British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Which rider is to improve the most in 2018

Darcy was undoubtedly an outstanding talent and who knows what he may have achieved. It was a tragedy that his career was cut short when he was only 23. 

It's all a matter of opinion. I agree about Peter Craven, who was known as the wizard of balance. PeterCollins also had incredible skills. I remember seeing Peter win a race after his handlebars snapped in half. Fortunately  the right half of the bars was still secure and he continued by holding onto the top of the forks with his left hand and controlling the bike with his right hand. I have no idea how he still managed to slide it round the bends at speed but he did. Michael Lee was another incredible rider and all three, Craven, Collins and Lee were World Champions before they were 23. Those three and others, like the Moran brothers, who had fantastic bike skills, can certainly be compared to Darcy and some of them had achieved more than Darcy at a younger age.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Col said:

Darcy Ward wold have been 19 in May 2011, his EL average for the 2011 season was 8.94.

I would hope Bewley would do fine in the 1-5 of the Ace's lineup.

I thought Ward's ave was nearer 8 at that age.Impressive.

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Darcy.

Not looked,but Mike Lee would be higher in the top league in the world at that time.

Both riders careers ended to early.Darcy by far the more tragic.

Darcy the best since Lee by a long way.

Edited by Bald Bloke

Can’t ever compare Bewley to Ward. 

For starters in this league Darcys 8.94 would have been closer to 10.00. 

So always going to be difficult. 

1 minute ago, poolebolton said:

What would Lee's of been

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Darcy.

Would be interesting to see how Zmarzlick compares, average wise at same age on the continent.

52 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Bewley has had one season in top tier British Speedway, who knows what he could achieve.

My post was responding to someone asking what Ward averaged at Lambert's current age. I also said that I hoped Bewley would be do OK in the Aces 1-5 in response to a separate question.

Ward was a special talent, while Lambert's same age stats do not compare well to him, they could well do in comparison to Doyle, Holder & Woffinden. All who have been World Speedway Champion, which Ward will never be, sadly. But I don't think staying at Kings Lynn was best for Lambert in 2018.

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

, What would Lee's of been

Michael Lee, in only his  third year,  1977,   aged just 18,  won the British Championship and only lost out in the World Final in atrocious conditions .  He topped the averages with 10.59.    and that was when the British League was the best in the world,  having all the best riders competing over here..

He was a bit special.....:t:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Col said:

Would be interesting to see how Zmarzlick compares, average wise at same age on the continent.

Zmarzlik's average was 8.22 in 2014 and 9.33 in 2015, however he would have been riding at reserve in both years.

Edited by MattK

I have no question in my mind that darcy ward if not injured would have been the greatest ever rider to grace the shale. That' how good he was. 

19 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I have no question in my mind that darcy ward if not injured would have been the greatest ever rider to grace the shale. That' how good he was. 

Spot on i remember one night at poole after the meeting first time on the track this young lad going round which of course was darcy i said to my wife hey this is special the rest is history 

He could also due to lifestyle choice just as easily gone the other way, to say he would have eclipsed the likes of Craven, Collins, Lee etc is a big big statement, one I don't agree with.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Zmarzlik's average was 8.22 in 2014 and 9.33 in 2015, however he would have been riding at reserve in both years.

So in 2016 Zmarzlik was not at reserve?  If so his 9.9 Polish Ekstraliga average that year is much better than 7.95 2012 figure that Ward achieved at the same age.

Of course this is not totally representative, Leon Madsen had a higher Polish Ekstraliga average than Jason Doyle in 2017.

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Not sure i agree with that.

Hugely hugely gifted but would he have ever won a world title? Maybe but sadly we will never know........trouble was his application and dedication was appalling and may have held him back

• Like 1