British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Which rider is to improve the most in 2018

5 minutes ago, ray c said:

If he is talented in which he is why not ? Got to keep away from injuries of coarse. I think he is the best young brit we have seen for a long time.  

While I agree that Bewley is a great talent has everyone forgotten that Robert Lambert is still only 19.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a question of forgetting Lambert. He is obviously a talent but I have doubts as to how far he will get. I think he is going to be a good rider but have my doubts about him getting to the very top. I hope I am wrong and I could be if he has a breakthrough season.

I think the difference with Bewley is that he has only been involved in speedway for two years and because of his injuries in 2016 has not yet actually completed two full seasons. When you take that into account his progress has been exceptional. Over more than 50 years I have seen very few riders who have convinced me so early in their careers that they have the talent to get to the top. Collins, Morton and Lee are other similar British examples. 

Having said all of that I think he will improve his average but it will be no easy task for him to become a second string at Belle Vue this year. Drozdz is the unknown quantity who he may replace but I don't expect him to replace Tungate, who I think is going to have a very good year.

• Like 1

I actually believe Bewley having a great home track will help him when he moves up the levels and he rides the bigger tracks abroad.The biggest attributes he has are that i believe is he is a very level headed  character he has a hell of a racing brain and has a very good temperment i look forward to supporting him through out his career.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 4

On 05/03/2018 at 12:07 PM, MattK said:

Precisely. At least it is a level playing field for all teams. I am simply exacerbated that Swindon didn't utilise this, especially after winning the league with a ringer last year.

Don't worry. The ringer will be coming once Morris and Bellego have got their averages down enough.

39 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I don't think it's a question of forgetting Lambert. He is obviously a talent but I have doubts as to how far he will get. I think he is going to be a good rider but have my doubts about him getting to the very top. I hope I am wrong and I could be if he has a breakthrough season.

I think the difference with Bewley is that he has only been involved in speedway for two years and because of his injuries in 2016 has not yet actually completed two full seasons. When you take that into account his progress has been exceptional. Over more than 50 years I have seen very few riders who have convinced me so early in their careers that they have the talent to get to the top. Collins, Morton and Lee are other similar British examples. 

Having said all of that I think he will improve his average but it will be no easy task for him to become a second string at Belle Vue this year. Drozdz is the unknown quantity who he may replace but I don't expect him to replace Tungate, who I think is going to have a very good year.

I remember seeing a 15yr old Lambert riding for Lynn starlets, scoring 21 points against Stoke and thinking this was indeed a privilege to be there and watch him ride.    From the gate or from the back he was majestic. He was from another planet. it was a case of men versus boys,    He was winning races by the country mile.     Obviously people were making comparisons with some of the greats we had previously seen at Lynn,  and Lambert was rightly compared with them all.  What was so noticeable that night was his persona,    he walked  about the pits with a massive smile on his face and was so comfortable within  and those around him.    He appeared to be walking on cloud 9.

How things have changed in those 5yrs.   He cannot be happy with the small progress he makes each year,. Averaging just over 7.30  must be disappointing for someone with so much talent.  I wont except there are 20 riders better than him riding in our league.   You see him walking about and he appears to have all the troubles going.   That big smile has gone and replaced with trepidation.  although, some of his races are out of the top drawer,  others are best forgotten.    A top world class rider has to perform in every race..

I don't profess to know the answers,   but something is definitely not working.    I hope he can find the answers that will project him to the heights he should aim for,  and to illustrate his capabilities of being a top 10 rider....

• Like 1

I've been watching speedway at Lynn since 72.A Mike Lee he is not(in some things a good thing lol).He's only 19,but has had good experience for his age.Any 19 year old would be over the moon with his average.I don't know what Darcy Ward ave was when he was 19??.

I don't know if he has a full time mentor, but I think he needs one.The first thing he needs work on is his gating. The 2nd is his attitude .No one is bigger than a club.Not Busters club.As proved with the to**er twins.

I don't know if anyone is putting pressure on him ,or if he's putting on it himself.But he needs to concentrate on his riding and let others do the rest

• Like 2

Like you, I have been around a long time.  Mike Lee was a once in a lifetime happening, and it would be wrong to compare others to him.   But Robert Lambert was that good , I don't apologise for making that comparison. .  You say for a 19yr old,  he should be over the moon with his average,  that's where we differ..   In our weakened league he should be far better  than his current score.  

