British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

They seemed a lot happier paying for it when Terry was involved. People can comment all they like about Terry Russell, but when he was negotiating TV deals there was regular speedway on the box from the start of the season to the finish and very few doubts about whether or not there would be.

This is not accurate surely.

I thought Terry Russell was very much involved in negotiating when Sky decided they wanted out on their deal last year. And was also involved in cobbling together last year's arrangement to salvage the half year arrangement with BT. 

Actually not criticising TR here ... Just didn't think the sequence of events you state is quite right.

10 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

This is not accurate surely.

I thought Terry Russell was very much involved in negotiating when Sky decided they wanted out on their deal last year. And was also involved in cobbling together last year's arrangement to salvage the half year arrangement with BT. 

Actually not criticising TR here ... Just didn't think the sequence of events you state is quite right.

If that's the case, he managed to negotiate getting it on another channel.

I think people have always been unfair to TR regarding speedway on TV. If he made money out of it, so what? We were able to watch a lot of televised speedway over the years because of it, so hopefully this will now continue despite some promotions apparently being against it.

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

If that's the case, he managed to negotiate getting it on another channel.

I think people have always been unfair to TR regarding speedway on TV. If he made money out of it, so what? We were able to watch a lot of televised speedway over the years because of it, so hopefully this will now continue despite some promotions apparently being against it.

As I made clear. I offered no criticism of TR.

22 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Does Godspeed still have the copyright to all Speedway video and photographs.

i've signed all my photographer paperwork this year and can't remember the GoSpeed bits being in there

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S not about when TV are there. Workington claim that they lost 300 fans last year because of speedway on TV. Work that one out.

Perhaps not a good idea to run against a GP 

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Workington are a Saturday night track. Looks like 300 stayed at home and watched GP instead of going to a live meeting.

I think many promoters are wary about running against a GP.

Shouldn’t be much of a problem this year with only 14 Championship Fixtures 

11 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Perhaps not a good idea to run against a GP 

Shouldn’t be much of a problem this year with only 14 Championship Fixtures 

And they were against the domestic TV deal ... no clashes there

• Like 1

As I have said before, a relative of mine did the Maths, and worked out it was cheaper to subscribe to Sky than go every week to Lynn. They lost 2 admissions + good/drinks etc every week because of that decision. And, as he says, I got the boxing as well.

Each to their own, but it does show the case is not as black and white as some try and make out.

How much has Lynn lost over the last X years since Sky starting broadcasting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

As I have said before, a relative of mine did the Maths, and worked out it was cheaper to subscribe to Sky than go every week to Lynn. They lost 2 admissions + good/drinks etc every week because of that decision. And, as he says, I got the boxing as well.

Each to their own, but it does show the case is not as black and white as some try and make out.

How much has Lynn lost over the last X years since Sky starting broadcasting.

Ah but, the smell isn't nearly as good! :P

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GO Speed (Terry Russell) no longer involved with TV negotiations going forward but deal for 2018 has already been done, although a small number of promoters are still bitching about it.

Those small amount of promoters should think themselves lucky we have a TV deal and they will get something out of it.

Edited by Starman2006

12 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

But they would have got payments from Sky, so they wouldnt have lost a whole lot. Perhaps when Sky/BT are in town the promotion do a tenner for that meeting, dangle the carrot..

/

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Those small amount of promoters should think themselves lucky we have a TV deal and they will get something out of it.

So if there are four matches on a Monday night and one if televised the gates will be quite a bit down on all the matches. I would hate to be promoting any of those four matches. What's lucky about that?

9 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

But they would have got payments from Sky, so they wouldnt have lost a whole lot. Perhaps when Sky/BT are in town the promotion do a tenner for that meeting, dangle the carrot..

But they keep on losing, week in week out - where is the line when Sky payments are more than those who don't go

Speedway is its own worst enemy. Season upon season we have promoters annual "We may not run next year," followed by "We're ok to run," once March arrives. It is so unprofessional.

When tracks like Coventry and Cradley, and Oxford, can fall by the wayside... all major clubs 30 years ago, there does become a time when even the most ardent of fan walks from their last meeting thinking whether it's the last they'll see, through choice or the impending bulldozers rolling in. 

Peter Oakes was correct recently, pointing out that only one club had gone out of business through financial hardship - Hull. So, reading that fact, it does make you feel that speedway's future may not be in the hands of the new brigade of fans, but on how much the land is worth that the track sits on.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2