British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Please find me that "quote." If not, please stick to the subject, instead of trying to smear my views. If you don't take my views, then what about all the thousands of lost fans that did pay but no longer attend,. Let's use them as a yardstick. How do we get them back?

The problem is most sports have this natural loss of fans, even football. I know of many, many folk who were season ticket holders or regular attenders to football but now don't go, or very infrequently go. However, the difference is, other sports, again especially football have a consistent flow of new supporters. Of course that is mostly down to media coverage.

The sport isn't going to recover by aiming to get 'back' those lost fans.. it has to learn how to attract new fans and keep them.

Unfortunately it is still such a long way behind in it's approach.

Still trying to shun a tv deal that they had finally figured out how to use in a positive fashion (i.e. ensuring there is a decent crowd).

Somehow being unable to find a sponsor for the TV coverage?? Seriously, how is that possible?ANYTHING is better than nothing. "Premiership Speedway brought to you by.." at the start and end of each advert break. Once one company has that, others will show an interest and bid a bit more to get it. Asking stupid prices from the off and ending up with nothing.. where oh where is the benefit in that?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:

No screw loose, my friend.  The second half gave us the chance of watching individual speedway racing, rather than team racing.

An opportunity to watch the home riders compete AGAINST each other as well as the opposing team members

Boocock v McKinlay ; Mountford v Lightfoot ; Fisher v Craven ; Fundin v Nygren ; Knutsson v Briggs . . . etc

Plus watching the stars of tomorrow develop - at Brandon there was Ron Wilson junior (Ray to you and me), the development of Mitch Shirra, Alf Busk, Rick Miller, Gary Guglielmi etc week on week, from falling off virtually every outing to competing with more established riders

Perhaps the main point you and others are missing is that it was the speedway racing that was the attraction, there were 20 heats to watch (plus invariably the third half!) and it was the only way to watch speedway from one week to the next, without visiting other tracks [this is where my previous post remained on-topic with regard to television]

Dont ever recall leaving after heat 13!

Second halves are a complete and utter waste of time. You are arguing from the point of view of us old time fans who used to love watching every single race, even riders practicing gave us a thrill. Those days are gone, there is a new breed of supporter out there and they're not interested in practice races, exhibition races.

I'm like you, I never used to leave, I would always stay for 2nd halves, whatever the 2nd half may have been and then riders practicing after that. They were great days, but they're not going to get anyone back in through the door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Please find me that "quote." If not, please stick to the subject, instead of trying to smear my views. If you don't take my views, then what about all the thousands of lost fans that did pay but no longer attend,. Let's use them as a yardstick. How do we get them back?

Are trying the denial act now. I can only quote what you yourself put on here. You also said that you wouldn't go now even if they paid you to. Deny that if you can.

Edited by Tsunami

41 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Are trying the denial act now. I can only quote what you yourself put on here. You also said that you wouldn't go now even if they paid you to. Deny that you can.

I did say I wouldn't go now even if they paid me. You are right about one thing. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I did say I wouldn't go now even if they paid me. You are right about one thing. 

Are there no ends to your nonsense?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

It doesn't tell part of the story, it tells the whole story. 

It is simply bona fide fact that the more teams there are in a league, the more perceived 'star' riders there will be.

I agree with most of your post but that is just the ebb and flow of individual riders careers and nothing to do with the original point.

...personally I forgot what the original point was now!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Are there no ends to your nonsense?

No.. not usually. I like to mingle with people of similar views.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

I remember at both Reading and Swindon, you'd get a massive crowd gathering around the exit at heat 13, many of whom would run into the car park before the race was even finished. I used to get a lift with one guy who used to do this.

Never understood it myself. Much easier to leave half way through the second half and avoid the queues.

I think some people these days over-estimate what second halves meant to the majority of the crowd.

...and more than probable that these same people question value for money nowadays.

Personally I liked the 13 heat formula (as did John Berry) but I grew up watching matches over 14, 15 & 16 heats and each had their particular merits.

However personally I would want more than just 15 heats of speedway (in whatever guise) to satisfy my deemed value for money but that's my personal choice.

• Like 1

I am going back to my colleagues at BT to try and find out why the deal has not been announced as I was originally told it was tied in to a BT announcement that they had secured the rights to Moto GP long term and that they were running an advertising campaign about the home of motorbike racing with Moto GP,UK Speedway and GP Speedway 

This announcement has now taken place and the ad campaign is in full swing but no mention of the Speedway 

29 minutes ago, flagrag said:

I am going back to my colleagues at BT to try and find out why the deal has not been announced as I was originally told it was tied in to a BT announcement that they had secured the rights to Moto GP long term and that they were running an advertising campaign about the home of motorbike racing with Moto GP,UK Speedway and GP Speedway 

This announcement has now taken place and the ad campaign is in full swing but no mention of the Speedway 

Maybe BT won't start showing domestic racing until the summer, like last year, when the table is just heating up.

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Somehow being unable to find a sponsor for the TV coverage?? Seriously, how is that possible?ANYTHING is better than nothing. "Premiership Speedway brought to you by.." at the start and end of each advert break. Once one company has that, others will show an interest and bid a bit more to get it. Asking stupid prices from the off and ending up with nothing.. where oh where is the benefit in that?

Not sure if it is just a 'fake news' situation but I recall a post stating that a top company was offered the title sponsor position for nothing and turned it down as they didnt feel that the connection would be good for them even though it was free.

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Not sure if it is just a 'fake news' situation but I recall a post stating that a top company was offered the title sponsor position for nothing and turned it down as they didnt feel that the connection would be good for them even though it was free.

If this was true.. which I highly doubt, that's one company.. there are thousands!

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

If this was true.. which I highly doubt, that's one company.. there are thousands!

Totally agree - it is a disgrace that no deal has been done over the years.

22 hours ago, Grachan said:

I remember at both Reading and Swindon, you'd get a massive crowd gathering around the exit at heat 13, many of whom would run into the car park before the race was even finished. I used to get a lift with one guy who used to do this.

Never understood it myself. Much easier to leave half way through the second half and avoid the queues.

I think some people these days over-estimate what second halves meant to the majority of the crowd.

...and more than probable that these same people question value for money nowadays.

Personally I liked the 13 heat formula (as did John Berry) but I grew up watching matches over 14, 15 & 16 heats and each had their particular merits.

However personally I would want more than just 15 heats of speedway (in whatever guise) to satisfy my deemed value for money but that's my personal choice.

TV coverage will/has always caused debate but the bottom line is that although speedway has featured for nearly twenty years on satellite TV it's failed to attract a new audience and interest which is a worrying trend.

Edited by steve roberts