British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Ronald Crozier Hillary

I have just received this email. I have never heard of Ronald Crozier Hillary. Can anyone shed any light on him?

"Dear Norman,

I'm looking to understand more about my grandfather, who is alleged to have ridden speedway for Wembley Lions in the pre-war years. We understand that he lived in London during the 1930s, and believe he was at the opening of the Wembley (Empire) swimming pool next to the stadium in 1934, (and apparently was thrown into the water when it opened), so some time around that era. In family folklore, there may have also been a connection with Belle Vue speedway - but know little more than that.

We knew him as Ronald (Ronny or Ron) Crozier Hillary, who hailed from the north east of England, in County Durham. Any help in proving or disproving where and when he rode, would be most helpful."

We actually went through this a few years ago (2003 in fact) on here, from a Stewart Smith, Ronald's grandson.  Looking at the wording here, it looks like it might be the same person enquiring?  I haven't linked to that thread, because nobody was able to come up with anything.

Steve