British Speedway Forum

Interesting to see Poole, arguably the best-supported club in Britain, cutting its cloth accordingly after losing TV revenue. One of the things they are departing from is the team outfits and returning to race jackets. Seems some of us aren't actually living in the past but have chosen to return to it.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

TV coverage will/has always caused debate but the bottom line is that although speedway has featured for nearly twenty years on satellite TV it's failed to attract a new audience and interest which is a worrying trend.

And it is blindingly obvious the reasons why. Nothing to do with 'on track action' either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

And it is blindingly obvious the reasons why. Nothing to do with 'on track action' either.

Was it the green helmet, double points, six-lap nominated heats, riders on handicaps and going for double-points, that mole thingy Sky used to sort of mock us all (just remembered that), getting rid of  Suzi Perry, then Sophie Blake? Seriously though, racing has been decent standard. But in Speedway, it isn't always about racing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Was it the green helmet, double points, six-lap nominated heats, riders on handicaps and going for double-points, that mole thingy Sky used to sort of mock us all (just remembered that), getting rid of  Suzi Perry, then Sophie Blake? Seriously though, racing has been decent standard. But in Speedway, it isn't always about racing. 

Quite simply week after week it was broadcast in front of a minimal, atmosphere-less crowd. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Quite simply week after week it was broadcast in front of a minimal, atmosphere-less crowd. 

Would that keep away a casual observer in front of his Tv who liked the racing? Some of the football matches I watch on TV have 30,000 in the crowd and it can be deathly quiet. I understand your point though... used to love Wolves coming to Belle Vue in the mid-90s, they brought with them loads of fans and helped whip up some life into the Belle Vue fans. Proper atmosphere.  

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

...but not 'blindingly obvious' to those running the sport evidently!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Would that keep away a casual observer in front of his Tv who liked the racing? Some of the football matches I watch on TV have 30,000 in the crowd and it can be deathly quiet. I understand your point though... used to love Wolves coming to Belle Vue in the mid-90s, they brought with them loads of fans and helped whip up some life into the Belle Vue fans. Proper atmosphere.  

...used to get great atmospheres when the likes of Swindon, Reading, Coventry & Cradley visited Cowley but even in my time following 'The Cheetahs' travelling support was diminishing and  local derbies no longer guaranteed a good all round feel as they once did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...but not 'blindingly obvious' to those running the sport evidently!

Is that really surprising? 

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Would that keep away a casual observer in front of his Tv who liked the racing? 

Not all, but it would some. The sheep factor.

19 hours ago, moxey63 said:

...I'd agree regarding "it isn't always about racing" as I used to enjoy having a good chat with those around me but when those people began to noticeably diminish over a period of a few years (for many reasons) the attraction began to wear a bit thin and it was left to just a few to add some bite to proceedings. In fact the racing sometimes became very much secondary on occasions!

• Like 2

Steve, as well as that I had to start paying to get in (ah ah). I often think what many would feel are minor changes - the change in bikes, handlebars, rider styles, race jackets and ditching leathers have made speedway, to me, not as arty as years ago. I only have to get a glimpse of an old photo and I realise, to me, speedway isn't the same sport when you look at modern pictures.

I am living in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Steve, as well as that I had to start paying to get in (ah ah). I often think what many would feel are minor changes - the change in bikes, handlebars, rider styles, race jackets and ditching leathers have made speedway, to me, not as arty as years ago. I only have to get a glimpse of an old photo and I realise, to me, speedway isn't the same sport when you look at modern pictures.

I am living in the past.

And still in denial and lying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

:wink: Two words - Mike Ashley!

....and  ????

incidently, I've also two words for you and your lying and deceit on this thread.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

....and  ????

incidently, I've also two words for you and your lying and deceit on this thread.

Next.

Still some way to catch up with Mike Ashley and the way he's had you toon lot!

Smalltime club.

Bring King Kev back, I say.

I'd love it!

Edited by moxey63