British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rearingtogo

King Cinder

3 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

I remember it well, bunking off from school early and zooming home (as fast as I could pedal)  to catch it, often getting into detention the next day but it was worth it.  Hope more of it becomes available....

It would be a long shot for the BBC to  release this one from the archives but as long as it is safely stored there's always hope. I'm sure there'll be more than a few Rye House supporters keen to see themselves forty years ago.

2 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You're very welcome. Incidentally, if you are into retro TV Kaleidoscope are an excellent organisation to take a look at. They stage screenings of rare TV four times a year in Birmingham as well as publish guides to TV programmes - Episode listings and archiving.

I do approve of your avatar! :-)

You're very welcome. Incidentally, if you are into retro TV Kaleidoscope are an excellent organisation to take a look at. They stage screenings of rare TV four times a year in Birmingham as well as publish guides to TV programmes - Episode listings and archiving.

I do approve of your avatar! :-)

Thanks for info Rob. Yes will never forget the great screensport part of the European sports network. Sadly missed and never forgotten. I also have a computer mouse pad with logo plus a t shirt with emblem on like my avatar.

6 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It would be a long shot for the BBC to  release this one from the archives but as long as it is safely stored there's always hope. I'm sure there'll be more than a few Rye House supporters keen to see themselves forty years ago.

Yes rob my wife was spotted in the crowd, another reason for obtaining a copy. She used to be Barry Thomas fan club secretary

1 minute ago, rearingtogo said:

Thanks for info Rob. Yes will never forget the great screensport part of the European sports network. Sadly missed and never forgotten. I also have a computer mouse pad with logo plus a t shirt with emblem on like my avatar.

We were only just getting into Sweden and Holland in my time there.

A bit of Googling has produced this. Looks like the photo was at a Hackney training session - that's not Rye House.

http://sideburnmag.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/king-cinder.html

1 minute ago, rearingtogo said:

Yes rob my wife was spotted in the crowd, another reason for obtaining a copy. She used to be Barry Thomas fan club secretary

In that case she'll know Mrs McCaffery who was a Hawks fan and duly collected her copy of his book yesterday. . Despite being a Rockets fan I missed the filming due to being away at uni. Quite a few of my friends took part. 

We were only just getting into Sweden and Holland in my time there.

A bit of Googling has produced this. Looks like the photo was at a Hackney training session - that's not Rye House.

http://sideburnmag.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/king-cinder.html

I thought you worked there, just mentioned you to my wife Jean  and she remembers she thinks her name was Mavis. She also has just purchased thommahawk book through Chris Fenn

It exists.  Peter Duncan confirmed as much when I spoke to him.  He put together the two-minute clip for his YouTube channel.

He's very fond of King Cinder.  It was a rare chance for him to appear on-screen with Lesley Manville, his girlfriend from that period. The two are still good friends to this day.

King Cinder is there, simply awaiting for the BBC to release it.  Whether they ever will is a different matter, although Peter Duncan was hopeful that the digital revolution will eventually result in somewhere where you can download old TV series.

Edited by lucifer sam

The BBC launched BBC Store to allow them to sell downloads of old series like this. They closed it shortly after.

It may well not be the case here but drama series have a record of being appalling to get clearance to release due to individual actors' rights which tends to make  it only worthwhile when you're sure of getting good sales to offset the legal costs.

Bob Monkhouse had a huge library of material he recorded from TV. It's safely preserved but virtually none of it can be released for viewing due to rights, although people are working on it.

Niche interests like King Cinder are likely to be sadly well down the queue. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

5 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

I thought you worked there, just mentioned you to my wife Jean  and she remembers she thinks her name was Mavis. She also has just purchased thommahawk book through Chris Fenn

My wife's spent the evening trying to remember your wife's name ;-) She uses 'Jay' now by the way, not the dreaded M word ;-)

I used to own the paperback book based upon the series but that 'disappeared' years ago!

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

My wife's spent the evening trying to remember your wife's name ;-) She uses 'Jay' now by the way, not the dreaded M word ;-)

Wife's name was Jean Blatch now Barnes. Her mum Elsie used to sell merchandise in the track shop at Hackney.

Edited by rearingtogo

On 20 February 2018 at 6:55 AM, steve roberts said:

I used to own the paperback book based upon the series but that 'disappeared' years ago!

I've got the book, and it's still obtainable in both hardback and paperback if any one is interested to purchase.

I wonder why it wasn't called King Shale, given that cinders were long since obsolete as a track surface? Was it down to public perception?

UPDATE FROM THE BBC.

Hello Kevin, and many thanks for getting in touch with your enquiry - it's great to hear from you! 

My name is David and I am a senior member of the BBC Audience Services department's investigation team with responsibility in this area, and so your contact has been assigned for my personal attention.

I was very interested to read your suggestion that King Cinder be released on DVD - it's not a series I had actually heard of myself so I have looked into it! Peter Duncan I of course recognise from his subsequent presenting of Blue Peter, but also Tony Caunter more recently from EastEnders.

I would explain that whether or not any current or archive BBC programme gets released commercially would down to a purely commercial decision. BBC Worldwide Limited is the BBC's commercial subsidiary which exists to monetise BBC programmes and brands through merchandising, DVD or digital downloads, and programme/format sales to other broadcasters in the UK and around the world. 

BBC Worldwide would also be the ones who would deal with any licensing enquiries from third parties who were interested in acquiring the rights to programmes to release them commercially, eg on DVD. As you will appreciate, it can be an incredibly difficult - and thus time-consuming and expensive - process to investigate and then re-negotiate legal permissions and broadcasting/performing rights, and for many old programmes this can actually be impossible. 

I have to say that it feels very unlikely to me that releasing King Cinder on DVD would be commercially viable in light of the costs involved in doing so compared to the expected returns, and at the end of the day BBC Worldwide (or any third party distributor who may be interested) exists to make a profit which is then reinvested back into the BBC to help us make more new programmes and services thus keeping everyone's TV Licence fee lower than it would otherwise have to be. You can certainly ask BBC Worldwide directly if this is something that's on their radar, and you can essentially pitch to them why you believe it would be a good idea for them, and you could also see if any third party distributors may be interested in approaching them about this series?

Many thanks once again for taking the time to get in touch - I hope the above will be of some help to you.

Kind regards

David from the BBC Enquiries team 

www.bbc.co.uk/faqs

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting the case number we provided.

Feedback Summary - Need to release King cinder on dvd

Feedback Description - This 6 part series was screened on bbc1 in 1977  I am here to represent a voice from the speedway community who are very much interested in seeing this released. There will be a fair amount of revenue to you if this is released. This series is often talked about on a forum and I'm trying my utmost to pursue it to be released. I do hope this happens, we are all waiting for a happy outcome on this query.

Update:-  Sorry everything has gone quiet for a considerable amount of time on investigating the release of king cinder which you may know was shown on the bbc in the seventies in a six part series. I have been in touch with a company called simply media who I believe to be the last avenue to go down in order for it to be released. I have explained that I believe there would be a great response from the speedway community that it would be viable to release it, and what I would suggest is that all interested parties would go to their site which is www.simplymedia.tv and either email or phone in. All their other dvd releases are on their site under consumer sales. In the meantime I await their response from either email or by phone.So please go to their site and get in touch.All the best for now, Rearing to go.http://www.simplymedia.tv/ 

Edited by rearingtogo
Supplying a link