British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEY don't want TV ... believe it affects their attendances. Utter nonsense. Neither BT nor SKY are desperate to cover domestic speedway and if the door were to close it is hard to see it opening again.

Ok, so what about printing attendance figures for each match and then comparing them with when tv is in attendance.

That would prove or disprove that theory straight away.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

I think they be owned by the same people that own eurosport. Maybe itv 4 could show it if offered a free highlights package.

I think it was last year or possibly 2016 when Quest showed a Speedway GP instead of the usual channel 

22 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Ok, so what about printing attendance figures for each match and then comparing them with when tv is in attendance.

That would prove or disprove that theory straight away.

IT'S not about when TV are there. Workington claim that they lost 300 fans last year because of speedway on TV. Work that one out.

2 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

I think it was last year or possibly 2016 when Quest showed a Speedway GP instead of the usual channel 

MIGHT have been a year earlier ... was on Quest when Eurosport (same ownership) wasn't available. 

20 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S not about when TV are there. Workington claim that they lost 300 fans last year because of speedway on TV. Work that one out.

Well ... The trouble is they MAY have a point.

If I look through my own diary from the last few years then my speedway attending does seem to vary quite bit along with the TV schedules (as it does for GP and SWC attending). Much more than I thought before checking back on the true data. 

Fewer meetings attending in the couple of weeks after the SWC , most often after a GP Saturday it is Monday on TV rather than live attending that week and there is no doubt I went to more meetings before June last year and fewer whenev the BT regular Monday's started.

In addition, I have avoided going to ANY league match that is being televised for years and years.

And I have hardly attending any league meetings on a Saturdays, largely due to TV on alternate weeks.

It is quite plausible that some people may forgoe a night at Derwent Park to watch a GP from (say) Poland on the same night combined with a league match from Belle Vue on the following Monday. I would!

Edited by Grand Central

20 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MIGHT have been a year earlier ... was on Quest when Eurosport (same ownership) wasn't available. 

Just checked tv box, you are right the full meeting was in 2015, in 2016 quest showed a couple of GP meetings, but highlights only.  It is good being able to go back and watch them years after they happened. 

2 hours ago, MattK said:

Is this a symptom of fixed race nights causing more clashes with televised meetins?

I think you may be right and I did comment on this when a fixed night was muted, will many stay at home and watch a meeting if their normal team is at home but against a not very good team or the weather is iffy.  

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Workington are a Saturday night track. Looks like 300 stayed at home and watched GP instead of going to a live meeting.

I think many promoters are wary about running against a GP.

How the mighty fall. Speedway fans not long ago bitching about SKY walking away, saying "BT offered better pictures anyway," and "SKY wasn't such a big loss." Now BT seem a little shy on speedway, so let's go to Quest! Desperado situation.  At this rate, we'll actually see more people trackside than actually watching live at home on... err.. Quest. What next... Gospel TV?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

When SKY started covering live matches 20 years ago, it was a sport that still had some life in it. SKY could see it had potential. I guess their belief in the sport went the way of so many fans we remember that filled the terraces all those years ago. Rained-off matches when the cameras were all set up must have worn them a little. Meanwhile, BT have found there's not enough meat on the bone to get its fingers messy on. It has gone all pear shape and we're close to the actual stalk. Another winter of fresh promises, another time of us edging nearer toward yet another new dawn of speedway's life-saving fresh start that we were promised only months ago. How many look forward to a new season? Unlike times now long gone, when close seasons were hard to cope without speedway, all the optimism of a new year of speedway is eroded in the winter months that we should be freshening ourselves up in preparation for. Promoters (and they really should stop calling themselves that) huddled their collective brain-power together to re-invent the sport they re-invented only last year, and we're left with... Never mind, they might sort it out next winter. 

Thank god for the Speedway Star winter articles on the old days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adonis said:

so much TV money in the past has wound up in terry russells bank account , now he's off and away with it , instead of it being ploughed back into speedway where we should be reaping the benefits and having a sport that TV companies want to pay for .. 

They seemed a lot happier paying for it when Terry was involved. People can comment all they like about Terry Russell, but when he was negotiating TV deals there was regular speedway on the box from the start of the season to the finish and very few doubts about whether or not there would be.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, adonis said:

so much TV money in the past has wound up in terry russells bank account , now he's off and away with it , instead of it being ploughed back into speedway where we should be reaping the benefits and having a sport that TV companies want to pay for .. 

I'd imagine that a very high percentage of that was used to keep Swindon afloat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattK said:

I'd imagine that a very high percentage of that was used to keep Swindon afloat.

That's what I can't understand... clubs having to be kept afloat with money that isn't always guaranteed, and yet they're planning a brand new stadium for a sport that is trying to keep itself afloat, on a club that has apparently had to have money injected into it. Then there's Belle Vue's new stadium, which has new seats that I bet haven't even had bums parked in them since its arrival. I mean, Swindon showing us pictures of what their new gaff will be like when it's built seems a bit unrealistic for someone, those of us, who have stepped back and can give an honest view of what speedway is really like as a modern day attraction. I heard though it was a toss-up between a new stadium or new video rental store.

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

That's what I can't understand... clubs having to be kept afloat with money that isn't always guaranteed, and yet they're planning a brand new stadium for a sport that is trying to keep itself afloat, on a club that has apparently had to have money injected into it. Then there's Belle Vue's new stadium, which has new seats that I bet haven't even had bums parked in them since its arrival. I mean, Swindon showing us pictures of what their new gaff will be like when it's built seems a bit unrealistic for someone, those of us, who have stepped back and can give an honest view of what speedway is really like as a modern day attraction. I heard though it was a toss-up between a new stadium or new video rental store.

They have no intention of building a new stadium in Swindon, it was merely a ploy to get planning permission for houses.

• Like 2

Just now, MattK said:

They have no intention of building a new stadium in Swindon, it was merely a ploy to get planning permission for houses.

You old cynic! What about the video shop?