British Speedway Forum

The Go Speed International website (gospeed.co.uk) and email server is currently down. The domain is far from expiry so it does appear that the sites have been taken offline intentionally. With no TV deal announced so far and promoters hinting that one will not be found... has Go Speed ceased trading? Is this the end of any hope of a TV deal?

1 minute ago, toontrader said:

maybe they are updating it with some important news

You don't take a website and email server down to do an update!

GO Speed (Terry Russell) no longer involved with TV negotiations going forward but deal for 2018 has already been done, although a small number of promoters are still bitching about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GO Speed (Terry Russell) no longer involved with TV negotiations going forward but deal for 2018 has already been done, although a small number of promoters are still bitching about it.

Out of interest, what is it they are bitching about? Is it likely to affect the deal?

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEY don't want TV ... believe it affects their attendances. Utter nonsense. Neither BT nor SKY are desperate to cover domestic speedway and if the door were to close it is hard to see it opening again.

I agree, it's nonsense, although I think all they are seeing is low attendance on covered meetings sometimes. However, it has been shown several times, that if a meeting is promoted properly then you will get a good crowd at a televised meeting.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEY don't want TV ... believe it affects their attendances. Utter nonsense. Neither BT nor SKY are desperate to cover domestic speedway and if the door were to close it is hard to see it opening again.

Is this a symptom of fixed race nights causing more clashes with televised meetins?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I agree, it's nonsense, although I think all they are seeing is low attendance on covered meetings sometimes. However, it has been shown several times, that if a meeting is promoted properly then you will get a good crowd at a televised meeting.

I thought that what has been shown is that you can get a good crowd if it is promoted properly at a much reduced admission fee. That doesn't mean that it is as profitable or less loss making than a meeting not on TV.

I certainly think the overall benefits of a TV deal will outweigh not having one. However, I do think that with fixed nights it will have an effect on attendances not just at the televised meeting but also other meetings held that same night. The unknown factor is how much of an effect it will have.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

Is this a symptom of fixed race nights causing more clashes with televised meetins?

DONT think so

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Quest seem to be developing an interest in sport why doesn't someone approach them with a highlights package

Being on tv may not have affected crowd levels in general, but no one really knows for sure.  What is sure though is they certainly haven't gone up since being on tv.  I know of a few people that don't go as much now as they can watch it on tv.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

Quest seem to be developing an interest in sport why doesn't someone approach them with a highlights package

I think they be owned by the same people that own eurosport. Maybe itv 4 could show it if offered a free highlights package.

3 minutes ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

Being on tv may not have affected crowd levels in general, but no one really knows for sure.  What is sure though is they certainly haven't gone up since being on tv.  I know of a few people that don't go as much now as they can watch it on tv.  

CAN think of countless reasons why crowds have gone down, notably lack of regular fixtures, never quite sure who will be riding for your team on any given day, lack of promotion, but don't see TV as one of them.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CAN think of countless reasons why crowds have gone down, notably lack of regular fixtures, never quite sure who will be riding for your team on any given day, lack of promotion, but don't see TV as one of them.

I think you are absolutely right.

But if I were in some promoters shoes, with my own money on the line i would FEEL quite a bit different and I would be 'bitching' like mad i would imagine.

The prospect of running many meetings on (say) graveyard-Monday against TV Speedway elsewhere or (worse still) at my track with no adequate guaranteed compensation if it is unprofitable would give me the real colly wobbles.

And all the (correct) talk of the greater good, sponsorship opportunities etc etc would do very little to ease my night's sleep.

But then I am not a Promoter.

And nor are most of those here who are deriding those poor buggers (whose gonads are on the line) who have misgivings.

• Like 4