British Speedway Forum

mea culpa

Clearly I am totally in the wrong.

My view was born of spending my entire working life either eating before or after work and paying myself for all my meals and snaks whilst at work.
Even when I workied unusal shifts.>

This is a very different world, clearly.

Can I suggest that we all club together to support a 'fighting fund' for those poor deprived souls who worked for BTSport in 2017.
Now I understand their plight of being denied catering facilities I empathise with their cruel and unusual working conditions much more keenly.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

mea culpa

Clearly I am totally in the wrong.

My view was born of spending my entire working life either eating before or after work and paying myself for all my meals and snaks whilst at work.
Even when I workied unusal shifts.>

This is a very different world, clearly.

Can I suggest that we all club together to support a 'fighting fund' for those poor deprived souls who worked for BTSport in 2017.
Now I understand their plight of being denied catering facilities I empathise with their cruel and unusual working conditions much more keenly.

As I said, it doesn't work as simply as when you work in an office and have plenty of time. Imagine at 12.30 you have an issue with the lining up of a graphic, you ask for the graphic guy but he's just gone for his lunch. So you wait an hour for him to return, then he gets back at 1.30 but the cameraman whos camera you need to line up for the graphics has now gone for his lunch. 2.15 comes and he's back, yay but now the vision mixer has gone for her lunch so you now have to wait until 3pm for her to come back to fix the issue. The problem you had at 12.30 still isn't fixed until 3pm but had they all been sat at their desk eating a site supplied meal then that probably would have been fixed by 12.45.

Its not like most jobs where you ring the client and say, "sorry, everything is delayed a few hours, the project will be with you tomorrow instead", TV is happening at whatever time you're going to air. When it comes to live TV you can cut all the corners you like but it will tell, very easily and very quickly!

19 minutes ago, SCB said:

As I said, it doesn't work as simply as when you work in an office and have plenty of time. Imagine at 12.30 you have an issue with the lining up of a graphic, you ask for the graphic guy but he's just gone for his lunch. So you wait an hour for him to return, then he gets back at 1.30 but the cameraman whos camera you need to line up for the graphics has now gone for his lunch. 2.15 comes and he's back, yay but now the vision mixer has gone for her lunch so you now have to wait until 3pm for her to come back to fix the issue. The problem you had at 12.30 still isn't fixed until 3pm but had they all been sat at their desk eating a site supplied meal then that probably would have been fixed by 12.45.

Its not like most jobs where you ring the client and say, "sorry, everything is delayed a few hours, the project will be with you tomorrow instead", TV is happening at whatever time you're going to air. When it comes to live TV you can cut all the corners you like but it will tell, very easily and very quickly!

Quite agree with everything. It is not your normal firms eating habits where some can go missing on an early lunch, followed by those on a later lunch. A job such as a TV programme, an open concert, a horse racing meeting,  outside broadcast for a important news item, etc, is dynamic and can only be completed when the workforce needs to be on call, hence a standard chuck wagon on site which is available to all. For the same reason for keeping in contact just in case, the workforce often have  walkie talkies if the site is on various activities spread out and out of sight.

Why not have the chuck wagon but make the staff pay for their food? Most people don't expect their employer to feed them for free.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCB said:

£30 a head for two meals plus snacks? It’s hardly expensive is it? If you took everyone to the local pub for a meal it’d probably cost more.

Don’t forget that the crew won’t all turn up at 7.30! They’ll have been there all day setting up. I work every two months on an off-site broadcast for BBC Wales (very question time-ish) and the crew are there form anything between 8-10am for a 10pm record time. I don’t think providing two meals, snacks and all the tea/coffee we can drink is bad going for £30 a person!

Also note that when sky turned up there were two vehicles, one preparing, cooking and serving the food and a second with seats and tables for them to use as a canteen. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

You also need to serve up competitive and decent racing and let’s be fair most of what was served up last year just didn’t cut it.

Borefests, riders struggling on difficult tracks and racing being shown in front of one man and his dog does nothing to promote the sport at all. 

Thats what i said in my post. The product has to be there..

13 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

You also need to serve up competitive and decent racing and let’s be fair most of what was served up last year just didn’t cut it.

Borefests, riders struggling on difficult tracks and racing being shown in front of one man and his dog does nothing to promote the sport at all. 

You do realise you're not allowed to hold opinions such as this; those who must be obeyed are in denial.

7 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

You do realise you're not allowed to hold opinions such as this; those who must be obeyed are in denial.

Nobody is living in denial with regards to tv meets being shown in front of sparse crowds being damaging.

The issue with folk living in denial is the continued false claim that racing was so much better in years gone by. There is no denial needed, the evidence is readily available on Youtube.

I just went there, first meeting I found, decided to watch it through... ONE Pass in 13 heats. Riders spread out in some races more than you ever saw last season.. in fact I think two of them still haven't finished heat 3. Commentator Dave Lanning several times tells us that it's the very best of British League Racing we are seeing... things really don't change do they?

Of course, it all looks much better because of the big crowd, which proves the point I've been making since TV coverage first began.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

I also like matches that are not done and dusted by heat 5, close matches or those where it’s a definite possible that the away team has a good chance of winning is surely the better spectacle, watching the bottom side getting a complete pasting at one of the better teams is like watching paint dry.

• Like 1

Personally, I have long since rubbished the idea that racing was better in the 70s. Any lack of good racing though was often made up for in characters, many star names, rider styles, having your riders and knowing they were yours, and often the tricky tracks made it appear that races were unpredictable.

Oh, and almost forgot, the number of fans who gathered on the terraces back then probably felt the same, many, like yours truly, who is bored stiff with what's on offer today.

39 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I also like matches that are not done and dusted by heat 5, close matches or those where it’s a definite possible that the away team has a good chance of winning is surely the better spectacle, watching the bottom side getting a complete pasting at one of the better teams is like watching paint dry.

If there is plenty of passing and "proper" racing then it's less likely the home side will win by a cricket score.

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Nobody is living in denial with regards to tv meets being shown in front of sparse crowds being damaging.

What too many folk are in denial about is that the core product is, all too often, completely boring.  That's the fundamental thing that needs to be fixed.

4 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

If there is plenty of passing and "proper" racing then it's less likely the home side will win by a cricket score.

What too many folk are in denial about is that the core product is, all too often, completely boring.  That's the fundamental thing that needs to be fixed.

But they have made it more exciting - what about the way teams now get more points depending on their winning margin? Thing is, that does little to increase entertainment or the final league table positions, just makes speedway tables a little confusing for long-time fans and new ones alike. Just let's have it simple.

2 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

They've kept more meetings alive by doing that but it doesn't improve the racing.

Doesn't alter the league table either, apart two sides switching places in mid-table.

17 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

They've kept more meetings alive by doing that but it doesn't improve the racing.

Greatly improves the event. A last heat decider, whether it's for the match, or an extra pt is always more exciting than a meaningless one, regardless of the action on the track.