British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Poland who will break through.?

I watch alot of the Polish racing and what a  great product it is to. Outside of the top boys who are next in line to break through be interesting to get some predictions. Drabik - Smektala- Woryna- Kubera out of those four for me Drabik will definitely be a GP rider Smektala i really like has  improved alot in my opinion Woryna to has real talent the strength in depth Poland have is frightening.

Sidney,

You're right, last year I saw Woryna win the Polish championship (think that's what it was) and one other event both with the likes of Dudek etc competing. I had not heard too much about him and there he was beating all the big names from Poland. Does show the depth from Poland!

The Poles have always been dominating at under 21 level, but very few of their talented Juniors ever reached the very top of world speedway at senior level. Good quality riders they have a lot, indeed, but World Champion material they have very little - in fact only Tomasz Gollob, following that 1973 exception of Jerzy Szczakiel. 

The current bunch of Polish Youngsters is exceptionally good, but behind those we currently alreayd know I can't see any more superstars on the horizon. Among their sixteen to nineteen year olds there are no exceptional talents. 

Poland won the SWC with what could have been an Under 23 team last year. Apart from the "Poland Legacy" team. (KK, PP1, Kołodziej, Hampel etc) you have that SWC winning generation of Bartosz, Dudek, PP2, PP3, and Magic who could form the backbone of a dominant team for many years to come. Behind them you have the likes of Szymon Woźniak and PP4, not to mention the 4 musketeers mentioned in the original post. Bright days ahead for Poland on the international front, and plenty enough riders there who can mount a serious challenge for world championship honours. But as history shows, it only takes one "freak" rider from an unexpected country, indeed the only rider from a country of the required quality (e.g. Tai, Hancock etc) and the whole equation is altered. Indeed Poland with Jerzy Szczakiel did exactly that when British and New Zealand riders were back then, just as dominant as Polish riders are today. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Poland won the SWC with what could have been an Under 23 team last year. Apart from the "Poland Legacy" team. (KK, PP1, Kołodziej, Hampel etc) you have that SWC winning generation of Bartosz, Dudek, PP2, PP3, and Magic who could form the backbone of a dominant team for many years to come. Behind them you have the likes of Szymon Woźniak and PP4, not to mention the 4 musketeers mentioned in the original post. Bright days ahead for Poland on the international front, and plenty enough riders there who can mount a serious challenge for world championship honours. But as history shows, it only takes one "freak" rider from an unexpected country, indeed the only rider from a country of the required quality (e.g. Tai, Hancock etc) and the whole equation is altered. Indeed Poland with Jerzy Szczakiel did exactly that when British and New Zealand riders were back then, just as dominant as Polish riders are today. 

Hello uk_martin. Thanks for jogging my not too sharp mind.....in my above post I meant Wozniak. He really was quite impressive in the Championship of Poland!