I have been associated with fellow workers all my life and believe my  interpersonal skill is an invaluable commodity.     A person will perform much better if they are happy  rather then troubled.  and when I look at Robert he appears to have all the troubles possible.     Because of  his attitude being wrong,   he doesn't reap the rewards his talent deserves....     You pick up a book and read that Roberts not happy.   You hear rumors of a petty argument with Niels. You see him gestating to the fans ,     all the behaviour of someone who is troubled.

Nobody could doubt his ability on a bike,  but just wish he would channel all his efforts into riding, like we know he can...  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Like you, I have been around a long time.  Mike Lee was a once in a lifetime happening, and it would be wrong to compare others to him.   But Robert Lambert was that good , I don't apologise for making that comparison. .  You say for a 19yr old,  he should be over the moon with his average,  that's where we differ..   In our weakened league he should be far better  than his current score.  

I have been associated with fellow workers all my life and believe my  interpersonal skill is an invaluable commodity.     A person will perform much better if they are happy  rather then troubled.  and when I look at Robert he appears to have all the troubles possible.     Because of  his attitude being wrong,   he doesn't reap the rewards his talent deserves....     You pick up a book and read that Roberts not happy.   You hear rumors of a petty argument with Niels. You see him gestating to the fans ,     all the behaviour of someone who is troubled.

Nobody could doubt his ability on a bike,  but just wish he would channel all his efforts into riding, like we know he can...  

We all know Roberts nemesis is his gating and if he is to become a top rider then that part of his racing certainly has to improve. I think this is a big year for him, just sorting his gating out could easily put a point on his average and with good equipment under him (I’m sure he will have) I’m looking for him to achieve a nine point average this year. 

Improved gating = more wins,  more wins = more points,  more wins = more confidence,  all of these = happy rider, happy rider = my 9 point target for him. With the standard of the league now I’m sure he can achieve this and if he does we will definitely not be in the bottom two like most people seem to predict we will be.

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I don't know what Darcy Ward ave was when he was 19??.

Darcy Ward wold have been 19 in May 2011, his EL average for the 2011 season was 8.94.

I would hope Bewley would do fine in the 1-5 of the Ace's lineup.

When Collins, Morton, and Lee were coming through there is no comparison at all to the type of riders they were coming up against on a weekly basis as we had by far the strongest league in the world in those days, no doubt riding against the very best week in week out brought their natural ability through. Bewley and Lambert both have a natural talent but as we have seen many times before British riders have in the past failed to live up to expectation. I think Bewley will progress as someone else has stated he has a good racing brain and has his feet firmly on the ground, a lot of that grounding I think is down to his mentor Steve Lawson who is doing a great job looking after Dan, and this is what could be the one thing missing with Lambert, having someone with that experience to help him channel his obvious talent in the right direction. He did seem reluctant to re sign for the Stars this season, lets hope that's not a negative and he can settle down and take the next step in his improvement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Gestating to the crowd, do you mean he is giving birth during the race !!

Lambert is still very young, too much pressure could tip him the wrong way ie Too many nights out with so called friends,drinking too much of the devil's brew,a certain L B from Eastbourne is the perfect example, 16 years old full of potential, but choose the wrong company.

Robert like Dan has the natural ability to go all the way with his career, I so hope he does. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Col said:

Darcy Ward wold have been 19 in May 2011, his EL average for the 2011 season was 8.94.

I would hope Bewley would do fine in the 1-5 of the Ace's lineup.

I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Darcy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bellevueace said:

When Collins, Morton, and Lee were coming through there is no comparison at all to the type of riders they were coming up against on a weekly basis as we had by far the strongest league in the world in those days, no doubt riding against the very best week in week out brought their natural ability through. Bewley and Lambert both have a natural talent but as we have seen many times before British riders have in the past failed to live up to expectation. I think Bewley will progress as someone else has stated he has a good racing brain and has his feet firmly on the ground, a lot of that grounding I think is down to his mentor Steve Lawson who is doing a great job looking after Dan, and this is what could be the one thing missing with Lambert, having someone with that experience to help him channel his obvious talent in the right direction. He did seem reluctant to re sign for the Stars this season, lets hope that's not a negative and he can settle down and take the next step in his improvement.

Steve Lawson what a rider he was Mr Glasgow for years he was a quiet guy just like Dan.It must be great having someone in your corner who was a very good rider  seen it done it and has bags of experience also having them there as a friend as well must be great.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Darcy.

How do you make that out ? Gollob COULD do things on a bike that only others could dream of!!!

• Like 4