had fell  i am convinced Briggo could of won on 14 pts all hyphathetical i know still wrangles me even now.

Yes, once again I totally agree Sid. Briggo was my boyhood hero and I really wanted him to win in 72. Briggo was 37 years old by then and his days at the top were numbered. I thought it would be a fitting end to his world class career if he went went out as World Champion, whereas Mauger and Olsen still had several years left at the top.

Briggo was an up and down sort of rider. Whereas Mauger was like a machine and could turn it on all the time Briggo was a bit more temperamental but when he had his head in the right place I don't think there was anyone bar Fundin, that could stop him. He certainly had his head in the right place in the 72 Final and even had some special lightweight leathers made to reduce unnecessary weight. Such a pity about his crash. I think Barry would have finished either first or second otherwise. A truly great great rider.

As for Ronnie Moore I only saw him at the tail end of his career but what a great stylist he was. Many fans say he was the most naturally talented rider ever to sit on a Speedwáy bike. If he had not had that enforced retirement through injury from 63 - 69 it is more than possible he could have picked up a third World crown. 

6 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Yes, once again I totally agree Sid. Briggo was my boyhood hero and I really wanted him to win in 72. Briggo was 37 years old by then and his days at the top were numbered. I thought it would be a fitting end to his world class career if he went went out as World Champion, whereas Mauger and Olsen still had several years left at the top.

Briggo was an up and down sort of rider. Whereas Mauger was like a machine and could turn it on all the time Briggo was a bit more temperamental but when he had his head in the right place I don't think there was anyone bar Fundin, that could stop him. He certainly had his head in the right place in the 72 Final and even had some special lightweight leathers made to reduce unnecessary weight. Such a pity about his crash. I think Barry would have finished either first or second otherwise. A truly great great rider.

As for Ronnie Moore I only saw him at the tail end of his career but what a great stylist he was. Many fans say he was the most naturally talented rider ever to sit on a Speedwáy bike. If he had not had that enforced retirement through injury from 63 - 69 it is more than possible he could have picked up a third World crown. 

I think Briggs's longevity was his real success      18 world finals.       -     Fundin ( 15).   ( Mauger ) (14) that tells you something. With   4 title wins,     3  runner up spots, and       3.  third place finishes  also he finished fourth place twice a hell of a record.You would say Fundin just outdid him no disgrace in that as Ove was a GREAT maybe the best ? be great to get a head to head record of Ove v Barry   Fundin wins but  as you say Briggs was unlucky not to win title number 5.